Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Directed by: Chan-Wook Park, Fruit Chan, Takeshi Miike
Starring: Lots of Asian Actors

The movie title set off all kinds of ideas in my head, I personally thought the Three... Extremes was not only referring to the fact the three short horror films contained within are from three "extreme" directors, but also three "extremes" of human nature.

In any case, I have to say what a refreshing film this was to enjoy. I am not the type to purposely seek out short films, but the style and presentation of these three films is just excellent.

The movie starts out with "The Box" from Takeshi Miike, Japan's j-horror and gory director with a cult following. I enjoyed this opening inmensely, it was spooky, mysterious, atmospheric, puzzling, and disturbing. All in 20 minutes. There are plenty of :wtf: moments, your mind will scramble through Miike's still shot type moments to grab clues in scenes as you race to piece this together that in the end he will slap you in the eye regardless.

While you're still dizzy and confused, the next short is Fruit Chan's utterly stomach wrenching "Dumplings", I liked this one the most for it's constant in your face drive, and if you buy or get your hands on the 2-disc release it is coupled with a 90 minute version with an alternate ending which I thought was a bit better. However, I would recommend you watch the longer one, THEN the shorter one if you are the type of person that likes to have more spelled out for them rather than leaving things to the imagination or loose.

Finally Chan-Wook Park's "Cut" finishes off the movie with 20 minutes of comedy and revenge that will leave you dumbfounded (I promise, all the forums and posts I've read have people guessing on this one). A horror director who is suddenly kidnapped and placed in his own horrorific situation of torture, sadism, and revenge. Interesting cinematography and art direction on this one I think.

Horror and j-horror fans should check this one out, while cerebral in some aspects I think this is a movie lots of people can have fun with.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Unique, original, Tales from the Darkside-ish, good movie to see with a group of friends.
CONS: Limited release at the moment, www.edaymovie.com, endings aren't spelled out for you

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420251/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU