Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
"Nongnongdongfongbong" is one character too long. : (

Artemis Entreri posted:

hey ditch remember in 2003/early 04 when NJPW brought in some huge muscle bound guy and labeled him the Great Muta with a blue/orange crazy lookin mask. Who was that and whatever happened to him

That was the GREAT MUTA (caps intended) isn't it? I remember it being Johnny Stamboli behind the mask and he's wrestling in Mexico now IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
I used to totally loathe Nakanishi's work when he wrestled more serious matches but he has become...(even more) goofier in recent years and it's actually a lot more entertaining now. But it's still an acquired taste though.

If you're not a fan of unintentionally funny wrestlers such as Nakanishi and Taue, you can always try watching some of his 2003 work where he abandoned his "beast man" gimmick for a while and went under "Gotch-ism" and he actually had some good "serious" matches during that period. He was also in an amazing shape at that time but too much KFC has turned him into a big, clumsy but lovable oaf that he is now.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006

Lid posted:

Ditch what do you have of (all one guy) El Blazer, Shanao, Yoshitsune, Mini CIMA, Litle Dragon, HUSTLE Kamen Ranger Red, Michinoku Ranger Gold?

His no-hands front flip into the ropes feign thingy is loving scary, one day he's just going to slam himself headfirst into the mat. He is pretty entertaining though, I'll give him that even though he needs to gently caress up a little less.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
I think the NOAH booking board (with Akiyama helming it now, it seems) already has long-term plans nicely laid out for the young stars to truly rise up, wouldn't be surprised if they took some pointers from Baba's booking.

I'm looking forward to the title defences, definitely. Marufuji has not dissapointed me this year so far. And it will be cool to see what kind of character Akiyama will develop after this. Ultra grumpy Akiyama, please!

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006

KidVicious posted:

I just came from the Osaka gym and there was a pretty big show there with the main event of Koji Kanemoto and Hiroshi Tanahashi. I couldn't catch a lot of the names very well, is anyone in the Osaka area with results/info on the show?

EDIT: I just moved out here for a year and I don't know people. Yay bakagaijin me.

http://puroresufan.com/ would have some very useful info for you. How was the show? Any standout matches?

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
I enjoyed the match as well but when Marufuji hit the third consecutive spinning kick to a grounded KENTA and missed pretty badly, I was like :froggonk:.
Still a good match though, no real gripes about the backdrop/German no-sell sequence either, other than Marufuji very enthusiastically throwing himself backwards on a KENTA German suplex.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
American Balloon. :frogsiren:
I'm still not sure whether the interviewer was "Oh Jesus, the tits :gonk:" or "Oh Jesus, the tits :quagmire:" near the end of the interview.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
Danielson's selling of KENTA's Go2Sleep is legendary, someone should make an animated gif from it. The match was pretty good but could have been so much more entertaining if it was held at Korakuen or even the Budoukan.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
Thanks, mate. I've been wanting to check that video out for a long time but megaupload hates me.

Misawa giving out presents as Santa Claus is super :unsmith:. Also, why are they always getting Honda to be a girl? :gonk:

nongdongfongbong fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 7, 2007

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
I just watched some NOAH after a long time of not watching any wrestling at all and the Bricoes vs. Marufuji/Iibushi match almost made me want to be a fan again. That would have happened, if I ignored the rest of the card.

And Kanemaru's not fat anymore, did he befriend Masato Tanaka or something?

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
Hey Ditch, thanks for the 90's Jr. matches from NJ. Those were the stuff I grew up watching as a teenager and it's good to know that they're still enjoyable. It's too bad that there was a Kanemoto vs. El Samurai match coming up, as Kanemoto vs. Naniwa had the potential to be so much more.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

4. Special Tag Match: Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs. Jun Akiyama & KENTA

Should really be held in the Budoukan or anywhere in Tokyo but oh well, I'll take whatever I can get. Really, there are so many stories here, I really want it to be good.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
Anyone else loving NJPW's old translator guy who emerges from the background and meekly reads off his notes after an English-speaking wrestler's post-match interview? My favourites are the ones after Strong Man's impassioned speeches.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
I still mark out for the John Woo.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
Hoho Lun came to wrestle as a heel invader here in Singapore a while ago. He was up against this Singaporean wrestler who had a legit injury going in so Hoho had to carry the entire match. I think he finishes with the superkick. Has a pretty decent bridged German suplex too.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
That was the 95 match, right? Their effort in 96 was my favourite when I was younger.

Oh, Ohtani...you should have stayed an underdog rookie forever.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
That's a real pity for the Japanese audience. They seem to love him quite a bit.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006
I just watched Shinsuke's tag match in NOAH. Not sure if NJPW will gain as much as NOAH from a CHAOS invasion, but Ishii vs KENTA needs to happen in some format.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006

Ditch posted:

Tokyo Sports, which so often makes goofy MOTY decisions, picked a good one this year: Nakamura vs Ibushi.

Other winners-
Most Valuable Player: Kazuchika Okada
Best Tag Team: TMDK (Mikey Nicholls & Shane Haste )
Outstanding Performance: KENTA
Fighting Spirit: Daisuke Sekimoto
Technique Prize: Masato Yoshino
Rookie of the Year: Konosuke Takeshita (DDT)
Joshi Puroresu Grand Prix: Meiko Satomorua
Lifetime Achievement Award: Kenta Kobashi

How many unprotected headbutts does Ishii have to dish out to get on the list? I thought he was a shoo-in for the fighting spirit award.

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006

Ditch posted:

Any interest in me doing some sort of "Let's watch a great Japanese match" daily thread?

Hell yes. So much good stuff in your archives that's been overlooked by the newer fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nongdongfongbong
Jul 30, 2006

Wow that's big news considering he was bedridden for the last couple of years. Really hope he regains enough mobility to lead a relatively normal life.