Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Well, it wasn't the travesty that I'd come to expect from weeks of anti-Hollywood nerd backlash, but ultimately it was a bit underwhelming. The production looks amazing (particularly the Hitchhiker's Guide animations) and a lot of the book's ideas are actualized in a satisfying way. The directors had the crappy task of having to adapt beloved characters to a marketable formula without pissing off the fanbase too much. As a movie, it's entertaining but deeply flawed. As an tribute to the source material, well, it just feels somehow inauthentic, like a sorority girl in an Iron Maiden t-shirt--cosmetically the same but stripped of meaning.

Bill Nighy's Slartibartfast stood out in my mind as the best performance. Zaphod was a huge disappointment--he sucked, totally obnoxious, unfunny and useless to the story. Marvin was pretty disappointing, and Arthur was dragged down by the contrived love subplot. Mos Def was pretty good.

About as good of an adaptation as can be expected. I'll give it three.

As an aside, did anybody see the trailer to Chicken Little that basically just tacked their bullshit tagline onto the Hitchhiker's Guide teaser? What a bunch of uncreative asswipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU