Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coretti
Oct 30, 2003
On Planet Shining
Also saw this at Lincoln Center today. So surprised there's literally one screen in Manhattan playing the film, from what I could find.

I just didn't make an emotional connection with this like I did Rushmore or RT. There were likable, fleshed out characters in those films, but here:
-Steve Zissou was funny and all, but he just didn't seem grounded in anything - it was very hard to get a handle on his character, and even after finishing the movie, I'm not sure if I understand what drives him or makes him tick in any way.
-Owen Wilson's character merely annoyed me. For someone who's supposed to be so upset about how his potential father ignored him, he didn't seem to ever get that point across.
-You remember how in RT, Anjelica Houston and Gene Hackman had that spark, so you could see why they were interested in each other once? I got none of that here between Houston and Murray.

I also think they were trying to play too many things for laughs - the representative from the bond company, the "crazy eyes" during what's supposed to be the emotional motivation for the rest of the movie, Cate Blanchett being a "bull dyke", Jeff Goldblum being gay? to the point where it just felt like they were trying to hard to play it for laughs.

(Most inexplicable moment of the screening: A fair amount of audience laughter in the scene where Jeff Goldblum beats the three-legged dog. What the gently caress, people?)

All of this said, the movie saved itself in the last 15 minutes. The helicopter crashing scene, with the very subtle shots of the camera going under water...man. And the eventual breakdown of Steve at the end (again, slightly tainted by a big push for laughs with the "everyone has a hand on his shoulder" thing.)

So while I'm not going to sit here and say it was a poor movie, I was disappointed as someone who's followed most of Anderson's work. 3 out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU