Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The General posted:

I watched the first episode and thought it was pretty awesome. Just found this thread at a bad time, as I'm currently nearing season 4 of DS9. I'll probably push re-watching B5 to squeeze this in though, it looks excellent. And that almost never happens based on the first episode.

Actually, since someone brought this up I think it's worth mentioning (it's also in the OP too) a lot of people would recommend watching the two movies, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, and Overture to a New Battle before the series as they're both really excellently done movies and come before the series chronologically (Overture actually replaces the first 2 episodes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished this series, been watching it basically for over a month and really enjoyed it.

I was a big fan of how they set up Julian to succeed Yang all throughout the show. Even though Julian was Yang's foster kid and adopted a lot of his mannerisms and style of thinking, I found there were a lot of parallels with Reinhard. Both were people fast tracked to the top as a result of the people they were related to, both became leaders at very young ages, and both lost the closest person they had in the world.

Great show, sad it's over and I hope I can get my friends watching it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Daimo posted:

Thread title should be: 'More people should seed Legend of Galactic Heroes'.

I cant get the films anywhere!

There's always youtube, although you're probably looking for something higher quality.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

So I'm up to the 32nd episode and really enjoying it so far, there's one thing that's kind of bugging me though.

Episode 26 spoilers

After Kircheis gets killed, Annerose tells Reinhard that she's leaving his place and will be living away from him. To me it just rang false that at a time she had to have known he would need her more than ever, both so he wouldn't be alone and as a moral guidance, that she'd split. I understand that the combination of grief and the distancing she was already feeling from Reinhard led to that. But that just seems a pretty rash decision not consistent with her character as I've come to know her.

The show won't really ever come right out and say it, but Reinhard's not the only one devastated over Sieg's death. Her cutting ties with the man who bears a fair share of the responsibility is just how she chose to respond to it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elotana posted:

Tokuma Shoten just took LOGH off Youtube

gently caress that.

Is that it for places to watch it online? I dunno if I'd ever watch it again or not but with no English box sets I guess that doesn't matter much anymore.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 13, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

individual865 posted:

So, I started watching this series, got to episode 14, am hooked, but accidentally moused over a major spoiler upthread. Specifically, I found out that (MAJOR SPOILER) Yang dies in Episode 82. I'm pissed at myself, but do you guys think it's worth continuing to watch with this knowledge?

I watched knowing, it's fine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

What's been the experience for posters in this thread wrt getting people to watch the show? I tried getting some of my anime watching friends to check it out and they pretty much hated it. The first movie got all of them to stop but one, who watched the second movie after I talked him into it and then stopped after that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I'm doing a little rewatching of LoGH, and man, some lines are way harsher when you see them again.
"If the time comes, I'll get you to save me."
"Yeah, of course I'll protect you."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Reinhard kept going in part because he was trying to fill the void that opened up when Kircheis was killed protecting him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that was all on Oberstein, Reinhard was just too stubborn to admit he failed to control that situation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_UalbaFmQ Has this ever been brought up in the thread before? It's apparently an old test dub of LoGH.

I wish it was able to take off, that Schenkopf is really good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Job Trunicht is the single most intelligent character in the series. So calling him an idiot is selling him short.

Dude bragged about how much he hosed over the alliance and was going to gently caress over the empire in front of a dying man who probably hated him. He can't be all that smart.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Season 4's ending is the best because of the first ten seconds of it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Takanago posted:

They actually did produce a test dub for (I think) a single episode. Around the end of Season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH_UalbaFmQ

too bad they couldn't go through with it, it's not fantastic but it would've been fine

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo, am I dreaming

are they dubbing it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

Oh, goddamn. The Reuental/ Schenkopp knife fight in Episode 43 was the coolest thing.

I honesty couldn't take it very seriously when it happened, I know it's the 90's but the still character against moving background nearly made me burst out laughing and I don't think that was intended

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Don't forget about that big tits redhead. Actually I don't remember what she did, I think I was let down that she sort of just disappeared.

she called out rubinsky on his poo poo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Who knows? Also, I missed the fact that some of Canada's northern islands have rebelled against it. How that could have possibly happened is utterly beyond me. (If you don't know, the largest of those islands has a population of about 2000)

Obviously global warming and oil had a healthy impact on the population growth

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

So, episode 20. Mittermeyer and Ruenthal defeat Ovlesser by getting the idiot to charge into a pit trap. On his own fortress. Was it always there, or did they dig it in front of him and he was too dumb to pay attention to it?

