Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Directed by: Dean Parisot
Starring: Jim Carrey, Téa Leoni

Fun with Dick and Jane is a lackluster holiday comedy based on a substandard adaptation by Judd Apatow and an undeniably lacking performance from Jim Carrey.

For those of you who haven't been exposed to the omnipresent advertising for this movie, Dick and Jane is a remake of the 70's flick about a couple who turns to bank robbery to pay the bills after Dick's (Carrey) company goes bankrupt.

Before even walking into the theatre, it was obvious that this movie was riding on Carrey's shoulders; he would make or break this film. The key to most of Carrey's successful comedies is to let him improvise and do his own thing (Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, etc). Unfortunately, the script doesn't give him too much freedom in terms of letting Jim Carrey be, well, Jim Carrey, and the movie suffers because of it.

Granted, Carrey has his moments, and the movie itself is good escapist fun, but that's all it is. Fun with Dick and Jane is by no means a hilarious, instantly quotable comedy classic. It's a forgettable holiday flick that evokes a couple laughs and nothing else.

RATING: 2

PROS: Everything you'd expect from a dumb holiday comedy
CONS: Everything you'd expect from a dumb holiday comedy

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0369441/

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 24, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boofasten
Feb 2, 2005

dance to the music you ugly motherfuckers
After seeing all the great people involved in this movie, it's hard to imagine how everything could go so horribly wrong. Brian Grazer and Judd Apatow turned out some real garbage. I saw it with 5 friends. Three of them were giggling like idiots at some of the scenes while myself and 2 others were simply astonished not only at how terrible the story and the acting was, but also that our friends were laughing.

But, I laughed very loudly when Tea Leoni said to Jim Carrey, "I didn't know you could act!" It's gotten to the point where Jim Carrey jumping on desks and saying words funny just doesn't cut it anymore for me.

Oh, and the moral message at the end of all the CEO's names was loving stupid and just made me angry.

Rating: 1

blindhaberdasher
Aug 8, 2005

your sins will be read to you ceaselessly, in shifts, throughout eternity
I'll admit, I laughed quite a bit at this movie. The script didn't seem all that impressive, and it probably would have been completely unwatchable without Jim Carrey in the lead role, but I laughed nonetheless. The thing is, it seemed to move so fast that, at the end, I didn't really feel as thought I had just watched a whole movie. It was more of a collection of jokes than a film. It was entertaining enough, I guess, but I'm just not sure it was really worth the trip to the theater.

2.5/5

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
It was certainly alot better than Bruce Almighty. Jim Carrey showed some restraint and let his co-star shine a bit. The plot is all the more potent due to the time of year and the people who usually go see holiday movies, so that's just good marketing. Some great laughs, some dumb 'easy' jokes, a pretty formulaic twist at the end, but a pretty charming little flick.

PROS: Jim Carrey's singing scene in the elevator was really short; He was hilarious in a movie for the first time in a while, Tea Leoni is hot.

CONS: The previews spoiled a good number of gags; all that proletariat shout-out crap was pretty annoying.

3/5

Acid rain
Aug 13, 2004

This movie tries way too hard to be funny, and it's painfully obvious.

1/5

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
Mostly forgettable, and quite poorly written. 2005 wasn't a great year for cinema, for the most part, and this movie serves as a rather fitting end to that year.

It's not a particularly bad movie by any means, but it's not great either. The filmmakers took the option of being formulaic and bland rather than crafting an intelligent comedy, but given the box office draw of intelligent comedies, they were probably only making a financially wise decision.

3/5

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

schmuckfeatures posted:

Mostly forgettable
3/5

This sums it up the movie had some funny moments and made me laugh but was mediocre at best. I saw it this weekend and can't qoute a line from it, so there wasn't a single spectalcular moment to remember.

I liked the cast and the movie entertained me, but in no way a great film.

3/5 (average)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I didn't see any previews before seeing it, and I was expecting the absolute worst.

I enjoyed it for what it was, and there were some honestly funny parts.

3.5/5