Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orbital Lance
May 16, 2005

by Livestock
Directed by: Craig Brewer
Starring: Terrence Howard, Anthony Anderson, Ludacris, Taryn Manning

Director – Craig Brewer
Starring – Terrence Howard, Anthony Anderson, Ludacris, Taryn Manning

Synopsis: – A pimp struggles to make something more of his life in Memphis, Tennessee by becoming a famous rapper with the help of the whores he pimps and an old friend from high school.

Review: This movie is much better than I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be like all the other rapper movies I’ve seen, but it was a really good movie instead of a really good rap movie. The story was good and the acting was much better than I thought it would be, especially Terrence Howard as the pimp and wannabe rapper. Even though the character is just total slime and depicted as such in a lot of scenes, you are still hoping he succeeds in the end.
The movie starts off with our antihero, D Jay, pimping a hoe for “20 in the front, 40 in the back” while discussing his ideas about what makes a man. It becomes clear this is no ordinary pimp.
The movie is also hilarious during numerous moments. Its comedy is really well written instead of seeming forced. The songs Dee Jay records during the movie are also great. I was actually laughing and enjoying them during the movie

I feel I better go ahead and make a disclaimer. I am huge fan of “rap” movies. Movies either about rap or movies starring rappers are just awesome as far as I am concerned. Out of all the rap based movies I’ve seen, this one edges out Choices 2 as the best one. So I’ll give it a 5 since it is the best movie I’ve seen from my favorite sub-genre (if you want to call it that). I could see how a lot of people here wouldn’t like it, so if you have a hatred to rap you probably will not enjoy it as much. Honestly, even if you don’t like rap you could still love this movie, but you might not.

Rating 5 If you hate rap with a passion you might not like this movie though, so maybe drop it a point.

RATING: 5

PROS: Great soundtrack, lead actor, and story
CONS: Lots of people don't like rap, so I guess that for them?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0410097/board/nest/22658833

edit

some reviews from people who aren't rap fans/fans of this sub-genre would be great to balance out my obviously biased review

Orbital Lance fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 27, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Well, I'm not exactly a fan of the genre, though I'll admit a guilty fondness for rap.

As Orbital Lance said, this is a great movie, not just a decent rap movie. To put it into annoying rap parlance, it Keeps it Real, depicting the characters and situation in an unflinching manner, showing their flaws, ugliness, and downfalls, but without turning them into unlikeable people.

The plot is pretty easy to recognise and figure out, being the usual "underdog seeking fame" tale, but it never feels too unrealistic; the characters solve problems in ways consistent with their identities, and even the old plot looks pretty good in its new clothes.

Dialogue and acting are both superb, and the actors really come across as ghetto and po', rather than gimmicky. Nola, the po white trash whore, was particularly impressive to me.

The songs are catchy as all hell, so expect to leave the theatre singing, "Y'know it's hard out here for a pimp, when he's trinna make the money for the rent."

Rating: 5

Pros: Very, very well-done movie
Cons: If you don't like rap, you probably won't like it.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I agree basically with everything said previously, but would like to add how awesome Ludacris was in this movie. Basically lampooning himself, he plays a rich rapper that's out of touch with the desperation that got him rich.

Two performances that really stick out for the opposite reasons are the two white people in the movie. Taryn Manning's character reminds me of many of the girls I grew up around in the "white trash" areas of Louisville. A performance like that just can't be faked. DJ Qualls on the other hand is horrible. A lot is to blame on the script, but he comes off as...really loving white.

"Guys guys, let's not fight...can't we just smoke a joint?" He's conjuring Seth Green's character in Can't Hardly Wait, except in an unintentionally embarrassing way.

Still, he's the only real weak part of the movie, and thus the movie is quite awesome.

4/5

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I went in expecting a stupid 8 Mile clone, but I was really really surprised at how good it was! The end of the movie, when the cops give DJay a tape really got to me because, as a person in a band that's received a taste of acclaim and success, I know how it feels to have people come up to you giving you demos. Also the scene when DJay finds the tape in the toilet and then goes postal really really got to me, solely because it was so well-played by Terrance Howard, and his emotion really just exhuded from him.

5/5

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I finally got to watching this after reading FilmDump's reviews.

To make a new point, the setting for this movie is astounding. Sometimes when I watch movies based in a "ghetto" it still feels too polished. The characters always look well dressed or the house is too nice or there aren't enough roaches to make my skin crawl. Hustle and Flow got it right. DeeJay drives a dumpy old car with discolored panels, wears cheap clothing, lives in a southern ghetto neighborhood where even the grass seems filthy, his hoes are three shades of ugly, and so on.

Some friends spoiled the movie for themselves by purchasing and listening to the soundtrack before they watched the movie. I'm glad I didn't do that. The production of the tracks featured in the movie are stories in and of themselves.

4.5 For a standard "musician out of luck takes a chance" story, this was amazing. Advisory for those that can't tolerate rap or hip hop.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This is the best "music" movie I've ever seen.

5/5

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am not a big rap fan, but I loved this movie. I love how raw this movie felt. Much better than 8 Mile. Terrance Howard is amazing. In my top 5 of 2005.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally got to see this recently. No complaints from me, movie had me in its grip from start to finish. Definately had plenty of drama, and comedy. :dramabomb:
As previously stated by the OP, the songs the main character makes are actually pretty catchy.

Bad Lieutenant
Jan 4, 2004

oh my is nothing sacred
As someone who lives in Memphis I'm required to dig this movie but good thing it's great anyway. When DJay first starts rhyming it's powerful. Whoop that trick :fuckoff:

5/5

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Just finished watching this movie and all I can say is WOW. Terrence Howard is a phenomenal actor and his performance felt really authentic. Not even DJ Qualls could ruin this movie.

carbon-14
Sep 26, 2005
The main charecter is brilliantly acted it's true, but there is no getting around the fact that this movie is undeniably unpleasant. The women in his life are presented as being good or bad solely on wheter or not they actually like him, regardless of the fact that he is there pimp, not usually a role the engenders affection. Coupling that with the simple lack of real warmth to this movie and you'll either love for it for his acrting, or hate for everything else. Take or leave, i liked it in spite of myself.

3.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Casanova
Jul 3, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Howard's performance is incredible. They should have given Qualls character to someone who could have done it without making it seem so gimmicky.

Even if you are not a fan of rap you should see this movie; Howard should have won Best Actor for this.

Jerry Casanova fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 18, 2006