Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Karl Gustav Kempf approves !

Like many others I ran into this show while searching for more space-opera anime after seeing Crest of the Stars and sequels, and instantly adored it. This anime really deserves to be better known.

PS : Man of Wax, you forgot to mention that the soundtrack is almost exclusively composed of classical music - mainly the romantic period : Beethoven, Dvorak, Mahler, etc. which further enhances the epicness and the sheer badassness of the whole thing :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Wow, I had all but forgotten about this awesome piece of dialogue at the end of ep 36, between Lohengramm and the Phezzan representative. Amazing how it was able to show the extent of how each character was toying with the other...
I love LoGH.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

I :lol:ed when I saw that Oberstein did indeed have a pet dalmatian dog, about which the high admirals were making fun of a few episodes earlier when they were having a drink together. LoGH is awesome.

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 16, 2005

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

:siren: Episode 39 is out ! :siren:

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 39 - Central Anime (cb8d2367) .avi.torrent

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

To be fair, the trend of having young people not active in society is fairly recent, probably something to do with the extension of life expectancy. I can imagine very well that future societies will adapt, and make the young active sooner again. To me there's no valid reason to why an intelligent kid should spend so much time in school and start living in the real world only at age 20 to 25, considering how slow the pace of modern mass education is, in a proper environment one could do the entire primary and secondary curriculum in half the current time no problem and get valuable life experience (and maturity) way earlier.
Reinhardt did enjoy a meteoritic career to say the least, but having 15 year old orderlies would be nothing new though, similarly I don't find a 16 year old space fighter pilot shocking, quite on the contrary. Reflexes, quick thinking, and ability to withstand stress only diminish with age. Aircraft fighter pilots in the world wars (and still nowadays when they start training) were for the most part under 20 for good reason. Come to think of it, a posting as a military attaché to such a critical place as Phezzan is a bit much. Then again it seems that Yang is pretty much alone in giving a poo poo about Phezzan, everyone in the Alliance is expecting the Empire to go through Iserlohn, so to his superiors Phezzan may be perceived as a backwater just full of bankers (basically, thieves). It seems also that Julian was of some use in the defense of Iserlohn, he probably has some strong recommendations by people like Merkatz who saw some value in him.

It's also made pretty clear that Reinhardt (and Siegfried of course) would have gotten nowhere had his sister not been loving His Imperial Highness the Galactic Kaiser Friedrich IV von Goldenbaum. In feudal societies it was quite common to see some really young brat in command of regiments and armies just because he was prince so-and-so or whatever, at least until the time of Napoleon when war became serious business, and the Empire being modeled on such societies. Remember how in the beginning of Season 1 the other admirals don't take him, his abilities and his ambitions seriously.

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 29, 2005

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

I wouldn't mind if they were done faster, but what's wrong with one episode a week ?

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

drat, I see.
I heard that the scripts of all the episodes were done, so I kind of assumed that that included the translating work. That'll teach me :(

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

:siren: Episode 43 : http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 43 - Central Anime (b5aa8385).avi.torrent :siren:

EDIT : AWESOME ! Reuental is badass.

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 1, 2005

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

In any case, here's CA's ep. 44
http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 44 - Central Anime (9dfb7d1f) .avi.torrent

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Thanks, getting them for more Kircheis !

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Just saw the first half of that Gaiden OVA. Ovlesser is so hilarious, this gif was begging to be made :

BTW, Ovlesser is a tough guy, so don't make him angry or he'll throw an axe in your back !

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Ep 46 is out : http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 46 - Central Anime (c8e6458e) .avi.torrent

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

LoGH is so good that I tend to really look forward to wednesdays and thursdays. It's been a while since I felt this way about a cartoon, to say the least.

