Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Ralp

I just watched this again last night for the first time in probably 5 years and i was floored.

I always loved the movie because of it was scarey and nicolson is awesome in it but knowing what i know now about kubrick i enjoyed it a thousand times more.

This is definetly one of kubricks most underrated films in my opinion. Probably because it was his first and only foray into horror. Whatever the case i couldnt believe how incredible some scenes looked. Like all kubrick movies this one doesnt look dated at all despite being 25+ years old.

Some of the scenes that had me drooling on myself were Jack swinging the axe at the door, jack hobbling outside axe in hand into the blizzard, jack slamming on the inside of the storage room door, and of course jacks face sticking through the broken door.

There are a ton more but i could spend all day listing them.

I would give it a 5.5 if it wasnt for the mothers acting like someone said before. Shes god awful at the end running around with the knife.

Rating: 5.0
Pros: Nicolsons best performance, incredible visuals thanks to kubrick, great story, geniuenly scarey
Cons: Shelly Duvalls god awful acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU