Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkLoudPaul
Aug 8, 2004

Bo knows Auburn Football
This feels like a stupid question, and I don't know how easy it is to answer.

How many SNGs should you look at before you can rely on what your ROI says? For example, I play mainly $10+$1 Full Tilt SNGs. I like them because I feel like it plays to my style of poker. At the end of last week I started calculating my ROI for these SNGs (because I realized I'd never really done that before and was curious if they where as profitable as I thought they were). After a bad beginning (9 SNGs 2 cashes that were both 3rd place), I started to pick up some steam and have now put in 18 and my ROI is 32%. I think it is probably a little higher than it should be, but I am not sure how many SNGs I should wait before I decide that the ROI I'm getting is as accurate as possible. 50? 100?

(Now for my emotional bs) Thanks for the information guys. This forum has really helped me focus my mind a lot more when I'm playing and has helped me become a much more patient player. I used to get to points where I'd get frustrated and play bad poker, and now I have gotten it under control and it really helps my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artard
Sep 11, 2001

DrunkLoudPaul posted:

This feels like a stupid question, and I don't know how easy it is to answer.

How many SNGs should you look at before you can rely on what your ROI says? For example, I play mainly $10+$1 Full Tilt SNGs. I like them because I feel like it plays to my style of poker. At the end of last week I started calculating my ROI for these SNGs (because I realized I'd never really done that before and was curious if they where as profitable as I thought they were). After a bad beginning (9 SNGs 2 cashes that were both 3rd place), I started to pick up some steam and have now put in 18 and my ROI is 32%. I think it is probably a little higher than it should be, but I am not sure how many SNGs I should wait before I decide that the ROI I'm getting is as accurate as possible. 50? 100?

As a winning player you can have negative or break even streaks that last 100 games or longer so don't start taking your calculated ROI seriously until it starts to stabilize after at least 500-1000 games. You sound like you're running a little hot but ROIs over 25% are definitely sustainable at $11s.

DrunkLoudPaul
Aug 8, 2004

Bo knows Auburn Football
Thanks artard. I figured it was a bunch. I'm gonna keep plugging away and updating my spreadsheet so when I get enough in it I can see where I really am. I should've started keeping these kinds of records from the beginning.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Am I right in thinking that Pokerstars is pretty hard? How does stars 0.25/0.50 compare to Party 0.50/1.00?

Mashed Yeast
Nov 17, 2004

I've been searching through the threads, but I just can't find an answer. I want to jump on the Multipoker bonuses, but I already have party installed. Is it possible to have more than one skin installed on your computer, and how do I do this? Thanks!

stinkyied
Sep 3, 2004
How to get accounts on multiple party skins:

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=2026981&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=#Post2026981

(Easiest to just install from a clean computer, however).

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

Am I right in thinking that Pokerstars is pretty hard? How does stars 0.25/0.50 compare to Party 0.50/1.00?

i found them to be marginally harder than any of the typically 'easy' sites to play on. It's profitable, but you have to give people a lot more credit for hands than you would probably do the majority of the time at smaller stakes since they're going typically play more of a tight game on stars. At least that was my experience with $25NL and $50NL.

Apocalypso
Oct 31, 2004

HELP ME MIKE
What bankroll is needed for 5 card draw, and how many buyins for HU hold'em SNGs?

Pourquoi
Apr 17, 2004
why?
CARD SHUFFLER

Yeah well my brother wants a card shuffler

i looked on ebay for stuff but it seem all crappy..

anyone know if this kind of shuffler is any good ??

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CASTLE-CLASSICS-AUTO-CARD-SHUFFLER-BLACK_W0QQitemZ6217267479QQcategoryZ573QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AUTOMATIC-CARD-SHUFFLER-up-to-3-decks-at-a-time_W0QQitemZ6215526741QQcategoryZ63748QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks..

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Apocalypso posted:

What bankroll is needed for 5 card draw, and how many buyins for HU hold'em SNGs?

300 BB for 5 Card Draw, assuming you are a winning player at it. It doesn't really change based on the game.

Doctor Jokie
Mar 28, 2003

The guy can't even spell poker.
What's a typical withdrawl time for Fortune Poker? I submitted a withdrawl request on Thursday evening PST (approx 72 hours ago) and haven't seen anything since. Is it typical to not see money cashed out over the US weekend?

TDT2005
Jul 25, 2004
3rd place in SA Poker Tourney II
What percentage do they take when you win the world series of poker?

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

jokie189 posted:

What's a typical withdrawl time for Fortune Poker? I submitted a withdrawl request on Thursday evening PST (approx 72 hours ago) and haven't seen anything since. Is it typical to not see money cashed out over the US weekend?

Usually 1-2 business day. So should get it Monday.

FunkyMunkey
Sep 8, 2004
What it is
After playing the five-max tables on PokerRoom I noticed that PT just lists the hands under 1/2 full and not under the 1/2 6-max. Is there anyway to get PT to sort these hands differently from full ring on future hands?

Thanks for any help

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I started 4 tabling .50/1.00 Limit on Party poker. I pick the tables based on avg. pot, and I make sure there's alot of stacks under $25 because I assume they are losing players. After 2 hours I was even on two tables, and up 25 each on the other two. Should I quit the two tables I'm even on and look for new ones? Or is this just typical results of 4 tabling?

Yomofo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 19, 2005

FunkyMunkey
Sep 8, 2004
What it is

Yomofo posted:

I started 4 tabling .50/1.00 Limit on Party poker. I pick the tables based on avg. pot, and I make sure there's alot of stacks under $25 because I assume they are losing players. After 2 hours I was even on two tables, and up 25 each on the other two. Should I quit the two tables I'm even on and look for new ones? Or is this just typical results of 4 tabling?

You shouldn't quit the table because your up or down, quit it if its a rock garden or your seat selection is off, not because you didn't hit a good run of cards at that table. Also people w/ stacks less then 25BB doesnt necessarily mean they are bad players. You should load PokerTracker and look for VPIP and sit after the loose maniacs and let the rocks act after you. A high VPIP ussually indicates a good table at .5/1

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yomofo posted:

If someone has under 12 BB (12 dollars on a .5/1) table, that is a sign they are a bad player.

DTMTCM
Feb 18, 2005
I misclicked post icon so I have this account now.

Yomofo posted:

The VPIP should be a good indicator of which tables you should be playing. I've dumped 40BBs at a .50/1 table, but the VPIP was a steady 45% (though if tilt catches up with you, you know what to call it a day).

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration
Is there any particular reason why every limit but 2/4 on Party is primarily 6-max tables?

albedoa
May 3, 2004

freehat posted:

Is there any particular reason why every limit but 2/4 on Party is primarily 6-max tables?

Woah, that is a drat good question that I've been asking myself but nobody else. I am curious to know the answer as well.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

freehat posted:

More hands + plus more wild players = higher revenue for Party. I'd take a guess that whatever formula Party uses for its 6max to full table ratio says they're reaching their rake goals per full 2/4 table and less so on their other full ring games. Thus, more 6max tables.

But then again, I don't know for sure.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ

TDT2005 posted:

What percentage do they take when you win the world series of poker?

Does who take? The gubment? Harrah's? Last time I won the WSOP I was able to sneak out the back door with my money and nobody asked me for any. :rolleye:

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration
Also, why do the 10-person games at Party tend to just explode and die spontaneously, with half the table ending up not leaving, but sitting out? Should I be playing the 6-max tables or something?

Treylis
Jul 8, 2004

As an American, I realize that my primary advantage lies in being as well-armed as possible at all times.

freehat posted:

Also, why do the 10-person games at Party tend to just explode and die spontaneously, with half the table ending up not leaving, but sitting out? Should I be playing the 6-max tables or something?

I love it when that happens, use it to smash people who don't know how to play shorthanded and you'll make money.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

freehat posted:

It's just that you've seen a lot of them break up quickly in a short period of time, it doesn't happen more often than at a 6 Max table.

But as has been stated it is a great way to destroy loose passives short handed.

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration

MassRayPer posted:

It's just that you've seen a lot of them break up quickly in a short period of time, it doesn't happen more often than at a 6 Max table.

But as has been stated it is a great way to destroy loose passives short handed.

Someone mentioned in another thread there were various internet problems yesterday, which would explain everything. And I rarely play shorthanded so I don't really know how to adjust :(

Mac84
Dec 9, 2002
bub is my sexual chocolate
how do you get the suit to show up when your posting a hand instead of using :siren: and :cthulhu: etc.. to express the suit of the card.

DTMTCM
Feb 18, 2005
I misclicked post icon so I have this account now.
:h: :s: :d: :c:
That's how.

Just put h, s, d, or c between two colons.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
This isn't really a stupid question, but it doesn't deserve its own thread.

I'm about to start playing on Fortune, which is on the same network as SportingBet, and I am wondering which games are the juciest there. I have been a winning player on Party at 10+1 and 20+2 NLHE SNGs, hold 'em up to 1/2 (about to start mixing in some 2/4 though, we'll see how that goes), and O8 up to 2/4. Any advice about where to start on Fortune?

I'm also in the process of learning to play stud and stud/8, if anyone has any Fortune advice on those fronts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sub Par posted:

I'm about to start playing on Fortune, which is on the same network as SportingBet, and I am wondering which games are the juciest there. I have been a winning player on Party at 10+1 and 20+2 NLHE SNGs, hold 'em up to 1/2 (about to start mixing in some 2/4 though, we'll see how that goes), and O8 up to 2/4. Any advice about where to start on Fortune?

I'm also in the process of learning to play stud and stud/8, if anyone has any Fortune advice on those fronts.

Any shorthanded game on the network is gold. NLHE full ring is insanely juicy, as is limit at 1/2 and 2/4 (and higher, but games aren't always availible.)

The SNGs are also really really soft.

Scotsman
Jun 9, 2002

Sub Par posted:

MassRayPer pretty much covered it, but to sum it up prety much every game on there, regardless of limit, is incredibly soft.

As for Stud, they don't have Stud/8 there, only Stud Hi.....and it's the fishest game I've ever seen. However due to this, it means some really high variance. 50-100BB swings in an hour are not uncommon, hell I've won 300BB in an hour there, and lost 50BB in about 5 hands.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I've only just started playing (due to the Ask/Tell thread) and am playing microlimit tables at Pokerstars and am having a blast. Even though I don't really know what I'm doing yet I'm amazed how many people there *really* don't know what they're doing. Almost to the extent where I think I'm more likely to be learning bad habits than good.

I have a couple of questions.... I assume this is the best place, although would there be any merit in starting an absolute beginner thread? As well as questions, I wouldn't mind talking to others who are only just starting (if anyone).

I've noticed there is a hell of a lot of checking on these tables. Is this normal or is it just more to do with people playing for fun (or being fishy) and wanting to see the next card without paying for it?

In general I just can't really see any merit to checking as it seems to give way too much away about what's in your hand. I've been really watching people who check and found I can use that a lot to my advantage. Because of rhis I've been avoiding it myself and tend to either fold or bet.

Is this just a low level/low stake thing? Or is there something about checking I'm missing.

This is probably all in the beginner books, but mine is still incoming from Amazon!

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 24, 2005

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration

Hello Pity posted:

I've only just started playing (due to the Ask/Tell thread)

I only started playing a month ago and have turned $90 into $820 just through signup bonuses and decent play (even while finishing in the red at a couple fishy sites). I still have a few sites left to do, but I was planning on writing up a guide some time for new players to follow for easy bankroll building. Until then, feel free to IM me or something similar.

dumbhand
Nov 5, 2004

WATCH OUT!

Hello Pity posted:

In general I just can't really see any merit to checking... I've been avoiding it myself and tend to either fold or bet.

This is a very good start to understanding poker.

https://www.ultimatepokerbankroll.com can help you build your roll (goon owned and operated)

Check the FAQ for basics and read up, and don't hesitate to ask anything in the forums.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Some rear end just said, "All in" and disconnected so that he wouldn't have to decide. Support says that his punishment is not getting another all in for a whopping 24 hours. This is on Fortune. Should I follow up in email or is there nothing they do against this sort of cheating?

OMG LOL BUTSEKZ
Dec 2, 2003

no butsekz plz.
Is there a way of getting rid of that stupid side bet thing on party poker?

Regional Shooter
Aug 27, 2002

OMG LOL BUTSEKZ posted:

Is there a way of getting rid of that stupid side bet thing on party poker?

This thread has all the information you need... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1700229

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I've been bonus whoring for about two months and getting a little burnt out on limit, so I was thinking about trying my luck at multi-table tourneys. I'm interested in the $xxx guaranteed ones because they seem like a pretty good deal. On Party poker the number of players registered are usually in the hundreds, sometimes thousands, but when I go to a site like Empire Poker, I see games like "$2k Guaranteed" $25 buy in with only about 50 people registered.
Would it be more profitable in the long run to try tourneys with a lot of people, hence, more fish and easier money? Or, would these guaranteed tourneys on smaller sites be easier to beat with the low amount of people playing? Also, if you play any MTT tourneys on a regular basis, what site(s) do you play on?
Thanks in advance.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Scotsman posted:

MassRayPer pretty much covered it, but to sum it up prety much every game on there, regardless of limit, is incredibly soft.

As for Stud, they don't have Stud/8 there, only Stud Hi.....and it's the fishest game I've ever seen. However due to this, it means some really high variance. 50-100BB swings in an hour are not uncommon, hell I've won 300BB in an hour there, and lost 50BB in about 5 hands.
Speaking of fortune poker, I tried signing up the other day and it said I was maxed out on my available accounts. Is there a way around this?

Edit: Reading the announcement it says email you, what do I have to give you to release the block?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

I've been wondering this for awhile... when playing in a home game SNG, how do you keep track of how much is in the pot? I can't figure out my pot odds, etc if I don't even know how much is at stake.

• Locked thread