Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Directed by: Thomas Bezucha
Starring: Claire Danes, Diane Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Sarah Jessica Parker

This is the first movie I ever walked out of. It is absolutely unwatchable. Sarah Jessica Parker is the would be daughter-in-law of this rear end in a top hat family headed by Diane Keaton (who is playing the same character she's played her whole life) and Craig T. Nelson. For some unexplainable reason, the entire family treats Sarah Jessica Parker like absolute poo poo. They make fun her, and flat out tell the son not to marry her. The son asked Diane Keaton for the family wedding ring and Diane Keaton tells him "no, tough poo poo." Wow. Again, there is no reason the family shouldn't like Sarah Jessica Parker at this point. Rachael McAdams character is a vile piece of poo poo. There is no reason to like this family. Then they say that the mom is sick. Again, why would anyway care? They are painted like total assholes, so I don't care if one of them is sick.

THEN, the worst part. They are all talking at the dinner family. Diane Keaton says she "wishes all her sons were gay" (because one of them is). Ok, well that is a pretty loving weird thing to say. It's not funny or charming, its just stupid. So then Sarah Jessica Parker says "you didn't really wish that, did you?" And then she goes into some ridiculous diatribe about how 'no one would want their child to be gay. Everyone wants a 'normal'' child. Now granted, that is a pretty dumb thing to say in front of a gay couple. So then Diane Keaton and Craig T. Nelson go crazy and Diane Keaton calls Sarah Jessica Parker an rear end in a top hat. Then I walked out of the theatre.

This is not a comedy. This is not a charming holiday film. It is an utterly retarded piece of poo poo. I don't care how the movie resolved itself. Diane Keaton probably has cancer, but that makes me happy, because her character is a bitch and nothing would make me sympathetic towards her character.

RATING: 0

PROS: Absolutely None
CONS: The entire movie. Unfunny, unwatchable, completely unsympathetic characters.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0356680/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wanted to watch Lady and the Tramp.

My girlfriend wanted to go see Family Stone.

She has the vagina. She won. Now she has lost for all time.

This movie is horrible. Not only is it not funny, but absolutely none of the characters/family structure is believable. The ultra-liberal mother, with her "LET ME TELL SOMEONE I DON'T LIKE/KNOW ABOUT MY DAUGHTER'S FIRST gently caress!" speach who we are supposed to care about in the end when she died? Come on. After that, I was actually counting the seconds until she died. I wanted her to die christmas day part 1. Anyway, the ultra-liberal mother with the moderate to slight conservative father character types don't really mesh well, all the kids should have acted like that bitch daughter with a family structure like that, absolutely NO RELATIONSHIP in the ENTIRE MOVIE is believable (be it the fact that no one is in love with anyone or that the gay relationship just felt like two good friends.

Oh! And "OMG the bus!" scene has been done FIVE THOUSAND TIMES!!!

Do not see!!!

.5/5, just because I did laugh... at the absurdity.

Vanshnook
Mar 3, 2004

Any idiot can be complicated.
Im going to give this movie at least a 3 becuase I saw it after I saw The Ringer and this was FAR better. Not great but better than real crap.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I saw this movie for Rachel McAdams and I will give it a 1.5 just because she was looking good and also because of that "GAY PEOPLE!" line that made me laugh a little bit

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Everyone just loving cries every 5 loving minutes. I wish I was joking. Apparently the only emotion this family can muster to bad situations is loving crying. Also they're apparently psychic and can tell things about each other like nobody's loving business. The father, after meeting Sarah Jessica Parker for about 5 minutes, says that she "doesn't know herself." :wtf:

I swear to God they just wanted to make the most persecuted couple as well. "OK guys we've got a gay couple, how can we make them more of a minority?"
"Why not have one of them be black?"
"OK that's good, I like that. What about the other one?"
"Deaf! We'll make him deaf!"
"PERFECT!"

The intended most dramatic line is the most laughable.

Claire Danes' character is leaving after falling in love with Sarah Jessica Parkers' characters fiance (AFTER LESS THAN ONE DAY HE APPARENTLY IS IN LOVE WITH CLAIRE DANES). So she's leaving on a bus because... well who loving cares. She's leaving on a bus for their to be some drama and the fiance begs her to not go.

Claire Danes: I can't do this, it's too much.
Fiance: No it's not.

I burst out laughing. "Oh it's not to much? Well then I guess I'll stay. Thanks for clearing that up."

I'm giving it 1/5 instead of .5/5 because I thought the way the family used sign for the deaf son all the time was good.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

I liked this movie because all of the things about the deaf son were so subtle--I don't think the point was to show you how oppressed he was, but to show you that it isn't abnormal to be deaf and gay. The family treated the brother and his partner just like they treated their daughter and her husband. That said, this was sort of idealized, but I still enjoyed it.

3.5/5

Funkyboss
Feb 24, 2002
I agree mostly with the OP, but he failed to point out that, not only is the family a bunch of assholes, but SJP's character is pretty much unlikeable from her first scene. Not to mention that the fiance guy is a big waste of space with no personality to speak of. Add in predicable plot points and attempts to be emotionally manipulative with sub-sitcom attempts at slapstic and you've got yourself one lovely movie.

HelpingFriendlyBook
Nov 3, 2005

my daily affirmation
I felt nothing but awkward the entire movie. Mostly the slapping-your-forehead, "What is this idiot going to say next" type of awkward.

I'm not saying the family weren't a bunch of twats -- they were. But SJPs character was painful to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Thank you SA. I can point my GF to this thread and show her how awful this movie is. I had an idea that it was horrid by seeing the trailer in 3 out of the last 4 movies I've gone to. I didn't laugh once during the trailer, that being a pretty good sign that the movie isn't funny/good.