Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

Directed by: Gore Verbinski
Starring: Nicholas Cage, Michael Caine

Its a shame that the marketing campaign is making this look like a big time comedy. With numerous shots of Nicholas Cage getting pelted with shakes and sodas, and a goofy edited sequence where his wife reminds him not to forget tartar sauce to the point where it becomes fate that he does, many folks in the crowd clearly thought this was going to be a laugh packed affair from start to finish.

The Weatherman is dark. There are laughs, but the laughs are largely uncomfortable laughs that make you feel guilty for doing so. Its an incredibly well done film with serious dramatic scenes that are likely to give both Nicholas Cage and Michael Caine Oscar nominations. The script is smart and Gore Verbinksi's direction is brooding and understated.

I think this is Cage's best work since Leaving Las Vegas. As tortured Weatherman David Spritz, who's trying to jump start his career, parental role, failed marriage, and the relationship with his father, Cage is perfectly cast. And though Michael Caine seems to be in 800 movies per year, his performance in this film as Cage's seemingly perfect father is outstanding.

Most of the folks I talked to in the theater afterward did not like this movie at all. The woman running the publicity for it said she hated it as well, so take my opinion for what is worth. If you like dark comedy dramas, and like Nicholas Cage, though, I think you'll find it a pretty deep, meaningful, and entertaining film.

RATING: 4

PROS: Nicholas Cage is great
CONS: a bit quirky and slow for people that don't have the patience for such a film

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384680/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
This is the best movie I have seen in a long time. The theatre I saw it in was pretty crowded and people laughed a lot. It is very funny, but in a dark sort of way. The dialouge is very realistic and so are the children. If you have seen the trailer, you've basically seen the movie though. There really is no big plot. The movie is basically about nothing; you just follow this guy for a couple months in his life. So if you like that type of movie, this is for you.

4.5/5

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I really enjoyed this film, although I don't know what the hell PrincessKate was talking about when she said her audience was laughing a lot. Except for the sporadic jokes, very little of this movie is laugh-out-loud funny. It's an uncomfortable dirge in a weather man's mid-life crisis, and while there are moments of humor, I have a feeling the writer put them there just so depressed people wouldn't shoot themselves in the face after watching it.

Still, it's nice to see that "American Beauty" has a worthy successor in the Hollywood-tackles-indie-drama genre. It's a really good loving film.

4.5/5

Dubber
Sep 11, 2001
HORRIBLE POSTER, SELF-OBSESSED POSTER.
Great movie, funny and sensitive. You follow the character's life over a period of time and learn a lot about the protagonist. There were some funny moments, but I really felt an emotional connection to Cage's character as well. It made me sad sometimes as well, it was well filmed and the acting was terrific. Bravo!

4.5/5

esky
Apr 15, 2003

PrincessKate posted:

If you have seen the trailer, you've basically seen the movie though. There really is no big plot. The movie is basically about nothing; you just follow this guy for a couple months in his life.

Strangely enough, this is how I feel, only to me, those are all negative qualities for a movie.

PROs: Nick Cage, Michael Caine
CONs: Absolutley boring and depressing

I was really disappointed by this movie, after really looking forward to it.

2/5

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.
I was really impressed by this film. I saw the short tartar sauce clip on tv and decided I might as well check it out. I didn't really expect very much but I must say I was very plesantly suprised. I have seen alot of movies in the theaters lately but this is the only to really actually make me feel something. The acting is flawless, the characters are all belivable and its amazingly well written. I found myself laughing really hard way too much in this movie, when I tried to describe what made me laugh after the film I really couldn't describe any of the parts properly, so I am not even going to try. Just go see this movie, the only thing I can complain about is that its a little slow paced at times. I could understand why someone would say they didn't like how nothing happens because it isn't a bunch of really exciting events its more interesting to watch the progression of this person. I really loved this film its a shame its probably not going to do very well in the box offices.

Pros: Acting, Writing, Directing
Cons: A little slow paced at times

5/5

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I thought this film was awesome. I rented it because, hey, Nick Cage, and I wasn't let down. He's come out with some kickass movies lately, this included. He is perfect in his role, really pulls off the whole "trying to turn my life around" vibe and comes off as totally overwhelmed by everything. It was funny too, but in a sad way. I did feel bad for laughing like the OP said. There was almost no plot, it's more like a character sketch than a story, but you get the feeling that at the end even though he's the same person, things have changed for the better (through no fault of his own).

Pros: Nick Cage, the entire cast was terriffic, very well written.
Cons: No plot, depressing (which is a con if you watch it while depressed. It will make you want to die.)

4.5/5

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I liked the movie a lot but these type of dark movies where you see someones downfall are the movies I like the most. It does have its funny little moments and some people say its depressing but its an entertaining film if you give it a chance. I'd love to see more movies like it.

For once, Nicholas Cage doesn't come off as a complete idiot. He actually does a pretty good job in this film and you really feel for him. You get to see one giant tit too!

Rated 4.5

Kill Bill
Apr 22, 2004
To be simple and to the point:

Awesome; funny and intelligent

4.5/5

Bozarth
Sep 2, 2003

What fucking language are you speaking?
I rented this movie because my brother had pestered me to see it.

I had wanted to see it when it was in theaters, because it looked like a quirky comedy about a man who is kicked when he's down. Nick Cage getting pelted with food seemed like a great premise.

What squelched my enthusiasm for seeing it was The Cage Factor. He's not a bad actor, he's not a great actor, but he's distinct. His dead, soulless delivery in movies like Con Air and The Rock are incredibly awful.

The Weather Man is the opposite side of the coin. Dave Spritz is a rich and deep character. He's likeable, but still a clumsy mess of a man. Cage doesn't play him as a stereotypical victim who starts fighting back. The narrative flows naturally, but not in an act-by-act set up. He forms like a real human being.

Micheal Caine playing Spritz's father sets a great unattainable goal. His cold demanor and socratic language is like listening to Dave argue with himself.

As dark and slow as it is, I was very glad I rented it.

Pros: Story, acting, directing
Cons: Slow pace, Caine's American accent

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I too was thinking of American Beauty as a I watched it. His kids are strange as hell, and I like the uniqueness in a middle aged man trying to impress his dad in his last few years of life for some reason I can't explain. The acting is really good, I love Michael Caine and Nicholas Cage came across as incredibly believable as another has pointed out.

The directing was really nice too, I especially liked the scene with the bow and arrow at Nicholas Cage's dad's live-in funeral. I'm a sucker for Nicholas Cage movies, especially after Lord of War so I can't help but give it a 4.5/5

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Nicholas Cage playing a deadpan, melancholy character? Sign me up!

Seriously though, I know someone said that it would make depressed people want to kill themselves, but it actually really made me feel a little bit better. Those little moments of humor (I seriously laughed for about five minutes straight when he is bitching to himself about getting poo poo thrown at him, pauses to attack his son's pedo counselor, and then right afterwards picks it back up again) really made it less bleak, and really stood out.

4.5/5

Waffle Zone
Mar 17, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just finished watching it. I was kind of disappointed because for some reason I thought the plot of this movie was Nicholas Cage becomes god and makes the weather. Then I was really disappointed when the movie just ended and there wasn't really much resolution. Now I'm just kind of depressed. It was all very well done but I suppose I watched it in the mood for an uplifting human playing god comedy. I guess it's cool that he got the national job and nobody throws things at him anymore but I like when things are a little more tied up.

3.5/5

Waffle Zone fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 5, 2006

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I thought it was great. The back cover describes it as "American Beauty meets About Schmidt" and I'd say that's pretty accurate. It's can be depressing at times but I thought the ending was actually a happy one. There are a few laugh out loud funny parts, such as Dave's living funeral speech , but most of it is a kind of quiet, sad humor. 5/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petrockstealer
Sep 1, 2003

by Eris Is Goddess
Much has already been said but let me just add that this is one of my favorite movies and I really like the role of Dave's son, for whatever reason. The confrontation between Dave and the counselor buffered by Dave's random thoughts and nonchallant attitude were really funny.

5/5