Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I have started to watch this show due to this thread, drat, it's so good :aaa:

Totally didn't expect the death of Siegfred so early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm watching this show for the second time and enjoying it even more than the first time. It's amazing. Right now just finished ep 104.

Laughed so hard with Hilda's walk of shame after getting laid with Reinhard. So awkward and yet cute.

Also, I paid more attention to Oberstein as a character, and it's really impressive. He's basically the perfect left-hand man, cunning, dependable, smart, cold-blooded and extremely loyal in his own twisted way. Really liked when he put Bittenfeld, Muller and Wahlen in their place, he's probably the only one with balls enough to criticize Reinhard openly and smart enough to get away with it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Always thought the dwindling of population was attributed to the war thats before and after the fall of Earth as the capital of the space republic, general stagnation of society, the purges of Rudolf and the ban on people whith disabilities like Oberstein.

Or just the numbers aren't consistent enough through the series, like in 40k.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Legend of Galactic Heroes: Killing the characters you care for before GRRM made it fashionable.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

VostokProgram posted:

Finally finished. That was absolutely sublime. The greatest anime, and one of the greatest television shows.

Welcome to the enlightened, brother.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Keep watching, or you will miss Oberstein and his dog :colbert:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

DamnGlitch posted:

I got an ex that pretty much would not watch anime full stop to watch like 50 episodes of it . We probably would have finished if we'd, you know, stayed together. She was deeply invested in space bros Reinhard and Kirchiess, Yang and Dusty

Ironically, in episode 51 Yang proposes marriage to Frederica, so Yang ceases to be a space bro who doesn't touch women like the other three. Anyway it's quite an accomplishment, my own attempts to make other people watch this show have failed horribly.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Job Trunicht may be a lot of things, a liar, a demagogue, pure appearance and charm, interested only in power and its own interest, and seems to have very little ethical or moral principles. So, in short, a consummate politician with the bad habit of underestimating some of his enemies, sure., but he's no idiot.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Dodging episode previews, getting emotionally involved with the show and then getting all your hopes and dreams crushed by ruthless plot twists,ahhhh those were the days :corsair:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Krataar posted:

Star Wars thread kicked me onto this show. Saw the bolero clip a few months back. Finally learned the name of the show. I'm going to begin monday.

Edit: I assume theres no legit way of finding it other then :filez:

Please, post your progress reports, it's fun to read the reviews of people's first watch :allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
What the gently caress? that means eventually we're gonna get dvds at a reasonable price? :aaa:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Attenborough's space pirate impression was great. I really liked him, so I"ll be sad if he doesn't show up in the new series.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, I mean I just watched episode 13 last night, which has Commodore Fork and his plan to start a space ground war in space Asia. For personal self-interest. And anyone who points out this is a dumb plan, like Yang and EVERYONE ELSE THERE in the Navy judging by their facial expressions is called a defeatist traitor by him.

I'm really hoping Fork dies messily soon.

You're in for a treat.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Ovlesser was too busy murdering dozens of their goons to notice, anyway.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
It depends how you define "evil poo poo", but Reinhard said explicitly he saved his rear end to use him to do very shady things. In any case, Oberstein is one of the more ambiguous and enigmatic characters in the entire show.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Finally finished with this week's podcast, it's really amusing hearing a group of people watching this show for the first time, making predictions and thinking aloud about the characters. I look forward to the reactions of the crew in future episodes, especially Another Person.

Another Person posted:

e; real life painting

This show sometimes likes to portay scenes heavily inspired by real paintings. It's a nice little detail.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Sometimes, and only sometimes, this anime gets a little gay.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Chas McGill posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast but it seems like AP has a much better sense of the series than the anime fans...

Yep, I'm eagearly awaiting the next podcasts.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean Oberstein was in all likelihood correct that more than 2 million people were going to die if the war continued and there was no way the nobles were going to stop their poo poo

Oberstein did nothing wrong :colbert:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The Lippstdat League had more than 25 million soldiers, just for scale.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oberstein did plenty wrong, he just was probably correct and a loving rear end in a top hat

Oberstein did not care about morality or individuals, he only cared about acomplishing his objective in the most eficient way. Of course he was an unempathic bastard, he had to be a cold ruthless mofo to do his job. Reinhardt knew this and that's why he kept him around, he needed someone who was not afraid to get his hands dirty.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Both sides kept the war at a level of intensity that their economies could sustain, as that status quo benefited their respective establishments and true total war was too risky and costly to even consider.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I always read it more from the Empire side that they just didn't really care too much about the backwater rebels, who they didn't even recognise as a relevant state most of the time, while the FPA were hopped up on the "liberate the people!!!" propaganda, distracting them from all of the poo poo the government were doing.

Also, isn't the whole point of the first look we get at the FPA "the economy can't sustain this war because we've done suicide mission after suicide mission after suicide mission and draining all of the talent" while the Empire is a touch of "we're so vast and decadent that we can go back to quaint medieval tech for aesthetic purposes and pimp out our ships to look imposing and elegant instead of being optimal combat vessels

and we're still at parity, so that as soon as someone vaguely competent takes charge we can conquer the FPA in a couple years."

The only hope for the FPA would've been if other toga wearing assholes like the Kastropp rebellion rose up and seceded from the Empire successfully, and then the nobles did their civil war shtick.

A continuous estate of relatively low-scale warfare was beneficial for the rich and powerful of the Galactic Empire, FPA and Phezzan . On one hand, it was one way to channel the ambitions of the younger nobles to a cause beneficial for the state and at the same time give them the chance to earn glory and rank to keep them busy. On the other hand, the war against the Empire was a continuous source of political gains for the corrupt war hawks of the FPA and the means to perpetuate in power. Let's remember that beside from these reasons, this balance of power was actually maintained by Phezzan behind the scenes.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yang Wen-li, the rational alcoholic.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kingtheninja posted:

Episode 53 ARRRRRRGGGGGG! He was right loving there! Just say you slipped and push a button to blow that ship up! I will say the empire is an entertaining bad guy, but trunhit and his earth church just piss me off so much more. I hope this immediately diverts to pirate captain Merkatz adventures.

There's only one true space pirate captain in this show, wait ten episodes or so and you'll see what I mean.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
You are one of us now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Bleck posted:

Haven't been in this thread because I'm trying to avoid spoilers in my first watch of the OVA, but I just wanted to let you all know that I just finished episode 82 and I am not okay.

One of us! One of us!