Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Starring: Jack Nicholson... and that's really all you need to know.

This was playing over Halloween, and I had it on in the background while I was playing games. Upon hearing Nicholson saying one of his memorable lines, I had to switch off the game and watch the rest of the movie, AGAIN.

The Shining is one of the best horror films ever made. The story is about Jack, a regular guy with a regular family, just down on his luck and looking for work. Well he finds some work, as caretaker of the Overlook Hotel. This hotel is drat near inaccessible during the winter, and requires someone to live there to take care of some of the details. Jack happily moves in with his family, eager to start on a new novel.

Just the thought of living alone in a huge hotel for months on end is a creepy enough prospect for me. Add in random murders and supernatural occurences over the hotel's long past and you have an environment perfect for lunacy. And an actor who can play lunacy perfectly.

Kubrick does an admirable job as director, with original stylized scenes such as blood cascading out of an elevator, and he's one of the first to use a creepy, wide eyed little girl as a device for terror.

In the end, however, Kubrick and everyone else in the film takes a backseat to Jack, whose performance is just delicious and a pleasure to watch. He perfectly plays a man who goes from ordinary, everyday blue collar guy to slavering, manic killer with an axe. One of my most favorite aspects about this film is it doesn't rely on cheap scare tactics or expensive special effects to scare the poo poo out of you. It is more of a look into the mind of somebody who just, simply, loses it, and the fact that it is plausable makes it pack an even more powerful punch.

There are many good lines in this movie, my personal favorite being, "Darling. Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just gonna bash your brains in! I'm gonna bash 'em right the gently caress in. Ha, ha!"

In conclusion, if you haven't seen this flick yet and you're a fan of horror films, I would strongly recommend checking it out. An if you have seen it but it's been a while, see it again.

5.5 / 5

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Nicholson's performance, Kubrick's direction
CONS: A few plot device changes from the book, but nothing to degrade the quality of the movie

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 8, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU