Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clown Meadows
Jul 13, 2003

YARRRR! Where be the gray matter up in this piece, son?
Directed by: George A. Romero
Starring: Ken Foree, David Emge, Scott H. Reiniger, Gaylen Ross

Wow, I just got done watching the original Dawn of Dead and I felt the urge to post about my experience. This is the first time I've watched the original movie after seeing its remake and actually enjoy the original more.

From beginning to end, I found myself entertained.. Seeing the characters join up and view the carnage below them as they fly to the mall was interesting and I found myself being immersed more with the use of only 4 key characters as opposed to using a cast of about a dozen survivors.
I'm not sure how the acting compares to other horror movies of this era, but I found it to be top-notch, particularly that of Ken Foree as Peter, portraying the typical bad-rear end character but with a lot more intelligence and depth as opposed to just being full of brawn. In addition to this, for once I found myself sympathising with the survivors rather than being pissed off at the stupid things they did. I especially found myself depressed and then sitting on the edge of my seat as Peter chooses to stay and die, but then changes his mind and kicks zombie-rear end in an attempt to reach the chopper. God I was so pleased that he made it. On a similar note, I actually felt pissed off for the characters when they see the motorcycle gang turning up and wreaking havoc on their now-peaceful haven.

The action was well-done and I feel that the fact that they had to clear out the zombie-ridden mall first and then barricade it added a lot more to the movie and sense of doubt and chaos. While the gore wasn't quite as life-like as today's standards, it still looked brilliant.

In conclusion, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.. I mean, I enjoyed it enough to write a review of it. I think it's the sort of movie that you can enjoy, even if horror movies aren't particularly your thing. The action and horror blend so well that you aren't overwhelmed by either and the story is entertaining and flows well given its simple premise. As it states on imdb, it's the best horror film of its kind, even despite having a limited budget.

I give it a 5.5

And to make myself clear, Ken Foree is the man.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Brilliant Acting, great action and gore and a story that draws you in.
CONS: None that I can mention.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077402/

Clown Meadows fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 23, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo Tobogganinist
Mar 16, 2005

by Ozma
Amen. I like the remake but I feel the original is more chaotic in its approach. Ken Foree is indeed a badass...

The only down part to the movie is the varouis film bloopers I spotted my first view (but it was the 70's). Like the car blowing up. That is easily overlooked by the great story.

I always wondered what Peter and Francine did after the chopper took off. Civilization was done. Undead everywhere. I would of joined the bikers. But thats me.