Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henaki
Dec 2, 2003

by Ozma
Directed by: Sherm Cohen, Stephen Hillenburg and Mark Osborne
Starring: Tom Kenny, Rodger Bumpass, Mr. Lawrence, Jeffrey Tambor and Bill Fagerbakke

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, while seemingly a movie that will appeal to kids, and marketed torwards them as well, may not seem like the most appealing movie to you. Rest assured, almost everyone that watches Spongebob enjoys it.

Our hero, a common yellow sea-sponge, who lives in a pineapple, has dedicated his life to his job at the Krusty Krab, the local burger joint in Bikini Bottom. After the manager of the Krusty Krab decides to open a new resturant, entitled, the Krusty Krab 2, Spongebob knows he will become the new manager. Oh but poor Plankton, owner of the Chum Bucket, who has never had a single customer, must get his revenge. He unleashes, PLAN Z, to become the ruler of the world or something, because he's just that kind of evil maniac, who is also the size of Spogebob's toe.

After Plankton successfully steals King Neptunes crown, he frames the manager of the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs, of doing this dastardly deed. King Neptune then freezes Mr. Krabs, and gives Spongebob 6 days to return to him with the royal crown, or the clawed manager is dead.

A few things about this movie were absolutely great. The opening sequence throws you off completely, a rag-tag bunch of pirates find a chest, glowing yellow, with the greatest booty across the seven seas. Tickets to the Spongebob movie. This causes them to break out into song, the theme song of Spongebob that is. The scenes are quite over the top, and just plain random at some points. There is a point where David Hasselhoff lifts his manly pectorals to create a launching mechanism to quickly get Spongebob to the bottom of the sea, or the drunken ice-cream scene (yes, Spongebob gets drunk, off ice-cream).

The facial expressions in this movie are genious, reminding me off Ren and Stimpy in some cases, you can see the glee of Spongebob's face, or the raw stupidity of himself in an expression. I cannot describe how amazing these are. Just see them yourself.

The Spongebob Squarepants movie is spectacular, and unless you absolutely hate "stupid" humor, this movie will probably be worth at least a matinee.

RATING: 5

PROS: Humor appealing to both kids and adults, amazing facial expression and animation detail.
CONS: Elderly people may not enjoy the humor, you will be surrounded by a lot of kids.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0345950/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Gravy
Nov 21, 2004
I went into this movie with my little brother, expecting to laugh a little, since the series is pretty good for new age nick shows. I was wrong. Instead of obvious jokes for young kids, this movie had subtle adult humor. But it was not funny subtle adult humor. Spongebob and Patrick get drunk off of ice cream, tee hee. Also, you could tell what was going to happen next. Right down to what they would say.

This movie could of been watered down to a thirty minute episode. This crap was not even good enough for a made for TV movie. I am dead serious. The only reason this movie got so popular is because every little kid had to see this movie.

Mindy the mermaid is a bitchy goodie two shoes character that tries to help Spongebob and Patrick along the way. She was a horrible character and her voice was annoying. There are two rednecks that own a gas station that Spongebob and Patrick stop by. They make jokes about the car Spongebob is driving and Spongebob and Patrick get pissed. That scene should not have made it. It was horrible and the jokes were not funny.

The soundtrack is horrible. There is a popular ice cream parlor in the movie, and they have a theme song. Its horrible, but I suppose the creators wanted it to be. However, they play it ALL THROUGH THE MOVIE. And then, they have a corny rock version of it. Not fun.

This movie is a waste of money. If you go, expect to fall asleep, hear three year olds quoting every word that comes out of the speakers, hear a baby cry, and have a five year old kick the back of your seat. That is the basic crowd. In short, even people who belong to Spongebob cults would not like this movie. If you have a choice, see The Incredibles instead.

Pros: Honestly, nothing.
Cons: Bad jokes, horrible story, repeditive plot, bad ending.

Dishonest Résumé
Nov 28, 2003

You don't mean Communists do you, Sam?
If you aren't Squidward...ehem ^^^^... you will probably enjoy this movie. I completely loved it.
The humor goes well beyond childish films, and yet remains completely enjoyable on many levels. The characters, while obviously appealing most to children, possess endearing qualities that adults will be able to relate to, and the sheer audacity of some of the humor in a children's film will make you laugh in itself.

This movie isn't a a piece of modern art by any means, though it does poke fun at it at times. I agree the writers were a bit pressed to stretch Spongebob into a full length feature, and it does drag toward the middle, but my completely subjective love for the cute little sponge kept me interested.

To sum up, this movie is a great time for everyone. Go in expecting to appreciate it and you probably will. Also, it has the greatest ending of any film I've seen this year.

Rated 5 for spongieness.

MarvelGirl
Sep 29, 2004

quote:

skyholekicker came out of the closet to say:
Also, it has the greatest ending of any film I've seen this year.

I found this film so forgettable, that I can't even remember how it ended. I saw it three days ago.

I really didn't enjoy this, and my son, a die hard SpongeBob fan could only say "The Incredibles was way better."

Voted 1.5

tuwhitt
Jan 5, 2004
What the fuck does tuwhitt mean?
This movie could not be any better. As a fan of spongebob I expected just a watered down episode, padded out to an hour and a half. Boy was I wrong. The humour in this movie is like the show taken to the extremes. At times it can be pretty surreal.

Also, I thought there was a lot in here that I didn't know you could put in a kids movie, it's definately pushing some kind of boundary at times.

And I can also vouch for the awesome ending. Just when I didn't think it could get any better they end on a air-jump freeze-frame.

Pros: great jokes, surreal humour, great ending, hasselhoff!
Cons: they didn't use Gary or Sandy much at all

Rating: 5 (I can't wait to go see it again)

scohoe
Oct 31, 2003

always on the fence...
the only way i can review this is by saying this:

Are you a Spongebob fan?

if you said yes to the previous statement, chances are you'll enjoy this movie.

if you said no, then my guess is you probally will not.

now that goes without saying they will be exceptions, but really, being a huge fan of the show i was very entertained by the movie. It was nice to see what they could do with Spongebob when they have alot to work with. I was expecting an hour and a half long version of the t.v. show and that's pretty much what i got, but with alot of jokes that would defiently not make it to t.v. There were times i felt like we were the only ones laughing while the kids in the audience seemed shocked or almost sad when Spongebob andPatrick are frying under the heat lamp

My final thought is, if you really enjoy the show and humor of Spongebob, you will easily enjoy the movie. If you find Spongebob annoying and can't stand the t.v. show, go see The Incredibles.

pros: The Opening 5 minutes
cons: i don't really have any.

Warden Gentiles
Jul 24, 2003

Please feed the wookie.
To preface, I should say that I'm not a huge Spongebob fan in any sense of the word. I've only seen a couple of episodes, and though I did generally enjoy them, I never bothered to keep up with the show. I should also add that I have nothing against cartoons (unlike some people I know who just assume that "cartoons = childish = bad"). Also, I saw a late showing, so there were only 3 other people in the theatre besides our group, and no kids.

Anyway, I recently saw the Spongebob movie, and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't sure how Spongebob would translate to the big screen, but I think it worked out well. I laughed a fair bit during the movie, though there were a few scenes that seemed like they would totally go over the head of a younger viewer (eg the 80s rock video-style ending, which had the hilarious "his chops are too righteous!" line. I have no idea how anyone could forget that.), though I guess they might still enjoy them based on the animation.

As has been said, it did seem to drag a little during the middle, but I guess I'm not too surprised with that considering the writers are used to making 15 minute episodes. There were also some scenes that just weren't that funny in my opinion, such as the ice cream scene mentioned by an earlier poster. Probably the biggest con was that they showed the trailer for the Mask 2 at the beginning. *shudder*

Some bigger Spongebob fans than I also commented to me that there was too little Gary, Squidward, or the squirrel girl whose name I forget, but I didn't find any problems with it mostly revolving around Spongebob and Patrick. I was a bit confused by Neptune and Mindy though; they didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the characters' animation style.

To sum up, despite the fact that it dragged at times, I had a good time and would definitely recommend it to people who have no compunction about seeing "children's" movies; on the other hand, don't expect a pixar-type masterpiece.

rating: 3.5/5

Unbathed
Sep 11, 2001

Source of Funds
This is a dummlingsmaarchen, a dumbbell tale: how the imbecile fell down the stairs and saved the day. Sponge Bob takes on a quest in order to avert a miscarriage of justice, and triumphs through naïveté. It's a nice variation that the innocent being rescued is not particularly sympathetic.

PROS: Grand exaggerated animated emotions.
CONS: Lots of yelling and running where instead they could maybe have thought of another gag.

Rating: 4.5.

Shady Lane
Jul 21, 2002

Chilin ( <3 C-Mart )
If you've ever watched the show, you can't say that its really cheesy stupidity wasn't expected. I'm an idiot and so I laughed through it enough, its like a longer episode of Spongebob with a little live action twisted in, good times.

4/5

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

This movie is like a longer episode of spongebob. The LOL ratio is not on par with a single episode but what do you expect when a 20 min show has to be extended over an hour? It did drag a bit in the middle but throughout most of the movie there are plenty of laughs and enough moments to make you smile. I really didn't like king neptune or his daughter and believe they didn't fit in with the other chars but hey whatever.

Pros: Plenty of the type of humor spongebob fans have come to love.
Cons: Drag on some parts, not enough squidward.

4/5.

Braglor
Oct 12, 2004

I'm a goofy gooba! This movie had it all; I mean David Hasselhoff, 80s Rock, pirates, a cyclop and freakin' scary googley eyes. It was a nice run, but if one isn't the biggest fan of the spongebob series you may want to stear clear of it.

PROS: Spongebob Squarepants and his superfun animated situations. GOOFY GOOBA! (I swear, I'll be saying this all week now)
CONS: No plotline surprises or big turn of events.

Rating: 3.5/5

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM
If you're a fan of Spongebob, you'll probably have a heart attack (of joy) after seeing this movie. If you're a fan of classic weird-style animation (like I am) you will love this little film. I was really getting a treat for my eyeballs here. There were a lot of interesting color schemes, very wild and detailed animation, and just plain WEIRD expressions! Spongebob is not one of those characters with a set of seven "stock" emotions. He has a different face for every possible emotion you can think of. The part that really stuck out in my mind was when Spongebob and Patrick were being held under a heat lamp. I loved the animation right there.
The story wasn't that interesting if you're not a fan of the show, but if you are then it's a real treat. Plankton actually succeeds at an evil plan. We get to see the actual ruler of the sea. Spongebob goes on a quest to be a man, going to all-new previously "forbidden" locations underwater. Spongebob doesn't just go on land, he interacts with human characters. ...and of course the ending. It doesn't leave much else for the show. Where do the writers go from here? They did just about everything that could have happened in future episodes. This felt like a final episode. Of course, I liked that. You want the movie version to be on a much grander scale and not feel so much like a 75 minute episode.
There were some subtle gags that I liked, and some that I didn't. The Goofy Goober character was a great tribute to Spongebob fans. He was a weird little character that was worshipped by young and old. He even had an infectious song that you just couldn't resist singing! Kind of like the Spongebob theme, eh? At this point they poking light fun at you for liking Spongebob, but it's okay because those of us who get the joke will laugh in spite of ourselves. The mermaid character I didn't like so much. She was put there to be the generic character that only appears in the movie and is so unlike any of the other characters that she seems terribly out of place... and she did. The writers tried to make this point obvious, and it was... a little too much. This is a gag that adults will get and will probably groan over, but for kids it's going to fly way over their heads. I hate gags like that. I hated seeing Hasslehoff. Not because I hate him, but because I wanted to see an animated movie with cartoon characters. Not a live person! Boo! His time on screen was short though, and he was burnt to a crisp. Yay!
There were a number of things that seemed, well, darker than the show. These things were kind of disturbing and unexpected, but with the PG rating I think we've had fair warning. The ice cream "lady" in particular... and her "cat." That'll scare the more sensitive children. Just a warning if you have kids. Adults will never sense real danger because Spongebob lives in a silly cartoon world where no serious harm comes to anyone.
And of course, the moral is something I fell in love with: It's okay... to be a goofy goober!

