Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
Directed by: Andy Tennant
Starring: Will Smith, Kevin James, Eva Mendes

Let me just begin by saying, I normally hate anything with Will Smith in it. He always plays the same part, and I simply don't enjoy the stereotypical cocky black man who has a punchline for everything. Even though his character in this movie wasn't any different, the subject matter of the movie made it seem less annoying. He wasn't some cocky soilder/cop/MIB but rather a cocky "Playa" which seems more appropriate.

The movie itself is quite funny. I thought that Kevin James was excellent in this movie. I know it was the same old "Haha, look at the white guy that can't dance", but I guess some things never get old.

Finally and probably most importantly, Eva Mendes is like a spicy, latino Jessica Simpson with a brain. The romance in this movie is the hate you to love you to hate you kind of thing found in so many modern romantic comedies, but she makes it all worth it. She added a bit of flare to the scenario that changed it up just enough to keep it fresh.

I'd have to say this movie is a must see for all the pussy-whipped goons that need something to go see with their significant others. It is leaps and bounds ahead of most chick flicks, like say Legally Blond. Accordingly, guys will enjoy this movie almost as much as their gals.

RATING: 4

PROS: Movie flowed well and humor was continuous
CONS: Nothing really stands out... was predictable but it didn't ruin the film or anything

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386588/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shotgun Jones
May 19, 2003

by Ozmaugh
Meh.

It had its moments (like Kevin James' character), and I had a few chuckles at it, but it was kinda predictable. "Love therapist" helps total loser get celebrity chick, while at the same time tries to maintian a relationship with someone he is in love with...you know the words, sing along!

3/5

Skillo
Aug 3, 2003
Jesus is coming! Quick, everyone look busy!
It made the ladie happy, made me laugh, and at the same time there was an excellent lack of Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts.

If you go expecting a typical chick movie, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, I don't think there was a single "Aww hell no" to be heard.

I give it a 4.5

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

Don't swear in front of your mother!
It's a chick flick for guys. Smith is still the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but it works. It made me laugh. Highly recommended for introverts.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There's two ways to approach this movie:

First, as a check flick that you wouldn't mind seeing. The movie succeeds in this area admirably, not being too cloying or sentimental and also having enough jokes that you don't fall asleep.

The second criteria though is harder; simply as a movie. Here I was less satisfied. Part of the problem was Will Smith; he is a cocky, smug bastard who always has everything go right (even when things went wrong for him they still went right). I at no point ever felt sympathy with him as a character, but didn't find him interesting enough to be a credible unsympathetic character. The same with Eva Mendes; she's mad at Will Smith so she decides to ruin two other blameless parties' relationship? That doesn't say 'true love' to me, it says 'cast iron bitch'.

I'll agree with everyone else though and say Kevin James is the best part of the movie. He is a credible 'stealth hunk' if that makes sense. He's fat, but you could almost see why a super-model would like him. The super model herself was kind of wooden, but hey, that's super-models for ya.

3/5 blended

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
The movie was funny through most parts, and Will Smith actually acted well, but the slow parts made me want to rip my eyes out with a spoon.

3.5/5

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This is a hideously bad romantic comedy. It is so bad, my then-girlfriend apologized to me for suggesting we see it. It is nothing but a collection of the most idiotic Hollywood chick flick cliches, blended with a gigantic wedge of cheese. The character of Hitch was just a smug rear end in a top hat, and the character played by Eva Mendes was an outright oval office. The dialogue was clinically retarded and the acting was mediocre. Kevin James was the only actor to do a decent job in this movie, and I hate his TV show "King of Queens."

Put simply, this movie is poo poo. 0.5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This movie has great dialogue. If this movie's plot was half as good as it's dialogue, it would be a 4/5 and up there with Notting Hill as one of my favorite romantic comedies (yeah, I said it.)

As it stands, the movie is just average. Great dialogue but a horribly conventional plot we've all seen before. 3/5.