I can't wait till next week :cry:

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

What should I call it then ? a "japanese motion graphics production" ? "Anime" means "cartoon" doesn't it ? In any case I didn't mean it in a derogatory way, and of course I wouldn't put LoGH on the same level as, say, Tom and Jerry... Anyone who would do that would deserve to have the Thor Hammer fired up their rear end.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

It's this time of the week again :dance:
http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 49 - Central Anime (e2bccfba) .avi.torrent

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

In any case, start with the main episodes of the CARTOON (yeah, yeah...) first, watch at the very least the first season, so you know all the main characters, before watching the rest, which are all prequels.

"Overture to a New War" basically retells what happens in the first two episodes.

"My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" tells Yang's and Reinhard's first confrontation, chronologically taking place before the events in "Overture"

"Those who revolt", "Survivors" and "Morning's Dream, Night's Song" are actually chapter titles, part of the prequel spin-off episodes, of which there are two seasons, which as a whole are called "Gaiden" or "Gaiiden" (not sure about the spelling).

1) "A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights", which chronologically start when Reinhard and Siegfried are fresh out of Officer Training and get their first posting on a shithole frozen border planet
2) "Spiral Labyrinth" also features stories of Yang Wenli's beginnings. This season ends with Reinhard being promoted a full three-stripe admiral and receiving his personal flagship, the Brünnhild

The stories depicted in those two seasons are not always in chronological order, they each take place in chapters of about 3 to 5 episodes, some of them are very good, some others suck, but it's all worth watching.

Haven't seen "Golden Wings", crappy HK subs and unusual character design were not good enough for me.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Nichol posted:

edit: although it seems suspcious. Wouldn't massive things like that going that quickly that near to a planet have some sort of effect on it?

Considering the difference of mass of the projectile and of the planet, AFAIK, no.

Of course where it would definitely some sort of effect is if it hits the planet, the impact would release lots and lots of energy and really gently caress up the whole place, considering how a similar-sized asteroid going nowhere near as fast could in theory trigger huge tidal waves and block the sunlight for years and induce the death of 99% of living species and all that.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Coldbird posted:

Oh well. Science does kind of take a back seat in many parts of this show - the one battle near the black hole, the battle at Vermillion between Yang and Lohengramm with the 'debris cloud of dead ships spanning an orbital plane :rolleye:, Bucock's last fight in the asteoid field (there's no way they'd all be that close together), and there's lots more examples. But these are typical violations that are made more often than not in sci-fi so I think we've all gotten used to them.

Yeah, add to that the usual 'noise in outer space' inconsistency.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Wow, talk about a cliffhanger ending !

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

By all means do start with 1-4 !
Torrents are pretty fast, and considering the torrent with eps 1-4 has 10 seeds and 20 leechers, you'll very likely be done with downloading in less than 24 hours.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

I suppose the set you're trying to get is 5-8, I just checked and the torrent is indeed damned slow. Since I'll be gone for the weekend, I just hopped on it and am superseeding at 64 kilobytes/sec. If the next set is equally slow just say so and I'll hop on it too.

Happy watching ;)

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 54 - Central Anime (4e23db3d) .avi.torrent

So that's the end of Season 2 and the Free Planets Alliance :cry:

The Free Planets Alliance is dead, long live the Free Planets Alliance !
Here's an mp3 for the occasion : NEVAR FORGET

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

For fighter pilots it sort of makes sense when you consider that reflexes only get worse as you get older.
Also, kids in general serve just as young in the Reich. In the prequels, it's made clear that cadets (mainly nobles and few commoners apparently) join military schools at age 10 on a voluntary basis to make a career as officers, normal people just get enlisted when they reach adulthood (as seen in the prequel episode where Kircheis meets his soon-to-be-drafted university student friend from childhood).

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Very interesting documentary-style episode !
The part with the massacre and looting of that city and the military denying it reminded me a lot of the Rape of Nanking, rather chilling... Just when I thought my interest in the series had abated after the second season, just like Man of Wax I can't wait to find out about Earth.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Have Julian and Mashenko reached Earth yet ? Find out in this week's episode !
http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 57 - Central Anime (48cab458) .avi.torrent

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img265/6665/snapshot200512140036526an.jpg
Oh Truniht your loyalty is boundless :rolleyes:

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 14, 2005

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Can't think of any other place to look than http://www.logh.net/ even though the database is incomplete, especially for the later seasons.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

I'm not sure about this but I don't think there is a manga, the show is based off a series of books.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Haha that's pretty neat :)

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Man of Wax posted:

I don't think that was an allusion to Maison Ikkoku so much as the ideal Japanese wife fantasy. It was freaking me out the whole time watching. Greenhill continually whining about cooking pissed me off somewhat.

