Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Forgive me if it's been answered, I don't want to dig through the thread for fear of spoilers:

Are all 110 episodes subbed now? I've only got 10 episodes left of the epic I've been watching and Legend of Galactic Heroes is next in queue, but I don't want to start an unfinished series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Right on, thanks. I'm going to grab the movies and start this ball rolling.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I finally got around to diving into this series. Really enjoying it and having fun speculating on where the story is going.

Now on Ep. 26 GODDAMNIT gently caress

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
just finished Ep. 82: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Ep. 110: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VV0SIBoHlo :gbsmith:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Patter Song posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms spoiler:

Liu Bei is now Cao Cao's deeply reluctant junior ally, following their coalescing to take down Lu Bu, and Liu Bei is under what amounts to house arrest at the Imperial Palace, where he is conspiring with his cousin the Emperor to maybe someday murder Cao Cao. At the meeting between the two warlords, Cao Cao asks Liu Bei whom he thinks are the great heroes of the land. After Cao Cao dismisses all the men Liu Bei suggests (Yuan Shu is just for show, Yuan Shao is an indecisive fool, Sun Ce is an unproven child, Liu Zhang is effeminate and artsy, Liu Biao is an empty name, etc.), Cao Cao declares to Liu Bei that the two of them are the only true heroes in all of China. This powerplay terrifies Liu Bei, because it tells him that Cao Cao sees him as his one true rival and thus high on Cao Cao's to do list to remove, but Liu Bei is saved by a sudden flash of thunder, so he can blame his visible terror on the lightning. Liu Bei, a washed-up loser much like Yang at this point, is still on Cao Cao's list of heroes. Even the man on top realizes that his defeated adversary is a worthy foe and one that could rise again to challenge him.

Romance the Three Kingdoms, the book, is fantastic, and I think its influence on LOGH might be more subconscious (Tanaka's drawing most of his direct inspiration from European history) but it is definitely present.

The 2010 TV adaptation, Three Kingdoms, is pretty brilliant. 95 episodes of 45 minutes each. They tell the entire thing from the Yellow Turban Rebellion all the way through to the rise of the Jin Dynasty. This is their version of that scene:
https://youtu.be/NYHYqpqrpL0?t=1518

Hell I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Legend of Galactic Heroes, it's a true epic.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Thread should be titled "More people should watch Three Kingdoms"

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Patter Song posted:

Somehow the show was unable to figure out a way to incorporate crazy horror movie elements.

Also they didn't have Sun Ce confronted by the ghost of a man he killed appearing in a mirror, causing Sun Ce to freak out and reopen his wounds and die.
Isn't that the truth:

quote:

Sun Quan and his subjects were celebrating their conquest of Jing Province, with Lü Meng receiving the highest honour. During the banquet, Lü Meng was suddenly possessed by Guan Yu's spirit and he grabbed Sun Quan and shouted, "Green-eyed brat! Purple-bearded coward, do you still recognise me?" Sun Quan's subordinates were shocked and immediately rushed forth to save their lord. The possessed Lü Meng shoved Sun Quan away and sat on Sun's seat, with an expression of fury on his face, and he boomed, "Since defeating the Yellow Turban rebels, I've fought in wars for over 30 years. But I lost my life because you used an evil scheme against me. I cannot feast on your flesh while I was still alive, but I can still seize Lü Meng's soul after my death! I'm Guan Yunchang, the Marquis of Hanshou." Sun Quan and the others were so terrified that they sank to their knees. Lü Meng collapsed and died, bleeding from seven body orifices. Everyone was traumatised by the scene they witnessed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
This is the last reference I expected to ever see in a translated Chinese novel: