Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nate RFB posted:

CA is slowly making DVD rips* which do look slightly better, but the originals are fine, especially considering the source.

*In glorious 29.97 fps :(

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

This is from ages ago, but note that this sort of thing happened even in their LD rips, so it's not like there's a tradeoff in terms of quality here. The first couple episodes looked too bad for me to really deal with, but even with incompetent DVD encoding those versions were better. By the time I ran out of DVD versions they were tolerable, leading to the following: I just finished the series a few hours ago. It owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Incidentally, having just finished start to end in the span of 20 days, it's interesting to go and look back at the thread when people were being forced to watch piecemeal with no indication of when the next episode was coming. For example:

eXXon posted:

Well, since I can't help myself, I've watched up to ep 70. Don't read the spoilers if you haven't.

So Yang's crew take over Iserlohn by Bagdash hacking the gibson and preventing Thor's Hammer from firing at their own fleet. Seriously, this is bullshit. So far the series has avoided appearing contrived, but this practically screams 'lazy writing'.

I'm not quoting this because I expect a response to a five year old (give or take) post or anything, but it's hilarious what a difference watching the show all at once makes. As they fled Iserlohn, Yang laid a trap, which is mentioned later to Julian but whispered so the audience can't hear. This was just finally letting us in on the secret after like 20 episodes.

This, as it happens, is exactly why despite starting the download process for the series back with this thread in 2004 I only started it three weeks ago (well, in part). Of course, waiting for them to finish releasing turned into waiting until I felt I had enough time to watch a 110 episode series which was just waiting and waiting and... let's just say it's nice to finally be done rather than waiting to start.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Kweh posted:

E: Also, 2 days ago this thread turned 5 years old. :drat:

This thread is over a year older than Zorak, the ADTRW moderator's (I'm sure you knew this, but it's interesting for perspective) SA account. This is both a testament to how badly some people wanted to see this, and how long it took to finally sub the whole drat thing.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Vir posted:

The only real complaint I have against LotGH, is how easily Oberstein was led to rebellion against the Kaiser - in a somewhat cliché fashion, I feel.

Oberstein died for the Kaiser, you're thinking of Reuenthal. Worse though, you seem to be forgetting the fact that his rebellion wasn't merely foreshadowed, he basically explicitly said fairly early on that if he ever had the opportunity he would do so.

Honest Ray posted:

So where did you fellow classy gents first hear of this show? I went to a panel about it at an anime convention over the summer in 08 and I decided to burn through the show over my break. I then proceeded to offer anyone I knew who watched anime to give it a try and got my brother and two friends into the show, and both of my friends got people into the show. Its like this web of good taste that forms.

I heard whispers of it before this thread existed actually, due to my love of the Seikai no * series. Of course, seeing how slow C-A was, I decided not to start watching until they were done, and by the time they finally were I was already in a state of putting it off so even a neophyte like Zorak (whose regdate is later than this thread's OP, amusingly) got to it first. But I'm done now, and it owns. Now if only C-A will take the knowledge gleaned from competent encoders, combine it with their hard work on translating, and give us the quality output a series of this caliber deserves. There's not likely to be anything like it again, after all :(.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Anonymous-san posted:

Oh my God I am so glad this thread still exists. I just marathoned the gently caress out of this show in about two weeks, and I'm having a hard time gathering up the gumption to watch the two movies because I don't want my LoGH experience to end ;____;

The first movie takes place before the series, the second is basically the first two episodes expanded. For all intents and purposes, you're done with that stuff.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Vir posted:

I have to ask though - does LoGH really benefit in any way from Blue Ray resolution?

Nobody knows yet.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
In a just world, somebody competent would downscale the BD rips of the TV series to 480p, as it does look better than the DVD versions in some ways (primarily less yellow, also no risk of lolMPEG-2 artifacts) but is absolutely not worth the bandwidth of HD releases. Unfortunately, this is not a just world, so we're basically stuck with CA's terribly encoded DVD releases as the peak.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

DamnGlitch posted:

Unfortunately that goes counter to the nature of science fiction at times, whose primary purpose is to develop a universe with it's own laws and then function according to them.

Your first mistake is believing that this series is science fiction.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

but CA has never done a lovely release so far so I think we can trust it

I'd laugh very hard at this, but they didn't encode the Blu-Ray rip themselves, they just muxed their subtitles into it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

Uh well if you reread my post I didn't actually say that THEY had made the Blu Ray rip... just heavily implied it. In Heibi's post I think he said that it was the QTS rip too. Were their VHS subs really bad or something? Everything I have seen of theirs has been good.

I never said you did. Their DVD rips look like rear end.

Nate RFB posted:

CA is slowly making DVD rips* which do look slightly better, but the originals are fine, especially considering the source.

*In glorious 29.97 fps :(

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I mean, sure this screencap is better looking than the LD rip version, but I'd love for them to apply their subs to anybody else's video in general.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

sensual benny posted:

One example: Dusty Attenborough doesn't exist in the books.

