Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Num Lock posted:

Something about the ED makes me think that everybody dies.

I don't think that was the regular ED. Just Julian looking at the photo album from the wedding. That doesn't, of course, mean that they won't all die. Anywyay, it was a good start to the season and suggests a somewhat different direction for the show. All of the talk of love and relatinships and waiting five or six years suggests that there will be a lot more focus on interpersonal aspects of the show. Surely there will be battles, but there will be long, drawn out build up before getting there. I'm really looking forward to Julian and company's visit to earth so that we can finally figure out the true role of the Earth Cult in this whole mess.

Also, I love the fact that CA used the word "grok" in their translation. Making Heinlein proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Num Lock posted:

Well the two exiled Imperial Soliders and that new girl are in the photos, so they couldn't be from the wedding.

Hm, good point. Hadn't considered that. I guess they just worked it into the episode real nicely.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Hokuto posted:

A friend of mine sent me this fan-made movie, and I found it pretty hilarious.

Super Legend of the Galactic Heroes Wars

This is fantastic. Kircheis totally hosed that upstart Julian up and Yan took care of business. Given theat I don't recognize some of those ships and attacks I am looking forward to seeing them in the show. Farenheit's onboard Thore-Hammer seems rather awesome.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

Cute, a "Maison Ikkoku" reference. Or do all Japanese housewives have aprons like that?

I don't think that was an allusion to Maison Ikkoku so much as the ideal Japanese wife fantasy. It was freaking me out the whole time watching. Greenhill continually whining about cooking pissed me off somewhat.

I greatly enjoyed the history lesson of the Goldenbaum Dynasty. Those who know Chinese history will recognize that it followed somewhat the experiences of the Qing what with the success of early emperors, the mixed results of austerity, and power-grab of a court bureaucrat during the reign of an old man. In regard to "the girl" with whom Julian will one day have hot sex are we thinking Kircheis' sister? I don't remember if he and Julian actually met, but I can think of no one else who make sense.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Uberfrog posted:

I'm not sure thatSchenkoppever had sex with Kircheis, Man of Wax.

I don't get this. Sister != daughter. The amount of information to keep track of is too great. So, you are saying she's Schenkopp's daughter? Did they say that? I don't remember since she just kind of appeared and disappeared after five minutes or so

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 11, 2006

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Actually, LoGH began in '88 and ended in '97. Season three, which we are on, was '94-'95. I guess the books were written earlier though and, even if they weren't, a lot of today's Japanese would still identify with that fantasy.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Specineff posted:

I am willing to discuss Julian's crazy flying kick to that cultist's face! Where do you learn to do stuff like that?

I'm watching through the series as CA releases episodes with a friend, and when that happened we both couldn't help but laugh. The angle of the camera (low shot) makes it look like Julian gets mad air and speed somehow, which, considering his normally demure disposition, came as a shock.

Julian is super-boy or something. He's really smart, a natural pilot and gunslinger, handsome, and, apparently, a very capable fighter. I wouldn't be surprised if he has his own command by age 18 and single-handedly destroys an entire imperial fleet.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Episode the 65th
Due to extreme busyness I am now slightly behind on LoGH. With any luck I shall have a three episode mini-marathon this weekend.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?Scale=0&MacroType=MulMed&SeriTxt1=heldensagen&Dis=-2&GenreCode=All

Most of them are discontinued, though... :sigh:

I don't know. Those look pretty underwhelming. The detail on LoGH ships tends to be pretty low so this is all about adding your own personal touch.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

It seems the proverbial poo poo is about to hit the fan. A new confrontation will soon be upon us. I know it's a long way off, what with the the movies and additional 52 episode series and dozens of remaining episodes, but I was just thinking of how it would feel to no longer have more LoGH at some point. Glorious for a moment, perhaps, and utterly devastaingly depressing as well. I am convinced that this is not only the best cartoon ever produced, it is the best TV show (technically it's an OVA, but it was broadcast several times) I've ever seen and, very possibly, the finest piece of science fiction in any medium. This may sound hyperbolic, but for now I am convinced that it is the case. It doesn't carry the philosophical weight of the great SF novels of decades past, but is still intellectually valid and so hugely entertaining, mature, and emotionally satisfying that it deserves top recognition.

I am trying to get a friend of mine to watch LoGH, but it's hard since the show is so long. A lot of folks just don't want to make the committment. He likes SF so I try to convey the truly awesome quality of the series to him, but one can say very little that will convince a busy fellow to set aside time for 162 episdes plus movies.

Also, a technical question for those who have seen everything: I get the impression that the end of LoGH will be so monstrously epic that I will want it to be the last I ever see of the show. Can I watch the gaiden series before getting to the end of the main series? The movies, I know, are separate and can be watched at pretty much any time.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Salaryman Yoshinoya posted:

I just started watching and I have to day this series is incredible. Probably one of the best sci-fi show I've seen in a long time.

YES
Hopefully you'll continue to feel that way, but in the unlikey event that you don't a Bush-style preemptive declaration of victory is in order: Mission Accomplished. Each new fan brings us one step closer to US DVDs.

Also, I showed the LoGH Wars movie to a friend who is into the show and he almost died of awesome on the spot. That really was quite the exceptional piece of work.

Out of curiosity, have LoGH role-playing games ever been made? Pen and paper, I mean. Or possibly a CCG? I am curious as to the extent of the merchandising associate with the franchise, beecause I get the sense that there is a fair amount out there, but all produced in rather limited quantity.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Pierson posted:

I'd love to get into this as it's the last show on my Big List 'O Stuff To Watch but I'm leery about getting into another show full of unseeded torrents and no sources on hubs after I had to wait ten days to download a single early episode of GGG back in the day. Is there a site I can download all these from?

After few minutes, CA will automatically seed any torrent that has peers but no seeds.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

sakesniper posted:

Edit: I have a question as well. Do land fights ever get any better? Most of them exept for the Iserlorn Fortress capture just look really awkward. They also tend to suffer from the "Storm Trooper" complex of people shooting down straight halls and missing hand to hand attackers.

I don't know, but since they've continued it this far in, I doubt it will improve all that much. They are pretty drat visceral though, which is cool.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

I'm watching the Gaiden now and am suitably impressed. I've seen four episodes of A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights and it has been, as expected, highly enjoyable. Rheinhard and Kircheis' relationship is really disconcerting to me though. I didn't notice it before, but now that I've seen Rheinhard sulking for about forty episodes it's strange to see him being all friendly with someone again. That and, of course, there is always the possibility of something other than platonic with those two.

I'm looking forward to Sprial Labrynth more though since Yang Wenli is simply superior.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Yeah, I know that both of them are straight. Kircheis is all over Annerose, after all. Sometimes they just fawn over each other excessively.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

I think episode 70 proved once again what we have known all along: Louis Mashengo is a loving animal.

Also, I'd like to point out that, as amusing as Poplan can be, he is actually an incredibly sick person, in my opinion. He takes the flying ace mentality to extremes that even Tom Wolfe has never considered and, in fact, is some sort of obsessive freak. He may well be the most single-minded womanizer in the history of man, fictional or otherwise.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Defiler posted:

I have the restored DVDs up to episode 86 (volume 22).
I'd be happy to provide high quality raws to CA. Anyone have a contact?
Proof: http://hellninjacommando.com/adtrw/logh_dvds.jpg

Is that one of those $700 chairs with twenty different levers on it? Anyway, CA has been offered R2s before and they don't seem to want them. They don't like the digital alterations or the removal of the overlays when characters are introduced. Frankly, I'm with them in that regard.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Hildgrim posted:

What!? Give me a comparison please, I'm begging you!

The bootlegs posted over at BoxTorrents are ripped from the HKs, which are in turn copied from the R2s. Those have the digitally altered scenes. The Gaiden was originally made with cel and CGI animation, but I don' recall much 3D work.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

I find that, despite the enormity of the cast, I never have any trouble remembering who is who, except maybe the tertiary imperial admirals who really only exist to sit around a large table and take orders. Just another point in the show's favor.

Don't hold your breath on space battles though. There aren't actually that many of them, but when they happen they induce potentially harmful levels of excitement and glee.

vvv The one to be congratulated is you sir, for having excellent taste.

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 13, 2006

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Sexy

Babylonian posted:

Hey, it's Man of Wax. Hahaha, oh wow.
Do I know you?

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Grey Area posted:

Pouring a forty for the old Admiral.

Amen to that. Bucock was the man and Chun Woo Chan wasn't bad either. It took Yang seventy episodes to get competent allies and now they're all dead :( Time to crush some skulls.

Also, several pages ago people who had seen the whole show or were watching the bootlegs were all having orgasms over episode 82. We are now only ten episodes away. Go central-anime, bring us the goods!

Zap Branigan posted:

I want a loving Rosen-Ritter Patch. I have to have it.

I'm not sure about a patch, but you might be able to use an image like this and make a T-shirt. I might make an avatar of that if it's still readable when shrunken down. LoGH avatars would be a good idea.