They dug it in front of him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Raku posted:

waaaay later spoiler

reinhard does the same loving thing lmao he's a total piece of poo poo

That one's a little complicated -- by that point it'd been long established Hilda loved Reinhard, if he wasn't drunk when he asked that scene would be a lot different

E: then again he admits the next day he did the same loving thing so yeah you're completely right

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 21, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sarcophallus posted:

Just poking in to remind you of Jessica Edwards, her campaign, and the fact that she was winning up until the thing.

Also that 1 of the 6? people that made up the Alliance's cabinet was a woman. Though I'll readily admit that while she was probably inconsequential, she did have the loudest voice in continuing the war efforts against the empire.

e: Dominique is an interesting woman in the show, though it's not clear how much power/influence she actually holds throughout.

All the women not named Annerose are interesting characters, and it's a drat shame one of them misses out on being trained by the most dangerous hand-to-hand combatant in the series.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pomp posted:

when do reinhard and siegfried kiss

they already did

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

Same

It's one of the problems when the cast is 90% guys. I thought Siegfried liked the sister? I'm only at the beginning though.

His raging boner is like 50% of his motivation at that point

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you do a thing then you are that thing.

Showing people doing a thing =\= doing a thing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Superstring posted:

How does the show condemn Poplan or Schenkop at all? Ruenthal, I'll give you, maybe. In any case, your arguement would be more convincing if we saw any demographic differences in the military forces of the post-Reinhard Empire or the Yang Fleet.

Like, I love the series, but I'm not going to pretend it's not a product of its times with all the flaws that it will entail.

Schenkop's daughter hating his guts for a long time doesn't count as condemnation?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Surely unconscious inclusions are more telling tha-

Never mind.

Who is going to be gender swapped in the anime? Pervy Poplan? Julia(n)?

MASHENGO

I can just picture Yang saying "What is that?" disgustedly as a woman approaches the bridge...

Gender swap Yang IMO

I don't even think it would change the subtext between Yang and Reinhard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I always thought Truniht was in league with the space illuminatti

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

If Kircheis lives, Reinhardt probably doesn't go conquest happy trying to fill the empty void in his heart without his best friend so a lot of the series probably doesn't happen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I just want to congratulate President Truniht.

And ask Kaiser Reinhard to hurry it the gently caress up with that invasion and occupation

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Ships should be detailed. Yang is young and clean cut... he's a 22 year old officer. Mueller Fahrenheit and Bittenfeld are all pretty boys anyways. The only physical differences between them in the OVA are the hair and that Bittenfeld is more lantern jawed than the other two.

I thought Yang was 33?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Also it's arguable that the OVA's art style was a product of it's time and that 30 years later it might be time for an update.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

It's not like the ovas were a particularly remarkable achievement of animation. The designs were standard for the time and the show itself was pretty stiff. The biggest issue is that there's no way this show is getting the like 75 episodes minimum you'd need to actually cover the story

Even just 26 for the first season would be fine, honestly

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The bastard child of Truniht and Otto Von Braunschweig got elected president ffs, anime LoGH is real

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Why is Rubinsky so good but the Terraists so bad

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

My hopes for this adaptation are pretty much negative at this point

Maybe the direction will save it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

psyer posted:

Sentai Filmworks is finally releasing LOGH BD set. They have made a premium only edition that cost $800 and limited to 1000 copies.

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/pr...premium-box-set

No standard edition is planned at the moment for them and no dubs because it is impossible for them.

https://twitter.com/DubTalkPodcast/...728749175431168

https://twitter.com/DubTalkPodcast/...731151844716544

Is there seriously nothing? Thereís an Ocean studios test dub on youtube from ages ago

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToRuQToEFts

Episode 1's bouncing around on youtube raw, if you want to check it out

It'll probably be gone quick

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't understand why they felt the need to create this. It looks like garbage and they can't possibly think they'll tell a better story than the ova or novel already did

They donít think they will and itís not the reason why they made it

The reason is fujoshi

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

It is weird that we didn't even see Yang drink alcohol yet.

Also, wasn't some idiot Imperial Admiral supposed to die from Yang's counter attack?

In the OVA Staaden broke formation and died for it, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sieg was never gay