Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am sharing up to ep 54 on the hub whenever I'm on. It's been a year since I saw that 54th ep. I would help in any subbing effort if I had any useful skills besides 3 years of high school German.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Since you bumped it, I would like to take this moment to commemorate the 13 month and 12 day anniversary of my acquisition of episode 54. NEXT EP PLZ :(

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well jeez, for 240 USD I at least expect an accurate collar reproduction. And maybe a blowjob or two.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:love: Defiler

Now it's time to remind myself just what happened in eps 50-54, since it's been nearly 2 years since I watched them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Man Loner came out of the closet to say:
Is this for real?

...wh...wh..what?! That can't be real...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm connected to the torrent... it's ~250 mb mkvs for each episode. Seems like a helluva lot of trouble for someone to go through for a senseless prank.

However it's also going at a blazing 6k/s for now so I can't confirm much of anything.

edit: to download the torrent, click the link, then press enter after clicking in the address bar one more time. Seems to fool it into thinking you were directed from within the site.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I finished downloading the first episode. The torrent is actually fairly speedy now at 80k/s or so. So anyways, on to the review:

The presence of Chinese audio and subtitles is a reasonable hint that these are HK DVD rips as previously mentioned. And unfortunately, the translation is quite lacking in many ways, although not as bad as those from whoever I originally got eps 50-54 from. Since it's obviously spoileriffic, don't click these if you haven't watched up to ep 54:

http://ca.geocities.com/olafkolzig@rogers.com/LOGH.jpg
http://ca.geocities.com/olafkolzig@rogers.com/LOGHop.jpg

And a transcript of the first minute or so of speech:

Long life Emperor Reinhard!
Long live the New Reich!
- Mariendorf.
- Your Highness.
- You must be tired. How's your first day as a Minister?
- I am sorry, please pardon me. Everything is new to me. Your Highness, how do you feel? I want both the celebration and ceremony to be simple, and it is just as planned.
- I think it's good. Those grand banquets of the Old Empire State are wasting the country's budget. Since it's establishing a country, we can't save on the ceremony. But it don't have to be very grand. To emphasis on this point, today's ceremony will be the guideline for the future events. We'll need your help in many aspects. Sorry to trouble you.
- Yes.

Clearly not translated by somebody with awesome English skills, since there are far too many literal translations and grammatical errors. However, it's still comprehensible. I'm not sure how well they'll hold up when the series gets to serious political dramabombs, since the subtletise of comments from Yang and the like may just go flying out the window... but it doesn't appear that they're as bad as those from subbers who purposely screw up names which appear on screen in English.

So in conclusion, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Hokuto came out of the closet to say:
I'd like to get these torrents if someone could post working links. The ones posted above are no longer there.

I just clicked on them now and they worked :?:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ugh, after watching a few of these episodes, the subs can get pretty bad. And the fact that they get names wrong as they appear on-screen in English is inexcusable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, since I can't help myself, I've watched up to ep 70. Don't read the spoilers if you haven't.

So Yang's crew take over Iserlohn by Bagdash hacking the gibson and preventing Thor's Hammer from firing at their own fleet. Seriously, this is bullshit. So far the series has avoided appearing contrived, but this practically screams 'lazy writing'.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Robot Bastard came out of the closet to say:
This would hardly be the first time that Yang pulls something out of his rear end and it just happens to be exactly what's needed to save the day..

Yeah, but the fact that they gave such a lame strategy for the recapturing of the most badass fortress ever is really irritating. If they can hack enemy stations by radio or something why didn't they hack Reinhard's ship and make it self-detonate or do a little dance? It seems to be descending from the level of strategery to just plain magic.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hay, out of curiosity let's have a quick poll on favourite characters. I'd have to say Oberstein for the cold, calculating deviousness and Reuentahl for the smooth, almost inhuman deviousness. Wait, I spot a pattern here.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Daryl Surat came out of the closet to say:
Paul von Oberstein is my favorite character. But Oberstein isn't a bastard, nor is he devious or even evil.

He's the ultimate pragmatist (think Jack Bauer from 24, only without the one-man army capability), doing exactly what needs to be done as dictated by the Overall Value Principle in order to assure Reinhard's success. If said action is an unpopular or immoral one, Oberstein will not hesitate to take all the blame himself, regardless of whether he was responsible or not.

He certainly is devious, depending on what you define him as deviating from. From Reinhard's instructions, certainly, and I think his propensity for cold-hearted intrigue further qualifies him. But yes, it is that ruthless efficiency that I like best. No need for miracles like Yang or any of the gimmicks displayed by other admirals ( Mittermeier's BLAZING SPEED or Schenkopp's AXE WIELDING ROSE KNIGHTS OF DOOM ), just an exacting mind and an awesome false eye.

Speaking of which, I am continuing to be displeased by the way the series is going (eps 70+), the Alliance forces keep getting one deus ex machina after the other, some being just plain nonsensical (hey look! solar wind! except it only happens to buffet and destroy imperial ships!) while I've all but forgotten about what made Reinhard such a great leader in the first place, since he is perpetually asking for advice and handing out assignments to his subordinates. Not that such actions are unexpected, but all the same, he's been more of an imposing figurehead than a crafty strategist.

Another thing I don't really understand about Yang's vendetta against the Emperor, possibly due to my having watched the first half of the series more than 2 years ago: in the early going, Yang was waxing philosophical about his role in fighting the Empire and then Reinhard. Lately, however, he seems to be all about DEMOCRACY and FREEDOM and (partly due to the lovely subs) really doesn't seem to have got across exactly why he was so motivated to fight against Reinhard - particularly since he seemed to be such an unwilling participant in the Alliance's army in the first place, although that may have been just due to his modesty. He does say around ep 73 or so:

SPOILERS BLAH BLAH SPOILERS

It is precisely because Reinhard is a good emperor that he must be defeated. Nonetheless he admits later that he does not want to kill him either.

Honestly, I thought when the Alliance capitulated to the Empire that Yang would actually retire if only for a few years, and not take such an active role in the resistence - particularly since Reinhard's empire showed itself to be more gracious and forgiving than the Alliance. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something about his ideals then. Julian also points out that the Empire would have cultivated Yang's talent such that he would've been the Emperor, whereas the Alliance stifled and repressed personal ability, and Yang just shrugs that off. I really didn't think he was such an admirer of democracy above all else, I figured he would've been more accepting of the pacifying nature of Reinhard's galactic empire.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Portable591 came out of the closet to say:
Yang said, much earlier in the series when posed this question by Julian or someone else, that a dishonest democracy is better than a benevolent monarchy because with a democracy, at least you can vote to change your ruler. With an empire, you're stuck with the emperor's heir, for better or for worse, usually worse. That's been his belief for the entire series, and I'm surprised you never noticed it, or just forgot about it since it's been so long.

Oh I did realize that, but I sensed a kind of subtle shift from intellectual idealism to rah rah democracy cheering... actually, I suppose it's not so much Yang who's guilty of thise but the rest of the alliance crew. Frankly, very few of the Alliance followers have anything particularly interesting to say, and while the Empire (under Lohengramm anyways, if I even need to spoiler this is the very paragon of ruthless efficiency. Yang's forces seem more like a big happy family ( particularly in the way they just decide to raise Julian to be a leader because of some phantasmic qualities he possesses ) rather than a dedicated revolutionary group. Actually, this may have been what I was getting at earlier, that Yang did not really seem all that enthralled with the idea of fighting the Empire in the first place even if he did think that it was necessary, so it surprised me that he dove right into renewing the fight against the Empire with little hesitation.

And to further my point, the Empire has Reuentahl. The Alliance has... Poplan. CASE CLOSED!

I wish I could spoil more of what's happened in eps 70+, but it's so awesome my conscience couldn't take it. I can't imagine how all of you resisted getting more episodes for this long.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

I just finished watching the HK subs all the way up to 110.

I don't think I'll ever get to see a show that can top this one. That's really all I can say about it.

Please discuss spoilers with me, I finished a few weeks ago and I don't know how long I can keep them in.

Full frickin' series spoilers ahead, don't read them or else:

So much awesome drama in so many episodes. And even though they killed off my two favourite characters and then some, I still found it satisfying. The only complaint I had for the whole series was some of the tiresome and repetitive tactics used by Yang's fleet - I was rolling my eyes when they decided to board the Grunehild again, but fortunately nothing stupid came out of that.

In conclusion, watch the drat series now.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

At least they didn't lure the Imperial fleet into the Thor Cannon's firing range in the last battle. I was glad to see the Neue Reich had learned its lesson in that regard, however long it might have taken them to do so.

I was satisfied with how the series ended, although the demise of the Terra Church felt rather rushed after the enormous amount of buildup that had led to it. The entire church plot seemed pretty unrealistic to me - how feasible could it really be to keep thousands upon thousands of drugged fanatical followers on such a tight leash? They hinted at fermenting disputes and discontentment, then just dropped the matter entirely. Julian and the Iserlohn gang got a huge amount of information on them, but never actually put it any of it to practical use. The same could also be said of Mecklinger.

The Rubinsky/bomb thing also seemed pretty contrived.

Most of the time I watched the show I was rooting for the Reich commanders, so I was sad to see Fahrenheit and Reuentahl go. Reuental's last moments moved me to tears. I was glad to see Mittermeier get a happy ending out of the entire mess in the end, though.

Oberstein played the role of devil's advocate right up to his very last moments, and that impressed me a lot. Now that I've moved on to watching GoShogun, I can't listen to Bundol's voice without hearing Oberstein talking.

For the Iserlohn folks, the only deaths that really upset me were those of Yang Wen-li and Walter von Schenkopf. Mashengo's catchphrase irritated me from the start because it was painfully obvious that it would ultimately end that way.

If there's any lesson I've taken from watching this show, it's that any scene with drama or tension can be made a hundred times more awesome just by breaking a wineglass. Empty or full, thrown or dropped, a breaking wineglass is just the thing to really get people's attention.

Reinhard must have had a wine glass room everywhere he went with the rate at which he broke them. But you can't really blame him with some of the incompetent subordinates he relied upon.

Yeah, they used that gimmick enough times already. I think they ran out of ways to justify 'lol yous guys forgot about the range of Thor's Hammer! Or you remembered but ran into it anyways!'

The Terra church ending was kind of rushed, yeah. They went down from what, hundreds of millions of members supposedly lurking on the Earth to zero over the course of a few years? Even with the Empire-wide crackdown on them and their fanaticism it seems like a bit much. They always just seemed t be there to cause havoc right when the situation demanded it least, so to see them go like that was a little surprising, if not disappointing. But yeah, at least they were working as a group, whereas Rubinsky came up with even more dastardly plots practically on his own.

Reuentahl was clearly the (second) best character in the series, so it sucked to see him go - but at least he went out with a bang. The fact that he decided to pursue the rebellion on his own made it seem less contrived, since there had been all kinds of previous foreshadowing of his discontentment with being #2.

I could never take the Alliance/Iserlohn people seriously because they just seemed so blase about raising a rebellion against a massively powerful galactic empire. Ok, Poplan was fine for some comic relief, but he shouldn't have had as much of a role in the series as he did.

Oberstein's death was surprising but still appropriate. Perhaps he thought his role had ended with the death of Reinhard and the (at least temporary) rule of Hildegard returning the Empire to peace. Actually, it would've been awesome to see Mittermeier become emperor then, or even more so Reuentahl had he still been alive. Not likely to happen if Reinhard wanted to at least see if his son was capable of being emperor, but still.

The one thing I'm kind of disappointed about is that they never really went into detail about the social changes of the era that Reinhard promised (particularly after Silverberche died), except when the context warranted it - in other words, when a riot/rebellion needed to happen. And other than Odin / Iserlohn, nothing much ever seemed to happen in the old Empire after Reinhard unified it, although I suppose that's not really unexpected.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Coldbird posted:

Also, as I posted in the old death scene thread, Bucock has the best death scene of all time. It's not just the event itself, it's his whole reason for it - he knows for a fact Lohengramm would be a fair emperor and would treat him well, and his own 'free' nation is corrupt and ruled by liars and cheats, but none of that matters. He's a democracy man and if he can't meet Lohengramm as an equal then he won't meet him. :patriot:

I would disagree about the best death scene bit but it would require a curious definition of 'best' and full series spoilers.

So instead you'll just have to wonder what I'm talking about unless/until you've watched it all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't even remember posting on the first page of this thread. Oh yeah, that's because it was over 8 years ago, christ. I should re-watch LOGH to celebrate.

I still think half of the battle sequences in the series make no sense at all, but maybe it was because of the shoddy subtitling.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh, I was just reminded that Julian is the worst character and he sucks. Maybe it was the crappy subs but it seemed like the during entire show he wass treated like a brilliant young prospective leader sure to become the successor to Yang for no discernible reason.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's funny how the FPA somehow look even more smug than the Empire, what with their smirky grins and half-shaved faces. Sieg Kaiser Reinhard, I tell you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Does it make sense to watch Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War, then Neue These? I don't really want to go through the whole 110 episodes again let alone suggest it to someone else but ~my wife~ might be convinced to try Neue These.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mederlock posted:

I'm waiting for the nerds who are doing the laserdisc project to finish up for my next rewatch. Sooooo stoked about the work they're doing.

Here's their latest teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3dMrtnN7Fc

Just before every cut the video shifts to the right and then back to the left and it's super distracting, what's up with that?