Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
Starring: Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly

This was the second Hitchcock film I've seen and I found it to be much less entertaining than Vertigo (Unfair comparison, I realize, but still). My favorite part of the film probably was the gorgeous set. I wouldn't have expected to be kept mildly entertained throughout a film that was placed in a courtyard of an apartment complex in Greenwich Village but I was. Major kudos to the set designer. Also, typically nice camerawork from the master of suspense.

The voyeurism was an interesting concept to play with, but I think it could've been done better (perhaps with a more sinister edge). I had figured out what had happened half-way through the film and was just waiting to see how it unraveled. The ending was very cheesy and I would've preferred a darker conclusion.

The misogyny (or poor portrayal of women, at least) that is a staple of Hitchcock is here in droves in Grace Kelly's character. While it doesn't really detract from the film, I found myself laughing at just how subservient she was.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Sets, camerawork
CONS: Predictable, cheesy ending

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047396

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU