Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I love this series because the story has that undertone of imperialism mixed in with moral dilemmas reminiscent old school 50's sci-fi.
I love the reboot, too. Same feel; better graphics. I'm not a huge fan of some of the character development because it feels like it replaces a bunch of needed exposition for the sociopolitical situation between the empire and the federation. Otherwise, I think it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm watching the Sentai version, so the official translations.

There's two lines I generally find difficult - the ones where they mention the name of some government agency and it's long, but the solution there is to train myself to get over getting caught up on those lines.

The other ones are the fast moving discussions that deal with all these concepts. Part of it is that the fine details are important, so you need to keep up with the fast moving subtitles.

I think it helps to just listen to the Japanese. Most of their subjects happen at the end of their sentences so most of the conversation happens from the get go. Gloss over the titles and formalities and read the second half of each English sentence and it should fit much more easily.

Honestly, this type of show lines up really well with old sci-fi shows like OG Star Trek. Turn it on and make some dinner. The plot is deep but you shouldn't fret over it. Watch it a few times and the details will fill in.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
It's so juicy and I'm glad it's back. More ethics, more tactics and more elitism!

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!
I wouldn't mind this series forever rebooted every 15 years to get some fresh story spice and graphic aesthetics.

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

Chris Knight posted:

Gotta say I did a little fist pump at that epilogue.

I share these sentiments. More Wen-Li alliance shenanigans!

I forgot what happened to whoever's graves Yang Wen-Li brought flowers for.
I guess I need to watch it all over again.