I loved it. 5.5/5 just to piss off your sourpusses!

And here is my favorite review of the movie.

Sledgehammer
Jan 26, 2003

I'm a fan of spongebob so that's probably why I enjoyed this movie so much. It's just like a extra long version of the show on steroids. Awesome animations and funny story. I got my money's worth.

5/5

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
The Bikini Atoll was the site of multiple nuclear weapon testing by the U.S. government from 1946 through 1958, before which all humans were evacuated from the area. Though it's never officially acknowledged in either the series or the movie for "Spongebob Squarepants," one can assume that Stephen Hillenburg, the marine biologist who created the show, meant children to consider the horrible long-term effects of man-made pollution on sea life.

In the world of Bikini Bottom, a hideously mutated sponge creature (no doubt adapting a square shape to suit human whims,) serves mystery-meat burgers (Krabby Cakes) to fish in an absurdist parody of the real-world food industry. For the purpose of filling out a 90-minute movie slot, the whims of the universe have "Spongebob" and his unemployed retarded starfish buddy Patrick must recover the crown of King Neptune, because without it he's too distracted by his own baldness to thwart the evil designs of Plankton, who wants to take over the fish world by making them wear mind-control buckets on their heads.

This is a plot that's more fun to describe than it is to watch on the screen. It's got lots of geek and counter-culture hints throughout, giving fodder to reviewers who delight to point out that Dennis, the fish-faced hitman sent by Plankton to hunt down 'Bob and Pat', is "inspired by" Tex Cobb's character Leonard Smalls in "Raising Arizona," and that the parody music act Ween have "Ocean Man" on the film soundtrack. Unfortunately, film-geek cred can't make a movie great.

Thankfully, this movie makes up by daring to tell the children of America a story of homosexual love and devotion between two mentally-challenged sea creatures. Spongebob and Patrick start off as best friends, but the stresses of their quest push them gradually closer to the forbidden zone. The tension builds as they frolick on David Hasselhoff's bouyant yet supple back as he speeds them home to Bikini Bottom (his method of propulsion is unclear as he doesn't use his hands or feet, but it's obvious to movie viewers that Hasselhoff's submerged cock is their engine of freedom,) leading up to the climax as they're squeezed between the Baywatch star's tremendous pectoral muscles and shot back to the bottom of the sea.

Praise to Nickelodeon for having the courage to provide entertainment that encourages sexually frustrated and mentally-challenged children to admit their innermost desires. No doubt many children are realizing that the giggly elation they felt at one of the film's first sight gags, when the back of Spongebob's ubiquitous square pants pops open to reveal forbidden cartoon flesh, might be the confirmation they needed to admit the truth.

Absorbent and yellow and gay as can be. SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS!

RATING 2.0 (5.0 if you have cross-dressing children who like to do naughty things with gerbils.)

J.theYellow fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 12, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry for the necro, but it just opened in Asia and I didn't get to see it until now.

I'll reiterate that you have to have some familiarity with the show to "get" this movie as an adult.

What struck me most about the film was that it had an obvious moral which was presented far more aggressively than in any of the television episodes. The tv show had various messages too, but they were arrived at almost accidentally in the course of various mayhem (e.g. don't over-train gary the day before the big snail race). In the movie's case the message was much more explicit, and that was less fun. However they made up for it by creating a totally nonsensical ending that in no way referenced the moral of the film at all, which obviously rocked out completely. The way it made no sense at all, and was never really fore-shadowed, and in fact was completely inexplicable (spongebob has demonstrated no ability to play guitar during the film, and there seems to be no logical reason why him doing so would destroy the mind control helmets) was great. It was the highlight of the film for me.

There was a lot of weakness in it but the strengths make up for it. The entire Dennis storyline could have been cut easily, and pretty well the same with Mindy. I think the king's appearance is deliberately different as an homage to older cartoons. His little part-ticked eyes and elongated nose seem to be spitting images of vintage felix the cat.

Pros: Incredibly funny completely random ending that won't be appreciated or understood by its target audience
Cons: Weak story, lack of Sandy, Gary, Eugene.
3/5