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 24, 2006

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

sakesniper posted:

Do you mind if I request a vector of that in the wallpaper thread? I think it'd make a great background.

I don't own it or anything so you don't need my permission. Sounds like a good idea.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of Reinhardt, does anyone else here think that Griffith in Berserk is inspired by him? They are similar in appearance, and they are similar in ambition and ability. Reinhardt comes accross as much more decent however; more human, essentially, even though he is literally King of the Galaxy.

I think there are definitely affinities between the characters, but that is the result more than anything of them fitting into an archetype that predates each of their respective series. From a superficial level, the pretty, conniving badass has been around forever in literature and was picked up early on in anime. The particular brand of nefarious ambition that characterizes each is also as old as the hills--basically the Napolean story without the height issue (although Freud would have a field day with Rheinhard's drunk father and sister-complex).

quote:

Forget Strauss; that's pure Nietzsche, baby. :cool:

I've always (and by always I mean since a coupel years ago when I first read him) felt Nietzsche is more compatible with democracy than most give him credit for. I don't mean to suggest that he's a proponent, certainly not, but the anti-democratic element of his works is played up substantially by those who feel they would benefit from it. Granted, it's a somewhat selective reading, but Nietzsche's thought evolved over the years and even within a given work (Thus Spoke Zarathustra probably being the finest example) so it's easy to find justification for seemingly contradictory points of view. But hey, this isn't D&D or anything.

In any case, welcome aboard the LoGH train. If only more people stopped into this thread and realized how much of a circle jerk (not a bad thing) it has become there might end being even more fans.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

CA claims to auto-seed any torrent with peers and no seeds. I guess that isn't the case. If you complain in their forum they are guaranteed to respond though.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

I never watch the previews for this or any show. As far as I'm concerned, it can only detract from what comes next. Only in the rare cases (such as Kare Kano) when there is something particularly special about a preview do I watch.

I'm a couple of episodes behind, but tomorrow shall be catch-up day.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

It would be totally sweet if Episode 82 would download faster than 3.5 K/sec.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Well, I suppose it was going to happen sooner or later. Just look at the EDs and it's pretty obvious which lone Alliance character survives the bloodbath that is LoGH. With all of the hype surrounding this episode and the foreshadowing at the beginning, it was obvious what would happen, but still an incredibly gutsy move on the part of the author. In a way, Yang had to go, I suppose. Just like Kircheis.

edit: I think it was incredibly classy how Yang, the man who dedicated his life to democracy--the government of the nobodies--was, in the end, killed by one of them. In a show with a cast of probably, oh, a thousand or so named characters, it was a random thug who did him in. Rank and fame are simply of no consequence at the barrel of a gun. It's the ultimate democratizer, in a way.

Gearing the gently caress up for season 4.

Man of Wax fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 19, 2006

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

The Duran posted:

I don't remember any forshadowing with the death of Kircheis though. When he died it was much more of a shock because it completely came out of no where. With Yang, they pretty much said over and over that "YANG IS GOING TO DIE VERY SOON."

I meant in the sense that just like Kircheis had to go in order to drive Reihard in a specific direction, so too did Yang in order to... we'll see. It's not that their deaths, as isolated events, were somehow similar.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

sephiroth669 posted:

Thanks a bunch MoW for this thread, I'm really enjoying the show :)

I try to watch the episodes in half season chunks (for DVD burning purposes) so I'm still only half way through season three, but I wanted to know if CA has any plans to release the other two OVAs and movies after they finish season 4. I know it will probably be a year easy before season 4 is done but I don't want it to end :(

On their forum they indicate that they have LDs of everything and intend to sub it all. The bootlegs on BoxTorrents are fairly watchable, but if you can wait, get CA's.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Uberfrog posted:

any news as to why ?
are they just taking a break ?

Yeah, I think so. They just finished the third season.

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Residue posted:

Eh? Is this with the ungodly amount of dvd's that are the same price as a car? Or fansubs? Cause I can't find any fansubs besides CA and one from Lunar.

There are fansubs of all of LoGH on tape (some of which have been digitized) as well as Hong Kong bootlegs of the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man of Wax
May 20, 2003

Residue posted:

I hate to ask this, as it's probably been answered, but do you have a link to where I can buy the VHS? I have no problem buying this on VHS, as it's awesome, and if it's released on DVD, I'll probably buy it then too.

And, are the HK bootlegs terrible, or ok or what? I mean, I'm assuming they are terrible, and that's why we're all going with Central Animes.

You can't buy any tapes as it was never official released on VHS and I doubt fansubs on tape are still available. The HK bootlegs aren't that bad, all things considered, but Central Anime is doing a much better job.