In all honesty, I'm not sure Mr. Yang's cooking skills will keep both of them well fed, it seemed to me it was a lot more along the lines "I have to learn to cook or WE'LL STARVE because my husband is useless". Remember he had his pension reduced so they won't be able to afford takeaway. Still yeah, the Japanese housewife stereotype is annoying, makes you wonder how long the Japanese are going to go on living like it's the 1950's.

Man of Wax posted:

In regard to "the girl" with whom Julian will one day have hot sex are we thinking Kircheis' sister? I don't remember if he and Julian actually met, but I can think of no one else who make sense.

I'm not sure thatSchenkoppever had sex with Kircheis, Man of Wax.

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 11, 2006

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 61 - Central Anime (f138e778) .avi.torrent

It seems that in the distant future, centuries from now, Wagner operas will still be popular :q:

EDIT : vvv that's because I'm an idiot. fixed now

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 17, 2006

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Specineff posted:

Well, the action is certainly starting to pick up! [ep 61]Does anyone else think that Shenkopp's little speach about preserving individual human rights is a tad hypocritical, considering he's killed about a dozen people in the past 24 hours? I realize that his threats are bluffs, but it really seems that the only rights he cares about are Yang's. Not that that would be out of character, it just bothered me a little bit.

Schenkopp may be Yang's buddy, but his actions are not so unselfish either, he also cares about his own rights. He knows that as the leader of the Rosenritter, his head along with the ones of his outfit would be the first to be offed if there's any trouble with the Empire, as had been said in the episode.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Also, the Empire and the collaborationist Alliance have mutual interest in keeping the new Alliance government sovereign and recognised. As such, as has been said by the characters in the show, it can't just go and kill the people it doesn't like (like Yang, or the Rosenritters) or it will lose any legitimacy. Which is not a good thing if that leads to more suffering of the general population, which has already suffered enough from the war.
The Rosenritter are like Yang, the Lohengramm regime doesn't really care about them as long as they don't cause any trouble, it's really just the collaborationists who are worried about not looking good and thus having their authority reduced by the Empire (which they justify as being unbeneficial to the nation).

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Pardon the pun, but that episode rocked. No seriously, imperial armored troops versus crazy cultists, now there's a fight.

:toot:

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 8, 2006

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Gentlemen, I bring you... MORE CORN !
Episode 64 : http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 64 - Central Anime (fda3d1ee) .avi.torrent

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Ep 66 is out at last.
http://a.scarywater.net/ca/logh eps 66 - Central Anime (c67fcca3) .avi.torrent

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

In the prequels, Reinhardt has a conversation with Kircheis that makes it pretty clear that they both prefer women but that they're just not that interested yet, or something to that effect.

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

At last !
The wait was worth it though, I thought that episode excellent. Now the mood is clearly different from the previous seasons, it's more melancholic and the characters aren't fighting the same fight, still it's very palpable (just like in the previous seasons) that it's largely the events driving the characters and not the other way round.
Also, <3 Beethoven symphonies <3

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Episode 15 was my favorite, with its dramatic opening and ending. Oh and "Attack ! Attack ! The goddess of victory is waving her underwear in your faces.".

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Best-looking space battle yet, can't wait for ep 72 :cry:

The Therminador fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 1, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Therminador
Mar 31, 2004

Yamato was, and to a certain extent, is, pretty cool. It dates back to the seventies and was the first space-opera anime which every kid growing up in Japan at that time saw, or so I hear.
I believe what they are subbing is the second season. If you have time and don't mind crummy animation, check out the first season, you might enjoy it. I did.