Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Well, up to ep 18 and I'm hopelessly hooked. This is a loving great series, and honestly should be the top of recomendations for people like me who kind of get put off by anime's monster-robot/magic-powers/creepy depcitions of young girls tendencies. Its just none of that. Its got a fantastic political subtext about the psychology of fascism and the corruption of democracy, and as a politics nut, I adore that. The fact that a horrible oval office like Reinhard von Lohengramm seems so human makes him a fantastic villain, you can actually see how he was made the way he was. Everything about this seems plausible, and thats I think why I like it.

Its still an escapist anime but its plausible, and its deeply interesting especially the historical analogies and the plausible political formations.

Fairly sure I'm going to finish first season today, which is pretty drat spergy of me, oh well.

The prussian empire references are brilliant by the way.

e: Episode 19. My god! This poo poo just gets more epic by the minute.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

jonjonaug posted:

Reinhard isn't the villain though. He honestly intends to reform the Empire, increase equality among the social classes, do away with a lot of the ridiculous privileges that nobles have, and so on. He just doesn't believe in democracy, and as the show goes on it isn't very hard to see why.

I've started on season 2 and I'm starting to realise this.

By the way, this has a loving excellent sound track EXCEPT the intro+outro songs which make me want to scape my ears out.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 15, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Dire Penguin posted:

LoGH's classical score is really drat good. It's not just older pieces either. It's too bad the soundtrack doesn't use the full length versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJFXqYEYd8

Yeah, I just don't like the sappy intro/outro j-ballad stuff. Some epic-rear end wagner 500 piece orchestra + cannon stuff would have been much better.

Its not that surprising a japanese anime would have this sort of score as perhaps uncommon as it is. Classical has a big history in Japan going back a good couple of hundred years. The aristocracy in japan where as fond of western classical as the westerners where, and although Japanese composers are not well known in the west, there where a few easily the peers of their western well known counterparts.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 15, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

:siren:If you havent made it to the big thing in ep82-83 therabouts, dont read this loving spoiler. Its massive:siren:

Just made it past episode , uh was it 82-83 or something and holy loving poo poo the bastards killed Yang!!!!!!!!!!!!. Well I sort of saw it coming with the bloody thing announcing THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME xxxx SEES YANG at the end of episodes for like about 5-6 episodes before hand. That said, Julian the adopted son seems a really well thought out character and surprisingly non-annoying for the teenage-hero role. He's no yang, and though Its a bit iffy that the Yang fleet would accept his ascention so readily, he's a great character and I'm eager to see where they take him in the final series. I'm also impressed they resisted the urge to give into the pathos and have a scene where julian is holding a dying yang and says "I'll miss you....... dad" which would probably have left me bawwwwing my eyes out. Its impressive they resisted that urge, though. Seriously though What the hell!!!!! gently caress the earth!

Also, when you start getting to the mid 70 range episodes Stop watching the previews, they give the major plot twist away far too easily.

e: Oh I just worked out why Yang was so calm and frankly useless. He was off his tree on the sleeping pills. Got it.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 19, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Does anyone else get the impression that underlying the basic dynamic here of a ruthless yet surprisingly humane empire vs a corrupt but well intentioned democracy, is a bit of a reflection on Japan itself coming to terms with its own history. I've heard a lot of japanese people express the opinion that its own emperor pre WW-II was basically a good guy who lead his invasions out of some sort of noble liberation cause. I'm not sure history actually supports that diagnosis at all, but its one I understand a lot of japan feels. Theres just a lot of interesting parallells here. A modern japan that would justifyably see its democracy as roughly a good thing but really loving broken in some fundamental ways, a history of imperialism underwritten by a reflective rose tint of high ideals, and the experience of being under occupation. Unlike Germany that took its post-war plight pretty much as "gently caress the past, the New Germany is a super progressive wonderland and the old germany is poo poo and evil", Japan has struggled with self doubt and regret over the outcome of its war and a fear that its westernisation will crush its traditional values. Its like there are two souls of japan politically and they want to kill each other, yet each soul contains the seed of the other. I might be rambling, and ultimately literature criticism really doesnt speak of much except the critic, but I can see a huge amount of a definately japanese line of political reflection here, despite the fact its historical references seem on the surface deeply indebted to european rather than japanese history.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

Wait till you see what happens next!

Ear-splittingly bad theme song for the forth season?

I love the sound track in these things, the classical music is good, really good. But god drat the theme tunes have been consistently terrible "No fear you warm revive! It must be something that comes fwooding into my heart!"

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

That sounds gross. He drinks his tea with brandy in it.

I don't know why you'd spoiler that. He's doing it since the beginning.

Also am I the only one whos around the late 80s early 90s episodes practically shouting at the TV "Tell the loving kaiser what you know about the cunts from earth. He'll respect you little dude, just tell him!"

e: Goddamn marry her you ridiculous overpriveleged manchild. Aaaaaaa

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 19, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Episode 97 has a section in it that has to be one of the most brilliant uses of soundtrack I've seen. A character is looking death in the face and as he's being tended to by the doc, the music dips back really mellow like and sort of starts pulsing, and as it swells in and out, flashbacks of various fallen martyrs and lost friends come in and out, and its an almost reality bending combination. Music can be loving *amazing* in capable hands as an acompaniment to visuals, and this is a loving masterful example of it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The bulletproof qualities dont seem so consistent.. Indeed in some parts the suits are permeable, but in other scenes the dudes completely tank laserfire and bullets without so much as a scratch.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Are the prequel series available? The only prequel thing I can find on usenet is golden wings , which I've been reliably informed is garbage (But I'll probably watch it anyway).

I know however there was a whole bunch of episodes of prequel stuff that I cant find on usenet or torrent.

Or are these :filez: or something?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I gotta say I haven't enjoyed the prequel series half as much as the main series. What the hecks with the detective story arcs? I mean none of its bad, its just not as interesting.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah its mainly a plot device to give an analog of how wars and physical terrain interact. Its a pretty old sci-fi trope, to be honest.

Isn't the two sides of the galaxy in this supposed to be in different arms of the milky way? If so I imagine its supposed to be the supermassive blackhole(s?) at the center of the milkyway, assuming they know about that back then. Not that ACTUAL blackholes would create anything like a corridor, but hey its an anime, not a science lesson.

If space opera obeyed physics, most of the ship scenes would have the inhabitants floating helplessly around the ship. Which I contend would make everything better.

*spock floats helplessly past captain kirk trying to catch the bubble of coffee before it messes up the computers*

duck monster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 28, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Pandub posted:

Yeah I started to catch on that Seig might be having the hots for the sister, but still he gave those long looks to Reinhard....so it had me thinking some rather twisted thoughts along the lines of, "Well, he does look like his sister, maybe he is projecting his affection for her onto him"...

Watching episode 7 now...just saw the Rosen-Ritter do their thing. They are the badass SEAL types. A group of 3 or 4 taking out 50 enemy? "We are the Rosen-Ritter! You're no match for us." Oh yeah, that's how you walk into a room! I hope to see more of these guys.

They get REALLY badass later on. Theres a loving reason the empire is terrified of them.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Oberstein is like a cooler smarter Dick Cheney. Willing to play the bad guy and make tough decisions in order to make Reinhard look good. One of my favorite characters to watch.

Oberstein is awesome, because he's completely villianous, except for the fact he is at all points pretty much acting in everyones best interests so he's not a a villian at all.. Just a bit of a uptight prick.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^ Yeah this is one show you would need to have front and center in your media shelves, were it officially available.

Just last Friday I watched the episodes where (late season 1) he sends the recon probe ahead to watch that planet get nuked by the nobles for propaganda fuel, rather than pushing Reinhard to get the intercept fleet there sooner and save 2 million lives. His argument pretty much mirrored the USA's decision to light up Japan at the end of WWII. Dude is hardcore Lawful-Neutral.

Ugh. Yeah I forgot about that bit. Ok, he's a bit of a prick...

