Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of watching Gaiden before LoGH proper. There's less jumping around until you get used to the characters, allowing both Reinhardt and Yang to focus on being awesome.

They're also all remastered and they look pretty cool, it looks a lot like the new parts of the zeta gundam movies. The only issue I think is that the slow start of the show proper would be kind of painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I guess I cared more about the characters than the plot then.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't really care about realism but I always found it amusing that it felt more like watching cavalry go at each other more than spaceships to me, I can think of only one time when anyone used space's 3d movement to their advantage too, and it was Yang.

Further proof that in the future everyone is brought up to be dumber than a brick as Reinhardt states.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Master tactician!

Natural leader!

Awkward virgin.

This Fall on UPN.

The best part was how after the deed was done she looked physically distraught. He's that bad.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I did not know his name until now but drat, an artist has left the building.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is not a problem exclusive to anime, either. People blame the lowest common denominator for decrease in the quality of entertainment a lot but it is usually just as much the fault of 'the fans' if not more.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

LoGH shows its age as a setting placed in the future, a lot of things have changed since the Berlin Wall and the Internet, and it does not live up to modern realistic standards in my opinion. But there are no actual fantasy elements in it.

Granted a lot of the elements in the show would work better if it were about dudes with swords and bows instead of ships in space, but it does not really affect the core themes of the show, which are pretty grounded in standard science fiction fare.

As for how those themes are handled? I think it is pretty terrible that the show had to resort to criminally incapable leadership as a motivator for war, it is completely disconnected from modern warfare and honestly it is a pretty bad message to give because there's so much more at play than people being entitled megalomaniacs.

It is still one of the most memorable things that came out of Japan in the past century, though, and it says a lot that many of its characters are better than those from newer attempts at space wars.

e: clarity.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 24, 2012

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, it being placed in the future really works a lot better in the end. As for the motivator? A lot of the conflict in the show comes from people who have no idea what they're doing getting themselves or their subordinates killed out of pride, ignorance or both (Every noble during Reinhardt's rise to power, Reuental's last betrayal, everything ever done by the FPA when Yang and friends are not in charge) to the point that at the end both sides come to an agreement after the leaders actually talk to each other. Once.

Of course this is not always the case, and the space battles are a lot more interesting when it isn't. I would say those are the show's strongest arcs, at least as far as I'm concerned.

For all its praise, I can't say it portrays war or politics all that well, though it certainly is engaging. My hat is off to any TV show that has a scene where a peaceful protest is lethally suppressed though.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 27, 2012

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

Quick question do the other people (ie non main character types) get smarter in the series instead of being blindly and somehow criminally retarded? I watched up to episode 16 but it seems every one-off or somewhat important character is so retarded it breaks my immersion.

EDIT: Like trying to attack iserlohn after losing it; the loving fort that annihilated 6 or 7 alliance fleets. The food riots on the occupied planets, like seriously people need food and looting = riots

Antagonists who aren't part of the main cast don't stop being offensively stupid until episode 30 or so. They don't entirely disappear after that, but the 'imbecile of the week' episodes more or less stop.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I liked Yang's spiral labyrinth arc, it is mostly him doing some investigative work while finding his place in the FPA. It is no way as epic as Reinhardt's rise through power, you could say that about most of the show but these don't even compare in scope seriously.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

WYA posted:

Episode 19 so far and I cant decide if Yang > Lohenngram.

I would say that Yang and his cabinet are a lot more interesting because of how down to Earth they are for being, well, Galactic Heroes. Lohengram's ranks are made of characters who start out as larger than life and only get bigger from there.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is really sad that a show 30 years old is better science fiction than the grand majority of things made in recent years. The characters are really unique, mixing a traditional larger than life space opera cast with a bunch of fairly grounded guys more on the genre savvy side of things. And it depicts corrupt democracies in a way that most media wouldn't dare approach.

Don't get me wrong, it is old and it shows, and about the worst thing you can do is get into it thinking it is The Best Thing Ever because it cannot live up to that expectation. It is still better than 90% of fiction ever, though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

A lot of fiction tries to glorify (or at least make sympathetic) authoritarian governments, and a lot more do it through subtext, so I don't think it is particularly unique there. I would say it is unique in that it does depict a benevolent dictatorship with its ups and downs in a fairly grounded, if somewhat archaic and outdated, manner.

Really, I just think "alt history show set in the far future" is a better description than sci fi or space opera, and might be a better way to approach the show in general.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is why I always tell people to approach the show keeping in mind it is old, because while it is brilliant in many ways, there's like three or maybe four women who are relevant to the story and all antagonists are terrible. Post first season spoilers Reinhardt and Yang are both protagonists on opposing sides, and their subordinates are also main characters.

A modern version of LoGH with antagonists who bothered to read the Art of War and aren't megalomaniacal tyrants or fanatic zealots would basically be perfect. Well okay, maybe if someone other than Yang used 3D movement it would be nice too, but the cavalry tactics in space are almost charming so it is not that much of a downside.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

LoGH goes at length to depict the problems of dictatorships and democracies both and its primary way of criticism is showing rather than telling. Thing is, it does a fair bit of telling too! The characters talk about it, the in-setting documentaries talk about it, even the narrator talks about it. I could be wrong but I don't recall a single point in the whole of LoGH where it does the same thing for sexism that it does to politics, war, etc.

Is LoGH regressive? Absolutely not. But it is not progressive either, and I don't think it is wrong to give it a pass if you're tired of fiction where it is all men doing man things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

edit: new page :argh:

SHISHKABOB posted:

^^^uh duh? I don't see the relevance

Yeah see I'm not "giving it a pass".

To be clear, I wasn't talking about you in particular. I'm talking about the review and why I can see this as a valid point to make in a review.