Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Short:
If you enjoyed Wes Anderson's other movies, you'll most likely dig this one, too.

Long:

I thought this movie was great, and had a lot of great humor that left me laughing - whether it was overt and out of place (like Hennessy beating the dog Cody) to the subtle (Zissou leaving Cody on the island after calling the pirates failures for leaving it behind on the boat), to the hillariously consistant (Zissou smokes a joint in nearly every scene).

I especially loved the action scenes and the fact that people died in this movie. It's good to see Anderson embracing violence! I also thought the soundtrack was great, minus the Sigur Ros song - it was completely out of place with the rest of the soundtrack, and seemed like it was put in the movie to stress that "hay guys this is a memorable song for a memorable scene!!! GOTCHA WOO HOO!!" My only other gripe was the animation, which was kind of lovely - yet it didn't really inhibit my enjoyment of the film. The dolphin scouts were kickass, though.

I think Wes Anderson has already made his best movie (Rushmore), but that doesn't mean he's incapable of making great movies in the future.

4.5/5 - May upgrade to a 5/5 after a second viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU