Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Directed by: Mike Leigh!
Starring: Imelda Staunton, Richard Graham, Alex Kelly, Daniel Mays ...

Well, we don't seem to have a review of this up yet, so seeing as I've just been to see it, I guess I'll do the honours.

Will you like this film? Yes, if you like Mike Leigh films and you like Imelda Staunton. If you've only seen Leigh's earlier work (Abigail's Party, Nuts In May), then be warned that he's a lot less cheerful these days. But, if you enjoyed Secrets & Lies then this should be your cup of tea. ML seems to have the twin knacks of picking outstanding casts and getting terrific performances from them. And Imelda Staunton, being one of the all-time great character actresses, is every bit as good in this film as you'd hope.

The entire cast give spiffing performances, with even the bit-part characters emerging as fully rounded people. It's impossible to really single out any particular actor for special credit in this film (other than I.S.). Oh, and the period detail is terrific too.

The film deviates somewhat from the central plot temporarily to show how abortion was managed among the moneyed classes. This is actually necessary to put Vera's `crimes' in perspective and to show that there were no real alternatives for her customers. In a lesser film, the protagonist of these sequences would emerge as a character witness for Vera at the end and save the day, but this is a Mike Leigh film so you know things will probably be bleaker and more realistic than that! However, the film doesn't really preach at all, it's more illustrative than arguing for or against the abortionists.

There are no actual villains in the film, although Vera's sister-in-law is a cow and her childhood friend who `arranges' things is a nasty old bat, the real evil being a social system that effectively reserved terminations for the wealthy and well-connected. The police, the lawyers, the doctors are all jolly nice people. I found this lack of a target rather frustrating really, as it gave me nothing to get really riled about (and how I love to get riled!). It also means that what could be a very depressing film, actually doesn't depress too much.

Two thoughts to take away: 1. If Imelda Staunton doesn't win the best actress Oscar then it will be time to break out the scope rifle and the letterbombs. 2. Women denied access to safe, legal, free terminations will still abort babies. I realise I haven't said too much about the plot, but the plot isn't really what this film is about, and you'll enjoy the film even more if you don't know it in advance. Now go, watch!

RATING: 5

PROS: It's a Mike Leigh film, you just know it's going to be good.
CONS: Really bad tagline!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383694/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Does a great job of putting a human face on so-called "back alley" abortionists, but I must admit this would have more impact if it was a true story (though there are almost surely many true stories just like it). Imelda Staunton was very good, and Phil Davis as her husband gave a fine performance as well. A little slow to get started, and the mumbling accents got irritating, but otherwise a good movie. Rating: 3.5