Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yersi
Dec 21, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Directed by: Gregory Widen
Starring: Cristopher Walken, Elias Koteas, Eric Stoltz, Viggo Mortensen

When my friend invited me over to see this film, I was dead sure I'd heard this mentioned in the same breath as "Sin Eater", "Wishmaster" and other stuff you see frequently in video stores. "No", he assured me, "the Prophecy is a great film!". We were eating some pretty good crustaceans that evening, so at least I got some enjoyment out of it, for lord knows this movie sucked balls.

The Prophecy is a movie that must barely have worked on paper, because the plot makes no logical sense on screen: characters just seem to do things without a logical connection from A to B, events just seem to happen. Its relentlessly boring story has something to do with a second war in heaven in which angels are involved. One of these, Simon (Eric Stoltz) is on the good side and has consumed a dark soul of a warrior (from a general of some kind), another (Gabriel, played by Cristopher Walken) is evil and wishes to use this soul for evil purposes. I'm at loss of how to describe just what happened here.. at one point, there's a girl involved, and Simon transfers the soul to her. She's like the unholy grail of child actors, even more terrible than the kids in Mimic, which is really saying something. Then Viggo Mortensen appears and eats some flowers. :confused: Oh, and let's not forget funny-man Elias Koteas as a hardboiled catholic priest/police officer. That's some great casting right there, folks.

Walken is entertaining and a terrific bad guy, and he saves the movie from becoming the worst religiously themed movie ever made. Now it stands as just one of the worst religiously themed movies ever made. Great!

RATING: 1.5

PROS: Ha ha ha! It's Cristopher Walken!, some good lighting
CONS: Mismatched jumble of plotlines and mythology, poor implementation of music, 90's DTV aesthetics, laughable acting

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114194/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU