Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

chiasaur11 posted:

300 year old wine's been drinkable. 400 years with space tech isn't enough to make me blink. If you see some of what archaeologists have eaten...

Drinkable maybe, but not much the better for it. Definitely not the kind of thing for a date with your best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

it is because this yang isn't depressed

The alcoholism is coming, so is the depression. It’s a result of his experiences after Astarte (like his friend dying, his house getting bombed by the KKK, himself being made a media darling over it, being expected to deliver miracles on the reg, and wrongly feeling responsible for the Amritsar disaster) that he intensifies his drinking to unhealthy extent.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Flipping through the book rn, the first time he hits the sauce is when he’s at home with Julian after Astarte, right before the fascists throw a grenade through the window. Chapter 4. Yang has always been a bit of a drinker (there’s a bit in the second book that I just got to where he’s reminiscing about getting wasted with Lapp in school) but I don’t think there’s any need for him to be constantly sloshing it down this early in the story. It will ramp up. By the end of book 1 he’s already feeling slightly guilty about how much he drinks and Julian and Frederica are trying to cut him back a bit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

it will ramp up, so on episode 5 he will be a heavy drinker because there are only 12 eps

Yeah probably. I expect them to get through book 1 at this pace. Doubt this show is making enough money for them to keep going way beyond that though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

Wait what, this season is only going to be 12 eps? Lame.

12 episodes followed by 2 movies

e: maybe 3 or even 4 movies? Crunchy‘s press release about it is word salad

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 12, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The OVA takes 16 episodes to cover book 1, and a couple of those episodes are, if you wouldn’t want to call them filler, significant expansions of what happens in the book (Kastrop rebellion is a few paragraphs’ digression, the one about the jilted mistress isn’t in there at all). I don’t think this series has much chance of getting through the plot in good order, but I don’t think they’re going to have to significantly butcher book 1 to get through that, at least.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I thought Staaden was still around in the Imperial Civil War.

Yeah Staden gets his fleet dumped into a minefield by Mittermeyer and has a breakdown. The guy who bites it right away is his similar looking subordinate Erlach.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think there is definitely a somewhat homoerotic component to Reinhard’s feelings about Sieg. Much less so the reverse. At the very least the intensity of their relationship pushes the boundary of what is considered acceptable for a friendship between men in the empire. Reinhard’s grief after Sieg bites it is inappropriate, immoderate, definitely at the edge of what would be expected from even a romantic friendship.

That said, no one, not even Reinhard’s enemies, ever alleges homosexuality between the two. They do allege that Reinhard was the Kaiser’s fuckboy. Reinhard is a kind of sexually ambiguous figure particularly in the books, where he is regularly physically described as a glowing beauty. He definitely doesn’t enthusiastically pursue women unlike Schonkopf or Poplin, he doesn’t have a misogynistic dependency on (hetero) sex for validation like Reuenthal, he doesn’t have a healthy home life like Mittermeyer. Like Yang, he blunders into a relationship with a subordinate, but their relationship definitely isn’t as healthy as Yang’s and Frederica’s. Hilde rather implies that Reinhard doesn’t love her and is marrying her out of a sense of obligation. I think she has a point, though is probably also beating herself up a bit, and I think a reading of Reinhard as someone with latent homosexual urges is sustainable. But he was certainly never in a gay relationship with Kircheis. Homosexuality is taboo in the empire, one of the original evils that Rudolf campaigned against.

e: I might as well add that their relationship is clearly modeled on that of Alexander and Hephaestion, which similarly was thought of as an unusually intense romantic friendship and never presented by contemporaries as homosexual unless to criticize it. This has not stopped many later commentators from reading it as homosexual.

e2: I might as well also add that I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the woman Reinhard does end up marrying is the most butch in the entire story. Hilde wears her hair short, has a boyish figure, takes on a traditionally male role in government and frequently cross-dresses.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 18, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I love my dead gay kaiser

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don’t know that he ever really fell for her, he boned her while drunk and wanted to take responsibility.

That whole sequence is actually pretty drat uncomfortable in today’s context.

I mean, Reinhard is a loving psycho by any normal moral standards. The amount of death and destruction he cheerfully unleashes in pursuit of his batshit insane lust to politically unite the human race for his own self-aggrandizement is, or should be, a far bigger obstacle to being “comfortable” with his character than any amount of ill advised drunk sex he had with his secretary. Far more uncomfortable also than his personal conduct is the fact that as absolute monarch, he has every legal right to do absolutely whatever he pleases to his secretary and doesn’t see this as a problem because I would never do something so bad, not like that gross old kaiser.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 19, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah Reinhard doesn’t believe in dynastic principle at all, he’s so into rule by the strong that he tells his subordinates to come at him bro if they think they can beat him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Reinhard conquered humanity to make himself feel better and doesn’t really care a whole bunch about what happens after he is dead. Again, he’s very much inspired by Alexander the Great and it seems quite likely that what happens after his death is much like what happened after Alexander’s: all his surviving officers build up their own power bases, get into a standoff and become more or less petty tyrants over fragments of his realm. “Die Sage ist vorüber, die Historie beginnt” because this is the end of larger-than-life figures like Reinhard and Yang, men who could take, or could have taken, the whole universe by storm. The guys that are left are like Mittermeyer and Julian: not by any means incompetent or nobodies, but also not possessed of the same heroic quality or ambition or genius as those who have died. I’m interested to see how the books handled this ending because they are surprisingly even more adulatory to Julian than the show.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 19, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Okay, I read it, and I'm sure you'll all be surprised to hear it's pretty gaygood.

Personally I can't believe this whole time his name was Wittenfeld!

I’m not sure where the book translator got this tbh, Japanese doesn’t have a “vi” and while you certainly could be representing such a German sound with a “bi” I see no reason to privilege that reading over the one the OVA uses.

The book translators are mostly pretty good but as is to be expected with so many names, they gently caress up a couple, including Admiral Ulanfu/Ulanhu, who is boneheadedly rendered as “Ulanff” despite the narrator repeatedly hammering in the point that he’s Mongolian-Chinese, much like the Mongolian-Chinese elder statesman of the same name contemporary to the writing of the books.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Rochallor posted:

Bittenfeld and Vittenfeld sounds equally plausible to my ignorant self as German names so I could see making that mistake.

Both Bittenfeld and Wittenfeld are actual German place names and surnames, hence the confusion. Tanaka rarely makes up names that he could pull from the real world so the translators need to be checking references. The OVA spells it (and its actors read it) Bittenfeld of course, but then again the OVA also sometimes just gets poo poo wrong.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

P-Mack posted:

Yeah I don't think it's ever explicitly stated but the plot makes a ton more sense if you assume the empire has been regularly fighting internal rebellions and civil wars. It explains why they have huge fortresses like Geiersburg located outside the Iserlohn corridor, and why Reinhard comes out of the Lippstadt war in such a strong position since the empire is finally directing it's full force outwards.

I don’t know that anyone ever SAYS it’s regular but on the evidence of the series it definitely IS whether people recognize it or not. We see one minor uprising and one major rebellion/civil war in the first season alone!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Having watched the OVAs, I can't remember if anything ever mention Yang's parents or family? Spoil it if it is a thing in the novels or new show/something else.

in the book you get almost a whole chapter about his dad the merchant who obsessively collected historical artifacts and ran himself deep into debt doing it, and then died and it turned out they were almost all fakes and Yang got left on the hook for it. This is why he went to military academy because he couldn’t afford college otherwise. I want to say this was in the OVA as well but no idea when.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Just discovered there's a new LOGH thing being made. Is it supposed to be a straight remake?

It’s a readaptation of the books. It’s okay so far. Nicely produced, doesn’t do a whole lot to enliven the material. Character designs and soundtrack are a bit wonky compared to the (fantastic) OVA ones.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

These books may not be the best written but there’s something really charming about them.

quote:

As Viscount Albrecht von Bruckner, author of The Galactic Empire: A Prehistory, expressed it: “If you banished all the perverts and homosexuals from history and the arts, human culture would never have advanced to such a degree.”

I’ll let the thread guess context.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They’re not super well written or anything, but they’re fun pulp sci-fi in the same sort of detached, slightly “documentary” tone as the OVA. Quick easy reads, if you like a good space war/intrigue story that’s exactly what you’ll get. The whole series is not yet available in translation as far as I know though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They are dry but they’re also quick, easy reads. Plotwise the show is quite faithful to them, you won’t run into much you haven’t already seen. The biggest difference is that Dusty isn’t Yang’s sidekick right from the start, he only shows up a bit later on. There’s a couple of amusing touches like the narrator laying it on really thick about how beautiful Reinhard is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The alliance loses something like a million men at Astarte

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, the FPA is pretty clearly just America.

Postwar Japan not America. It’s a one party state

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

No, he's just naturally odd-eyed

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Stabbed in the crib while reinhards empire tears itself into pieces

Nonsense, he’ll live to be at least like 9 before he is discreetly smothered for being more trouble than he’s worth

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Alliance and Empire themes from the show are also pretty great despite nonsense lyrics

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The episode previews do spoil stuff but it’s in keeping with how the series presents itself. Both in real-life framing (it’s an adaptation of well-known novel series which finished before the show was released) and in-universe presentation, it acts as though its viewers will already understand at least the outline of the events it depicts. It’s framed as a kind of historical drama along the lines of Fall of Eagles or something. The omnipresent narrator is a didactic figure telling us about a golden age long past. He doesn’t care if what happens next week surprises you, because it all happened an arbitrary amount of time ago. No one would expect not to be spoiled on the fact Julius Caesar gets stabbed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

You guys should read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Yeah any time you see a Japanese story in which smarty pants generals and ministers have a giant brutal great power conflict so the author has a good excuse to make up goofy stratagems which contrast differing systems of values, it’s this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Who is the show’s Kissinger

Oberstein