Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

my dad posted:

(I just negotiated with you long enough for the sun to start shining in your army's eyes, sucker.)

This post right here convinced me to check out Romance of the Three Kingdoms (2010) and I'm on episode 13 and it's as incredible as advertised. I'm very, very tempted to - when I finished it, which will be a while - to go back and rewatch LoGH and see if I can't keep the stamina to watch past episode 50 this time! - I love both shows, but they're rather focus intense and you've got a bazillion characters to keep track of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Now we need a Three Kingdoms thread,stat! Or,if one already exists, a link to it.

But is it anime enough for ADTRW?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pomp posted:

is there a legal way to watch three kingdoms in english, and if not is that 480p version of the fansub the only english version in existence?

To the extent of my knowledge, no, there isn't a legal way. To answer your other question, try googling Jiang Hu Three Kingdoms and seeing what turns up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Condense the entire show into twelve episodes. LoGH: the Cliffnotes edition. :unsmigghh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

This show will be good, because it will lead to more people watching Legend of Galactic Heroes, which they should, Q.E.D.

Tell me about it. I'm getting an itch to watch it and see if I can't get myself to stick with it past the 50~ ep mark, which is where my attention span usually wanders.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

The eighty-two episode test.

Sometimes, with a show, you just aren't sure if it's good or not so you keep going

and going

and going

and if you're lucky it's a good one like logh. if you're not lucky it's a bad one like one piece, the slowest adaptation I've ever seen

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it's not that accurate.

There are a lot of fuckups but we only really hear about them, not the ones who are functionally competent if unimpressive which probably makes up the majority.

I know it's not a 1:1 comparison, but read up on World War I and its commanders. The lengths some of those commanders went to kill their own troops with time-honored tactics that no longer worked was impressive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/SoCosTX/status/968210288133771265

I thought this was neat.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ragg posted:

The new Star Wars movies are bad, the new LoGH adaptation will be bad, and there's no good reason for either to be made in the first place.

At this point they're free advertising for the original, and will hopefully guide a new generation into watching it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ragg posted:

It will guide a new generation into thinking the new adaptation is better than the old one, much like what happened with the prequels. Nothing good will come of it.

.... Really?

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anyone think the Star Wars prequels are better than the originals. Like, the second and third were apparently good enough to watch with the original, but no one thinks they're better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anyone got a spare 800$ I can borrow?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It literally looks like a CG from a visual novel :stonk:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/infinite_bagel/status/980604187833585664

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I can't watch the new one without thinking I should be watching the old one, so I'm afraid I will not be watching the new one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

mrfreeze posted:

Is the first episode fansubbed yet or is everyone just watching the raws?

It's been subbed. Look around.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Someone tell me to get off my bum and actually watch all of this show. Last time I watched it I made it to ep 50 or so and burned out. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, remind me: I watch my Conquest is the Sea of Stars, then episode.... three?

e: Wait, checked the OP, and I don't have Overture to a New Battle, brb looking for it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:swoon:

This is the prettiest freaking show

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 20, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's been years, and yet - this show has aged like a fine wine. And so have I! I really, really adore My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, and I caught all the nuances this time, how brilliant it is, etc - when I first watched it, I was back in high school and I enjoyed it in the sense that I was a highschooler watching something good, knowing it's good and I should be into it, and loving the ship fights, but phwooosh all the other stuff went over my head.

Now I'm old enough, and mm-mm. Yes. Yes please. More political infighting, more dealing with a populist ruler jerk, more, more, moreeeeee

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This show continues to be pretty!

Also, I...suspect that when I watched this show years ago, I skipped Overture to a New Battle and just watched eps 1+2 so this is almost new content for me. And I wonder if I was stupid enough to watch the first movie, then go straight to ep 3...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

....Wow, the first episode of the original OVA is not good. It's like a cliffs-notes version of events, and barely compelling. It's even worse watching it back to back with the Overture to a New Battle movie. If it were to air today it'd be a curio, but slammed for being too fast and abstract.

And, yep, the commanders are morons.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Please be careful about spoilers, since this thread has people who don't know what happens in the later seasons of the OVA or the later volumes of the books.

Hey, thanks. I'm watching the original OVA (finished ep 2 today) and while I've made it to ep 50 in previous watches, I've never actually finished the whole dang thing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

The only hyperspace I remember was when they put a giant hyperspace engine on Geiersberg to bring it up against Iserlohn, and it was completely without a light show. Just disappeared and reappeared

Edit: yeah ^^^^

Edit: are we spoilering a 30 year old show in here

Please continue to spoil it, there are newbies to the show in here, or people like me who never finished it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/ToastCrust/status/1006467955301875712?s=19

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Also, Volume 8 of the books is due for release on December 18.

It boggles the mind that we're actually getting a full translation of this book series. I remember being a teenager and being sad because I'd never get to read them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A genuine work of art

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

We should do something for its eighteenth birthday, like a forum-wide tour or a forum-rewatch of the whole OVA.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

I really want to like LOGH. I really, really want to like it. But the series' Pro-monarchy, anti-democratic message puts me off it way too much. Like, I love the music and the presentation of the original OVA, but man gently caress Monarchy, even when its 'enlightened'.

I actually thought it presented an interesting argument here - the central question of what is better: a corrupt democracy, or a good monarchy? Yang fights so hard to keep his democracy alive and unconquered when we see how it's a shithole early on, with corrupt leaders and the whole "violently mess up people who speak up". Yet we also see the massive flaws in a monarchy - good or bad, it still stomps on the little people.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Pomp posted:

I always kind of viewed Reinhardts arc as a tragedy rather than a pro-authoritarian screed. He's going to die someday, and some new autocrat will take over. The final scenes of logh are ominous because there's not long before a new period of upheaval caused by the nobility he had initially intended to destroy. Even if you get a benevolent autocrat, they're going to die someday and leave behind a power vacuum

The benevolent monarch will ALWAYS die, and unless you can guarantee unlimited great men to rule, you're hosed. See: Rome for a prominent example.

And one of the benefits of a democracy, assuming it's not corrupt and failing, is that you can theoretically kick out an incompetent rear end in a top hat.

Therefore the moral of LoGH is that we need benevolent AI overlords and we need them now. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

duckdealer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyXZPQaAHag

Seems like My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War are being released in theaters with a 4k remaster.

oh poo poo I want that. I assume that's coming to disc at some point?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Skip the episode previews.

Next week: CHARACTER A dies!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I would argue that Oberstein remains one of the most compelling characters from the whole series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Hate to be that guy, but F.Y.I

"Asperger's" hasn't been an official diagnosis since 2013. More recently, its namesake was outed as a Nazi sympathizer. It's time for the name to go."

https://www.fatherly.com/health/aspergers-vs-autism-and-hans-asperger

In 2013, it was reclassified as autism spectrum disorder.

I'm just learning these things myself because I'm discovering at age 36 that me being weird all my life may have to do with being on the spectrum a bit and also possibly ADHD

Thank you for this post, I second it. (Diagnosed autistic myself, used the nazi term for a long time before I learned and well! Time to change and become better.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Absolutely interested in seeing more posts from you. Love seeing people go through logh for the first time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This is stupid but charming: Fate/Grand Order (a mobile game with visual novel segments) is having a Halloween event where the characters dress up in costumes, and one of the outfits is:

quote:

Ozymandias: My domain spreads everywhere the light touches. Just you watch... I shall possess it all! ...Are you sure that's what I'm supposed to say?
Arash: You're doing great, pharaoh guy. I mean, Your Majesty.
Ozymandias:I see. These masquerade balls are a rather tedious affair... No matter.
Arash: You've gotta admit, they're a nice change of pace!
Ozymandias: And I can't say the idea of spacefaring golden wings displeases me. Heh. Bring me my goblet! I shall permit the masses to join me in a toast to our glorious victory!
Nitocris: Yes, Pharaoh Ozymandias! You are far too kind!
Ozymandias: I am the Space Emperor!
Nitocris: Long live Space Emperor Ozymandias!
Mash: Ooh, those must be sci-fi costumes, Senpai!

And if you're lucky enough to get the equippable version of that art, it's not a bad effect - "Increase NP Strength by 20% & NP Gain by 5% for yourself"

Thanks, Golden Wings!