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I probably shouldn't be laughing at this, but some of the homebrew attempts at english in this show really do amuse me sometimes

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ChaosSamusX posted:

They still use QBasic in the far future? Did they just not expect an English translation?

Not the far future, back in modan history

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Kiamet posted:

That episode had the biggest WHAT moment in the series - Brisbane, Capital of the Earth! :haw:

In the 80s there was bit of a love affair going on between Japan and Brisbane. There was a *huge* amount of japanese investment going into the place, and it was marketted very effectively as basically the golden standard for asian tourism. The bottom fell out when the japanese economy crashed in the asian financial crisis, but before that there was an absolutely massive japanese tourism industry for brisbane. The aim was to make brisbane for japanese tourists what bali is for australian tourists.

Of course any hope of recovery of that industry was kneecapped by pauline hanson and the international media cottoning on to the fact that much of queensland (at least at the time) was full of unreconstructed racist fuckwits. Oh well. congrats rednecks , you drove away the money cow.

Thats probably , considering this is an 80s to early 90s TV show, where that comes from, the idea that brisbane was some sort of utopia.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

David Corbett posted:

Is that necessarily a villainous deed? From a strictly teleological or utilitarian perspective, fewer people died under those circumstances. Couldn't an argument be made that, by stopping the attack, you're taking an action that actually results in more deaths/human suffering/whatever? The real villain here, of course, is the one who launched the nuclear attack. Of course, I can't imagine that many people adhere to that sort of ethics - I certainly can't handle them myself - but I think it fits quite well with Oberstein's character. It's just, I guess, one of those things that adds a lot more depth to LOGH - very few shows would take on this sort of thing and its implications, and I think that, overall, they do it quite well.

Its basically the point though where utilitarianism gets psychotic. Do you permit the murder of millions to save tens of millions, or do you go "Hang the gently caress on this calculus of suffering is very loving evil, need another perspective here!".

I think theres a comment on hiroshima/nagasaki here, where the show is acknowledging the americans basic moral argument for why it did what it did, but also countering that regardless, mass bloodbathing civilians is an evil act regardless of the higher cause. But rather than make the explicit argument, it just space-fictionalizes it, and leaves it for the viewer to make his call. Does the viewer see obersteins point of view here, or does the viewer empathize with Rheinhart's remorse?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah I'm a bit of a Kantian on this point. If you kill 2 million to save 10 million, your an evil-doer who's murdered 2 million, period. Evil things cant be good things without a giant amount of internal contradiction being accepted into the logic, and my brain just doesn't work that way. The whole thing requires a counter factual situation where somehow you magically know "Well if we dont nuke this planet we can guess 10 million will die!".

Well really? Do we know that? Without time travel we don't know that. For all we know the other guys subordinates are about to knife him for being an evil oval office but hey, nuke the bad guys farmer planet.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

DEO3 posted:

I've been stuck at home the past two and a half months with a broken ankle, and since I've got a lot of time to kill I decided to see what's what in anime. My friends and I used to watch a lot in the 90s, but aside from catching the occasional show on Toonami in the early '00s, I haven't really seen much in the past decade and didn't really know where I should start. So I decided to pop on into the ADTRW forum and saw this series in the very title of the Recommending Anime thread. After doing a bit of research I liked what I saw - it was from an older era, the same era of shows that my friends I used to watch, it reminded me of the very first anime series I ever saw - SDF Macross, and it seemed deep enough to keep my interest.

I downloaded the first 26 episodes, which for some reason I thought was the entire series, and I was hooked. Imagine my joy when I was done with 26 and discovered I had only watched but a quarter of the show's run. I went on to marathon the entire series in a week - like I said, I've got a lot of time to kill - and was still left wanting more. I don't know how some of you guys earlier in the thread managed, waiting months at a time for the next episode, as I can't fathom watching this series any other way than marathoning it.

I do feel it lost a lot of it's drama after 82 though, 83-110 was simply an entire season of the inevitable - the domination of all space by the empire. The show mainly just focused on the consolidation and internal strife within the empire at that point. Even though it was all empire all the time from that point on, I'll admit I got pretty choked up as Reuental sat in his office dying, even if I still don't truly understand his motivation for doing what he did. I think it even affected me more than Yang's death - while Yang's was sudden and shocking, Reuenthal's death was in slow motion. Sitting at his desk, wounded, alone, putting his affairs in order as the day dragged on, knowing he wouldn't live to see the end of it. The Republican Rebels really only came back into focus near the end so the show could go out with a big battle, but it didn't really seem like anyone's heart was in it, and the Republican's 'victory' was only so that they could maybe kinda get a seat at empire's table. For all their sacrifice, all they were really able to do was simply manage to live another day.

Other than that I don't have much to say. Fantastic series, just what the doctor ordered.

Well other than the fact that the rebels effectively won by getting the planetary alliance territory back and leaving open the possibility of the empire taking a UK style turn and going constitutional monarchy..

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Freaking out about space realisticness in a cartoon from a genre that usually has giant humanoid robots and magical space princesses is loving silly.

The whole show is clearly stylized on juxtaposing traditional formation warfare when armies of dudes with swords and crossbows would march about in various formations around europe, but in this with spaceships led by dudes who have prussian-like german names and wear capes. I mean come on, just enjoy it for its artistic merits.

Yes real space fights would probably involve unmanned drones firing lasers across millions of kilometers in space , but gently caress that would make boring watching.

Hell even realisitic modern war movies are not actually that realistic what with actual war being 99% boredom and 1% terror.

"Kirkesis, you take command, I have to go and take a dump."
"Snap one for me, my lord"

And yes, crest/banner of the stars is awesome. Its also a completely different sort of story to this.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 20, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Huh. Well theres no accounting for taste I guess.

e: I just finished watching planetes like last night. Great little series and completely not about space , even though its set in space, and has surprisingly realistic physics going on in it. Very human series (with some occasionally very LF politics)

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 21, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Be careful of that assumption though. One thing I found through my second watching is hidden in a lot of those "shuffling names around" scenes is a lot of the subtle politics that flare up later. I had quite a few "Ah-hah!" moments rewatching it in terms of stuff that seemed insignificant first time around suddenly becoming a lot more the other way around.

Its a monotlithic show really. But I do feel all the whacky threads of narrative really do integrate well after a while.

Also yeah, regarding the land-combat in space thing. I think a big part of the whole "corridor" thing is to allow them to do battles that parallel the sort of considerations one might make on land battle formation warfare, like in a narrow valley or whatever.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm just rewatching this now, and I want to know what idiot granted Laap the approval to set up Phezzan as a mostly-independant nation-state with the power to forbid Imperial passage through the Corridor.
What the hell kind of leverage did he HAVE on them!?

I'd assume that it was just understood that economically there was more to be gained by having a trading point between the empire and the free planets than screwing that up by stuffing it full of dopey warships. The empire seems to have different locus's of power,that have their own interests and sort of kind of coalese under the kaisers. The armed forces are pretty much your standard imperial army, its loyal to the kaiser but pursues its own interests as well, the nobles have their own little kingdoms and mainly interact on a decadent and ultimately silly powerplay level in the court, and the executive (prime-minister and so on) seem mostly interessted in economics.

So I'd guess previous prime-ministers would have realised that having a way to sell and buy from the free planets without directly engaging in any sort of traitorous *direct* contact was preferable to either straight up dealing with the FPA or alternatively loving up trade and business altogether by not trading at all. So having Phezan as a middleman removes any moral questions of collusion from it, whilst still gaining the economic benefits of free trade. And I guess the kaiser, with the prime-minister in his ear, would have consented despite whatever objections the armed forces might have.

When Longrehan gets in of course he pretty much trashes the old power structure bringing everything except regional power (which he more or less democratizes) under his direct command, and this allows him to integrate his economic and strategic objectives and thus decide "gently caress phezan".

Of course the phezani having seemingly endless wads of cash to bribe and blackmail with certainly seem to have a hand in all this too. Those who dissent to the arangement dont seem to hang around long.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 3, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

THERE IS HOPE!

poo poo, theres even a pretty loving good translation available (the fan sub) should they wish to do an english one.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rakugoon posted:

So is it subs-only or does it have that badass French dub I've seen on the youtubes?

The later answer would only be an unbearable taunt. :smith:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

Huh. The LoGH author also wrote Arslan. Learn something new every day.

Didn't he do another space opera series as well with some sort of similar faux period dress type setting? I'd be pretty loving interested to see how that is.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rime posted:

Well, it took me 6 months but I'm finally done with the main series. As a result, I feel that I'm pretty much ruined on anime and space opera for the rest of my life. I mean, I've read a shitton of sci-fi novels over the years, but this series hands down is in the top 3 I've ever experienced in any medium. Given the current state of things, I don't see another series surpassing it anytime soon.

Now to start on the prequels so I can stave off the feeling of having lost a dear friend for a little while longer.

The OVAs are a bit like seeing a dear friend on a life support system. Its just not the same, and at times actually infuriating.

Also Golden wings is bad.

The other two films are pretty good actually!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Khagan posted:

Sounds like friends hate good anime, convert or ditch them.

You don't have to be an anime fan to enjoy this one. It pretty much transcends its genre.

That said, I've had friends I've tried to convert to this one who've pretty much said "Anime? gently caress that".

And alternatively when my japan worshiping, sailor-moon loving 14yo raided my anime collection for new stuff, she hated this one. not enough magic princesses or something. Well thats OK, at least a 14yo girl actually IS the demographic for that drivel. (She loved Banner/Crest of the stars. I guess at least we have that in common.)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

hoobajoo posted:

Yeah, mainly you'd start bleeding as your membranes would succumb to negative pressure, then you'd freeze. It would be pretty anti-climactic.

Even the freezing is relatively slow, because if your floating about in space, you really don't have anywhere for the heat to go, in the sense you lose heat by radiating it, rather than conducting it. Oh you'll freeze eventually, but it might be slow and you'll definately suffocate (and probably have your internal organs all gently caress up from lack of pressure) long beforehand

My guess is being spaced would be really loving painful.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 20, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

The first Rudolf cleansing killed off like four billion people but the narrator said it was ~1% of the population. So the human population went from 400 billion to I think 39 billion at the time of the series (I just saw the episode where they give 25 and 13 billion for empire and alliance).

So it's like a 90% reduction over the course of 500 years.

I think it's said that a large chunk of the alliance's population came from people fleeing the empire. And if people were fleeing the empire then it makes sense to imagine that there were horrible famines and more terrible purges of people.

I've come to the conclusion its probably not that wise to pay much attention to quoted figures in this show as it has some pretty awful continuity problems with things like populations or how many people died in a battle and so on. ("500 ships, 2 million people!" "2000 ships, 100,000 people!", etc)

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 8, 2014

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The woman on the council who really wants the war seemed like her head was drawn wrong somehow like more head than face. I do like the slightly expanded focus on Jessica Edwards in terms of portraying her rise to office and establishing that she's important to the anti war opposition that Yangs sympathetic to

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

While I do like this a lot so far, I'm not really feeling the empire invasion arc. Omitting completely the story lines on the planet both with Kessler's arc on the planet and then later the arc with the farmer, his daughter and the helpful FPA guy and then betrayal. Removing all that kind of guts the whole arc of the context of the citizens stuck in the fear of two massive impersonal war machines. And definitely the battles seem to be more chaotic and lacking the strategic 4D chess (well 2D) of the original anime

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

So has Season 1 of the new adaption ended? because it feels like they've just given up 2/3 of the way into the empire invasion story line rather than leaving it on a cliffhanger or anything like that.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

The gaiden eps, or the new show :)

The gaiden stuff is strictly optional imho. The quality aint anywhere near as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ugh. That's pretty lame.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They're going to do "movies" in the same way Yamato 2202 did.

Well that's kinda lame :(