Official: The books are wildly inferior and should be ignored.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zorak posted:

It's upscaled.

Nope! The series is, the movies aren't.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Gary Mitchell posted:

I was bored yesterday and decided to drop myself in the middle of the series somewhere and enjoy some good ol' LoGH without starting at the beginning. Except I picked somewhere in the mid 30's and got 5 straight episodes of NOTHING HAPPENING. Although I know a lot more about the palace on Odin (I'm not going to look up the spelling :eng99: ).

The episode titles are mostly vague to me because I always ignored them for spoiler's-sake. Which episodes kick off the good poo poo?

This is a terrible idea and you are a terrible monster for doing it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
The fact that he's seen it before doesn't make it less terrible.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is there anywhere I can find spoiler-free character descriptions and maybe even pictures of them? I'm terrible at remembering faces/names and who does what in a normal show, let alone one that introduces a half dozen new characters an episode.

You know how they get their names under them when they're introduced? This happens every episode for a long, long time. I don't mean with new people, I mean the same characters, over and over again.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Reminder that despite being 110 episodes and people referring to the side stories as the OVAs, the main series is also an OVA, which almost universally means higher budget than TV of the time to boot.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Eiba posted:

And here are a couple cells from the anime that don't clear things up:

So is this supposed to be dark green or black?

Those cels are totally green, there's not even a question here. I suggest you fix your friend fix his eyes and/or monitor.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

DamnGlitch posted:

It depends on the contrast. At certain contrasts that is very obviously green and others its so black you'd wonder where anyone could possibly get green.

Hence fix his monitor; if he can't tell that's green it's set wrong. There's a faster way to settle this though:

Green is higher than red and blue, which are the same. Granted, this is a fairly dark green on this cel, but when you combine the pictures where the green is super obvious with the fact that even at its darkest it's more green than gray, and there is no debate.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
There's not much reason for you to watch the movies now. The first one happens before the series, the second takes the place of the first two episodes.

The OVAs mostly aren't bad (aside from Golden Wings, which isn't subbed yet anyway) but you won't kick yourself for missing out or anything.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It may be worth noting that C-A has finally put out DVD rips of the entire 110 episode main series, and the first group appear to not be the ones I know I had back when I first watched it, so it's possible these newest versions were made after somebody taught their guy what inverse telecine means. Next time you feel the itch to rewatch, you should trade up.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nate RFB posted:

Oh cool. A quick check should be the framerate (23.976 and it's been IVTCed, probably), and for me at least that's the first 22 episodes.

I honestly haven't downloaded any of it yet, don't have the harddrive space at the moment. If anyone's jumped to it and could remark, that'd be great.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nate RFB posted:

I feel pretty confident at this point that 1-18 are the only DVD episodes you need to redownload. Also if any of you are usenet users, go that route because it looks like every episode is up on binsearch and fanzub and it's way faster than anything else.

Of the DVD episodes maybe, but they only just finished the LD run within the last month or so. I'm pretty sure most of us only have LD rips.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Kegslayer posted:

Also Yang's just a cool guy, give the man a cup of tea (and rum) and a sandwich and he's relaxed at every situation.

That sounds gross. He drinks his tea with brandy in it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Takes No Damage posted:

All of CA's stuff is also up at nyaa.eu, just search 'central anime' and grab the season batches.

Sadly, a couple of the updated episodes aren't available from their torrents, just their IRC bots. The BBT torrent has them for you.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Jayisspecial posted:

This may have been asked many times before, but I don't see it in the OP so I'll risk the fire. I downloaded the movies and some of season one from the OP's post, but none of them are subtitled. How is this supposed to work exactly? I'd really like to give this series a try.

They're all subtitled, how are you trying to watch these?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Speaking of which, both movies have finally be attached to BD video sources, and they look glorious.

Also, the entire series has been attached to 720p BD sourced 10bit video, if you've got the HD space for it. They're definitely upscaled, but not by someone as incompetent as Q-TEC so they look better than just upscaling the DVD itself does.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

DamnGlitch posted:

80s anime based on even earlier book series.

The novels were all written in the 80s, the main series was 1988 to 1997. Calling it 90s isn't particularly inaccurate.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Eiba posted:

I understand the compulsion to apologize for it all too well, but the FPA is supposed to be a depiction of a liberal egalitarian society, in contrast to the conservative hierarchical Empire... the fact that there are so few women and so many white people is a result of the author's cultural baggage and actively hurts the strength of the setting.

Where did you get the idea that the FPA is supposed to be anything so positive? The strength of Yang's character comes from the fact that the FPA is an oppressive, corrupt shithole, but it's a democratic shithole so he prefers it to even the most benevolent dictatorship on principle. You know, even when government officials are sending goon squads to kill dissenters. That doesn't sound particularly liberal to me. This isn't just a matter of cultural baggage, you're not supposed to look on either side and see an ideal government. They're both flawed, because they're both human.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Eiba posted:

You really don't think the FPA is supposed to have an unambiguously positive history?

Did you watch the show?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Eiba posted:

The FPA is corrupt as hell... but it's history is ideal. It's foundation is pure. That's the whole loving point of the FPA. It's the right system (in Yang's estimation at least- and Yang's never explicitly called out for being wrong), but it's still really lovely because of people.

I agree with all of this, but how does this impact your assertion that it is a liberal egalitarian society and therefore should be less of a regressive shithole than it is in practice?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
To be clear, they're upscales of the DVD masters not the DVD encodes. MPEG-2 is a loving sin, so avoiding it by using a BD rip is always a gain.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zorak posted:

Aren't the BDs the ones where they replaced a bunch of the animation is newer computer animation that is somewhat jarring?

They did that for the DVDs. These are literally upscales of the DVD masters.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Somebody competent finally encoded My Conquest is the Sea of Stars. Click the group name for 720p if that's more your speed. The QTS raw that the previous release used is fairly awful, so replacing it might not be the worst idea.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Takes No Damage posted:

Oh good, previously the only options were standard 4:3 or HD with the top and bottom cropped to force widescreen. Hopefully this is the best of both, checking it out tomorrow.

It's identical to the QTS raw in that respect, cropped (it was of course a movie, so this is how it was originally shown even if not animated), it's just that the encoder was competent.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Legend of Galactic Heroes' rights are held up by the same company that's holding up Dennou Coil: the publisher of the novels, Tokuma Shoten. If you think Japanese anime companies are unreasonable and steeped in old ideas/business models, you do not want to think much about book publishers. The only reason Australia even got Dennou Coil out of them (and we in the US obviously haven't benefited from this cracking of the door) is that the head of the company was a huge fan and went to Japan repeatedly to negotiate.

Our anime industry, at this point, is not run by that sort of fan of anything. Unless someone with tremendous amounts of money, free time, and love for this series arises, this will never leave the shores of Japan. It certainly won't be dubbed beyond that apparent tiny spec dub of two episodes.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nate RFB posted:

Are you sure this is the version to get? I'm only now getting around to downloading this (mostly because the 720 torrent was dead and had to look elsewhere), but there seems to be a lot more detail in the QTS raw: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/134441. Baffling since the R-R release has a much higher bitrate.

This comparison shows the exact opposite of what you're claiming though. The background is sharper in QTS (particularly the bottom left), but the rest is smoothed out ridiculously, and blocky as hell. I'm assuming this sharpness is due to (ab)use of warpsharp, which is a sin, considering the fairly gross smoothing elsewhere that appears to be caused by a different old and sinful filter (fft3d?).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

duck monster posted:

Didn't he do another space opera series as well with some sort of similar faux period dress type setting? I'd be pretty loving interested to see how that is.

Yes, Tytania. Part of it got adapted. Don't watch it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Takes No Damage posted:

Right, as far as I've ever heard anything at a higher than DVD resolution is simply an upscale from said DVD source. For a niche anime OVA from the late 80s/mid 90s 480p is as good as it's going to get, there's no going back and rescanning from the source like they're doing with Star Trek: TNG. If you've got Central Anime's DVD releases of everything you should be all set.

Well... no. They certainly could scan the film (and upscale the redrawn bits) at a higher resolution and get more detail out of it. This is nothing like the TNG issue. I prefer the BD rips in general, because the DVDs have a weird hosed yellow tint, and mpeg-2 has never done any video any favors, but the difference is definitely minimal compared with a well done BD release.

Aside from the movies. The movies did get a full rescan, so absolutely replace them one and all.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Uznare posted:

It's from 1989, I'm fairly certain there's no CGI for those sequences. You're thinking of the issues Bebop had to get to BD.

No, he's right that the new footage for the DVD release is CG, but it's easily the minority. A competent upscale of those scenes with a rescan of the film would definitely be an improvement, but there's no getting around the fact that some of it needs upscaling, unless you want to go back to the original LD/VHS footage that they replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

reagan posted:

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong with the mkv files, but I just downloaded the show from the torrent listed a few pages back, and the first few files give me an error message. After that, VLC just opens most of the files and sits there, but for a few of the files it actually opens up and plays the show. My computer isn't that crummy. :smith:

Your computer might not be crummy, but VLC is. Of course, if it's simply not opening the files, I'm going to assume your downloads are corrupted rather than anything else.

eXXon posted:

Oh, I was just reminded that Julian is the worst character and he sucks. Maybe it was the crappy subs but it seemed like the during entire show he wass treated like a brilliant young prospective leader sure to become the successor to Yang for no discernible reason.

The subs aren't crappy, and he literally did exactly that, which seems like a pretty discernible reason to me.