Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Seth MacFarlane
Starring: Seth MacFarlane, Alex Borstein, Seth Green

Aside from the freedom to swear and get even more sexual than the TV show, The Untold Story is really just an extended episode of Family Guy. The credits even list writers for the different "parts" of the movie, although it is one continuous story -- it's pretty clear that they approached this just like a series of episodes, but loosely tied together.

The format (straight to video) allows for a decent amount of swearing and sexual jokes which are hilarious and fit in with the rest of the Family Guy humor.

Some of the other humor seems a bit dated, and it's obvious it was produced prior to the show coming back on the air, since they make quite a few jokes regarding their cancellation. The style of the movie is more in line with the earlier seasons than the new season, in that the cutaway jokes are less frequent and the plot is more important.

Of course this varies person-to-person, but for me quite a few of the cutaway jokes -- more than usual -- went right over my head because I wasn't familiar with the person they were making fun of. Also, I think after you've been watching for over an hour, you get a bit worn out on the Family Guy style of humor, and the last 10/15 minutes were kind of a drag.

Still, those are pretty minor, and this movie is basically just a really good (not great) 80 minute episode with swearing. It's not on the same level as South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, which I was sort of hoping it would be, but it's definitely worth seeing if you've ever enjoyed Family Guy.

RATING: 4.0

PROS: Like a longer episode of the show
CONS: Like a longer episode of the show

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385690/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Not too bad, though you really ought to be a big fan of the show. Casual fans need not apply. Seemed to be an inordinate amount of racial humor. Maybe that's still considered edgy, I dunno, I'm old. It just made me squirm in my seat.

3/5

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I found they used far less random cutaways than a usual episode does, which was interesting.

I also almost vomited laughing at some parts.

This is heavily worth watching. It doesn't lose pace or drop the ball in any parts, at worst, you'll be mildly chuckling the entire way through. Adam West has his best line that I've heard, ever, Stewie and Brian have, as always, absolutely magical chemistry and it's always good to see sci-fi themes show up.

RATING: 4.5

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Like the OP said, it's 80+ minute "R-rated" TV episode. I'm disappointed in some aspects, but being a big fan for a long time, I was happy with how it turned out. You will tend to forget it's not a TV episode and the swears are a lot more funny then.

4.0/5.0

Ollie the weatherman breif appearance was my favorite part.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

As a moderate family guy fan, I think I laughed twice at the entire thing. Small laughs. Really not very good at all.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I thought it was pretty funny, but there are some episodes that are definitely better. They did a very good job stretching a 20-25min tv show into 90min by basically making 3 "acts" but all centered around a main plot.

I thought the Ferris Bueller spoof at the end was as funny as ANYTHING I've seen on any of the tv episodes.

RabidLeper
Oct 27, 2002
____|\__\o/__ AAH! SHARK
I enjoyed the film a great deal. Much of the recent criticism for Family Guy has been that the series has deteriorated into a pop culture sketch show. This really isn't the case for the film, as the majority of the elements are timeless(i.e. not throwing in random 80's cultural icons in an attempt to be funny).

I feel the film has earned a 4.5 easily.

I'd just like to remind you jerks that this won't be the thread to discuss any leaks, and I'll be re-sticking again when the retail DVD is released. Purchase the drat film you gays, they deserve it.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
Just watched this tonight and thought it was pretty decent. All in all, I'd say I enjoy an average episode of Family Guy more than the movie, but considering how good an average Family Guy episode is, this still gets a decent rating in my buy. Certainly worth a purchase if you're a fan of the series.

Fedaykin
Mar 24, 2004
Was like watching a bad episode that was way too long. I can hardly remember any hilarious or noteworthy scenes after just watching the movie yesterday.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!

quote:

Fedaykin came out of the closet to say:
I can hardly remember any hilarious or noteworthy scenes after just watching the movie yesterday.

Turns out that Jesus's abilities were somewhat exaggerated

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dickie Crickets
May 13, 2004

I almost hate to say this, because the "it's not as good as it used to be!" fan attitude that's followed the show's entire run really annoys me, but I think the movie had the kind of sharp writing that's been missing from this latest season. Olhado's assessment that the movie follows the plot-oriented model of earlier seasons is pretty accurate.

It had me laughing for all 90 minutes, but I don't think the DVD will stand up to repeated viewings. It kind of fits into an in-between area, where it's too long to be re-watched like a regular episode, but also lacks enough content to be re-watched like a "movie" movie.

Rated 4

-jp-
Jan 15, 2004

Hero Of Time (Retired)
I really enjoyed this. It was up to standard as far as I am concerend and I will watch it over and over again. If you like Family Guy, you will like this.

Square
Feb 27, 2005

by Fistgrrl

quote:

Olhado came out of the closet to say:
PROS: Like a longer episode of the show
CONS: Like a longer episode of the show

That's basically my take on this.

mickey
May 22, 2005

by elpintogrande
I watched this a few minutes ago, and thought it was absolutely great. The end of it turned out being a little longer than I would of liked, but other than that it was just hilarious.

The freedom to do pretty much whatever they wanted was welcome, too. Hearing them say "gently caress" was strangely satisfying.

I give it a 4.5/5

edit: and I obviously plan to buy the thing.

Kaiju
Mar 19, 2003

HEINEKEN!?! FUCK THAT SHIT! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!
I gave it 3/5 mostly because I think the show has a hard time floating at feature lengths. Each "part" is disjointed and the Stewie story is just kind of dumb. The last third, which is all Stewie has it's moments, but it loses steam very quickly.

The wrap around jokes were funny, but there were two occasions when they reused gags from earlier in the episode. Two Indiana Jones references? Was that necessary? The Thundercats bit and then the Superman/Wonder Woman bits were also suspiciously similar. The intermission and then post-premier wrap up at the end were also completely unnecessary and seemed as if they were just trying to flesh it out enough to get it close to 90 minutes.

I laughed. I always do. But this just seemed like a lazy effort.

Lemuel Fawnsley
Jan 8, 2004
I laughed hard two or three times. I chuckled throughout the rest of it. As others have said, it's a long episode. I was hoping it would be more like the South Park movie, where the plot is the main focus, but only one of three segments really seemed to focus on any real plot. A lot of the one-joke characters from throughout the seasons were brought back, but considering that the movie was made when the show wasn't coming back, it's forgivable to throw out a little fan service.

4/5

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I thought it was very funny and the pacing problems in the new season don't seem to exist. Annoyingly enough, Fox lifted quite a few scenes for commercials for the new season of FG, though they actually came from this movie. Weird.

There is a rear end ton of fan service, which I understand considering this was written/produced before the new season. It actually manages to do it ten times better than the new episodes.

This would have been a great last episode for the series: just as the above have said, it is like an extended season 3 episode. Some people didn't like season three, so judge that for yourself.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Pretty forgettable movie. I occasionally watch Family Guy and think that it's an alright show, but I hardly remember anything from this movie and I watched it last night. It had a few good moments, but they were few and far between.

If you like the show a lot, you'll probably like it. But otherwise I'd say to skip it.

2.5/5

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

This basically felt like watching three mediocre episodes of Family Guy in one go (yes I know everybody else has already pointed this out.) There are some funny parts, but watching Family Guy for 80 minutes instead of 20 minutes shows how thinly the format spreads. Unlike the South Park movie, which embraced the movie format with singing, special effects and a ton of swearing and bad taste, Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story does barely nothing that distinguishes it from regular Family Guy episodes, apart from some half hearted swearing. Worth a watch if you're a Family Guy fan but overall a missed opportunity.

2.5/5

BobbyHorsepower
Oct 23, 2004
Stupid newbies need the most attention.
This flick starts off really solid for the first 20 to 30 minutes. After that's all over, you can start to tell that somebody else started writing it, and it takes a big dive quality wise. It recovers briefly for the odd flashback gag, but never fully returns to form.

By the time it's done, you don't even really care. It has a few funny moments, but they're not evenly distributed and having 3 different writers write 3 different acts makes the whole thing come off feeling muddled. I think the biggest problem this movie had was that it never really embraced the movie format. Instead of creating a more epic storyline or taking advantage of a bigger budget, they took 3 regular episodes and crammed them together to create somewhat of a mess.

All in all, this flick is pretty forgettable. You'll laugh here and there, but I doubt you'll ever feel the need to watch it again.

PROS:
- Like one long Family Guy episode
- First 30 to 35 minutes are very solid
- At the end there's a great spoof of the final scene of Ferris Bueller's Day Off which I thought was hilarious and done really well
- Lots of throwaway gags and inside jokes for bigger fans of the show

CONS:
- Like one long mediocre Family Guy episode
- Everything past the first 30 to 35 minutes is pretty boring and only sometimes funny
- The whole thing is ultimately forgettable and only for really big fans of the show

OVERALL:

It's worth watching once if you like the show. But anything after that is useless.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Cracked up throughout the entire thing. Not an amazing film, per se, but 90 solid minutes of laughter.

4/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
It's basically a big salute to the fans, and less the casual ones than the FIRETRUCK OUT OF loving NOWHERE types who spend most of their time either quoting the show or correcting other people's slight misquotes. I really detest the callbacks and the "gently caress" overusage, and Steve Callaghan's Part 3 sucks rear end. Otherwise it's more "classic" FG than the new episodes are and would have served as a good swan song for the series had it not been brought back.

Frink
Jun 17, 2005

Like many others have said in this thread, it's like a longer episode of Family Guy,
and that's both a pro and a con. Personally I liked the episodes better, because it
seemed that they had problems filling the movie, so there were a lot of boring parts.

The numerous movie-spoofs were awsome, and like the episodes it had it's crazy moments.

3.5/5

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Just saw this. Yeah, it's a long decent episode of Family Guy.

I personally liked it. Ultimately forgettable but certainly entertaining and worth watching/owning if you're a Family Guy fan.

3.5/5

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

This seemed to me much worse than the TV show. I don't know if the fact that I had to endure the characters for longer than usual or what, but they all seemed much more obnoxious. There were many jokes that weren't funny, and they in general seemed much less intelligent than the usual ones on the show. I certainly wouldn't recommend this as something for someone's first Family Guy viewing experience, but a regular fan of the show would get a little enjoymant out of watching it.

2.5/5

Henaki
Dec 2, 2003

by Ozma
Very funny, the beginning and ending were HORRIBLE minus a couple jokes. There were scenes that had me unable to breathe for a moment. Just a very fun to watch movie that's... uh, Family Guy.

4/5

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

For me, every Family guy episode has given me at least one big loud laugh. Good episodes are 3-4 laughs. Sadly, the movie only gave me two. Saying it's like one long episode is dead-on; though it felt stretched out to 90 minutes and could have been done in a two-parter. Overall though, it was enjoyable and I've watched it twice. It never slows down and keeps a steady speed throughout the movie, and it's worth watching at least once. Though, don't expect anything special.

Overall: 3.5/5

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I think I felt the exact same way everyone else did when this movie was announced. A TV show with strict (well, somewhat strict) limits as to what could be said on air, would turn into a non-stop "gently caress" fest. It was actually kept about as clean as the TV show, with the amount of "bad" words easily counted on your fingers. Unfortunatly, since the movie lacks any humor at all, hearing "gently caress" and "poo poo" every other word might have made it funny.

Pros: Did not turn into "South Park: Bigger Longer and Uncut"
Cons: Not funny.

1.5/5

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I honestly feel that writing up big reviews for comedy is generally a wasted excercise, because you either find it funny, or you dont.

I will say that the openning/ending sequence is rather dumb, but everything in between is very funny. It reminds me more of the early family guy as opposed to the later films. I watched it with a group of friends (I cant stress with enough, comedy is not meant to be viewed by yourself) and all of us were laughing. I will also add that most of us have been less than pleased with the new family guys.

4/5

Very funny, not filmmaking history.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
The movie isn't really much of a movie at all, like others have said. It's an elongated episode, which is good. It is funny, and has that family guy-esque tendendancy to be all over the place. But there are certain things that bother me. It's like Seth went "Oh hey, I can curse!" All the cursing seems tacked on (I think gently caress was only said twice both times by Lois and boy was it cringeworthy), and feels very awkward and out of place. If the movie had no cursing I feel it would have been a better movie.

Remember though, this is straight to video movie for a reason. 4.0

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

just popping in to say it was directed by Pete Michels and Peter Shin, not Seth MacFarlane

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I have mixed feelings about The Untold Story. I liked it alright, but I didn't like the heavy cursing. "gently caress" just doesn't belong in Family Guy.

4/5.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I Normally love family Guy, Ive laughed at every episode from season 1-3 and from what Ive seen of the new series its just getting funnier. This movie however was a huge dissappointment for me, I was so psyched to have it, invited a bunch of friends over and watched it together, and we laughed maybe 4 or 5 times, but only a chuckle.

I think it was a waste of time to watch, and was pretty disappointed.

2/5

AngryTurtle
Sep 18, 2004

Freude am Fahren
I'd only reccomend this movie for die-hard fans of the series. While I'd consider myself a fan of it, I was let down by it. The first part wasn't so bad, but it seemed to slowly progress in a downward spiral towards the end. There were a few laughs to be had, but overall I'll agree with what most people have said in this thread. It simply seemed to be a mediocre episode of Family Guy stretched out too long. Granted, I would have probably enjoyed it a lot more if it were released before the new series.

I found it to be very "average", and rated it accordingly.

3/5

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I liked it when I first saw it, but over time the quality has deteriorated. It starts out slow, the middle is sort of good, but the end just takes a giant nosedive into mediocrity.

Oh WOW, they SWORE. They're so EDGY and IN MY FACE.

2/5.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Family Guy might be my favorite TV show (coming from a guy who doesn't really watch TV). I thought the movie was awful. The show usually has me rolling with laughter but the movie was lame and unfunny for the most part. the swearing felt forced and other stuff put in for shock value that was just lame and unfunny like Meg's new "lifestyle". overall it was one of the worst episodes of Family Guy I have ever seen, it was only made worse by the fact that it was an hour and a half long.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
Movie was pretty good, there was a place towards the end though, for about 20 minutes, I did not laugh a single time (and actually got bored of it, i kept thinking they were setting up for a huge joke but nothing happens). Because it's a longer episode, the fast paced humor gets drawn out waaaay to much, and thats what makes Family Guy so funny. The swearing just made the entire movie akward to, there was no reason to have it in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
I enjoyed this, even if it was subpar to the tv series. Made me laugh more than some comedies today.

4/5