Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmileyPonderosa
Dec 1, 2003

Barry White used to work. Shoot, even ABBA used to work, the way I was doin' my thang.
Watched it last night on DVD. Crossposted from my blog:

Contrary to the previews and ads, <i>Sideways</i> isn't so much about two buddies enjoying wine as it is about one of them getting a much-needed kick in the rear end.

The story focuses on Miles, an aimless novelist, and Jack, a smug has-been TV actor, as they take a trip through California's wine country. <i>Sideways</i> is a very difficult movie to watch, even when it's at its most rewarding, because its protagonists are so frustrating.

Miles relies on his failed marriage and an elusive publishing contract as gauges of his worth. With that crutch in place, he's free from the pressure of having to accomplish anything worthwhile with his life. He is so convinced of the uselessness of all his efforts that he doesn't even bother to fight; instead, he guzzles down bottle after bottle of fine wine to avoid facing inevitable rejection.

Through all this, he clings to his impressive palate and his knowledge of wine as (supposedly) his main redeeming trait. So convinced is Miles that he is a loser, that he only takes pride in things produced outside himself, rather than in what he can do. He spouts trivia and facts about wine like a true connoisseur, and comes off like an obnoxious fanboy.

Jack is Miles' foil - while Miles has reduced his ego to a speck, Jack is the ultimate narcissist. His actions and attitudes are repugnant to the point of unbelievability - unless the viewer already knows someone just like him. Jack's motto seems to be, "I don't care what harm I do, as long as I can get my dick wet." Friends, loved ones, and strangers, Jack stabs them all in the back, then takes umbrage at the merest hint that he is in the wrong.

So yeah, it's a difficult movie to watch.

Aside from that, it's shot beautifully, the dialogue is good, but the wine motif was a bit too HEY GUYS LOOK OUR TASTES IN WINE RELATE TO OUR CHARACTERS HEY LOOK SYMBOLISM WOO.

Having only seen Paul Giamatti in the sadly neglected <i>Safe Men</i>, it's nice to watch him tackle a more serious - and more pathetic - role.

Overall, I'd give it a 3.5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU