Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

And he became a champ in such a strong way too. Some nice stiff lariats followed by a Backdrop meant Misawa did a real good job of putting Morishima over. A real fun match to watch.

As for the future, I think we'll see Misawa/Kobashi before Kobashi/Morishima. You can use Misawa/Kobashi to build up for Kobashi/Morishima and it gives Kobashi a bit more time to get rid of any remaining ring rust if(when, really) he gets another title reign. Plus I'd love to see the Summer/fall build set up to be Morishima/Marafuji/Suguira being all surly and mean to the old timers like they were in the 2/21/08 6 man.

You could even reunite Misawa/Kobashi and have them face off against the young punks for instant heat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

It would be material from the last few years after the original AJPW was folded and the new All Japan Pro Wrestling (in English) was formed with Akiyama at the helm.

The TV network that aired All Japan before the first split still has the rights to that footage right?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Taiji Ishimori has quit NOAH.

TNA claims another!

If Bushiroad isn't callin him right away I'll be quite mad

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Motoko Baba just passed away

https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/mens_prores/988774/

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Believe me navigating stuff like Granblue's website has made appreciate how much New Japan world is actually useable for and English user

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Guessing it probably is KENTA coming back

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Those seem like some awfully big buildings to fill and I hope they have the matches to draw or welp

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Traveling from the 22 to 27 and trying to find out to buy tickets is kinda of an adventure so welp

So want to go to the 24th card at Korakuen

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna 100% try to catch a DDT show when I'm in Tokyo later in May

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Their next Korakuen is the 19th.

Not gonna be in Japan for that one but will try to catch the 25th one at Kitazawa town hall

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/tsurutaoh/status/995912557146750976

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

oh god that's horrible

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1137505754405953536

Still today the biggest match to make a star in one night. I don't even think Okada/Tanahashi comes close to touching it (simply cause the Crowd wanted Misawa to win and be a star and the crowd for Okada/Tanahashi 1 was shocked. Okada more became a star afterwards)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Any existing fed work with the WWE is going to be in for a shock when it finds out WWE fans in Japan like the sports entertainment style and the fans of their fed like their style. I can't help but see die hard Big Japan fans not being happy at all in being NXT Japan

Also Vince will screw you over etc...etc

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The fact WWE is letting Walter work against Seikmoto does add some fuel to those rumors

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I hope at least the New Japan talent matches hit world cause that card looks amazing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Don't know how long the channel will last but found a youtube video of 1986 all Japan with commercials - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxb23HGFcjc

Tenryu in 86 looks so young but also looks like a grizzled veteran as well

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

A very real fear I have is that WWE makes a huge bid for that footage and NTV is dumb enough to sell (which would be unlikely for a lot reasons but it's a fear)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NOAH would be way easier to add to the DDT service as it doesn't have a TV deal unlike Stardom and New Japan having TV deals with 2 different stations.

Now getting NOAH's old stuff on a service probably is nigh impossible due to the TV station owning those tapes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Misawa was the best and NOAH/Stardom being smart enough to tell WWE and HHH to go marching is amazing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kobashi is doing a meet in greet in Tampa during Mania weekend

https://twitter.com/ICWNEWYORK/status/1227774570930802688

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I dunno, the WWE cash probably looks real good but I suspect signing a working deal with WWE will piss off the remaining All Japan fans. Could also see the talent leave too (Kento getting crushed in NXT before he even makes it big world wide would be a major crime)

RealFoxy posted:

What was it that changed during the Monday Night Wars that stopped WCW and WWE from working partnerships with foreign companies in the first place? Hubris? Looking at some of the WCW and WWE Cruiserweight/Light-Heavyweight titles and they were defended regularly and had title changes in Japan and Mexico

At this point WWE would rather try and kill out all competitors or indie promotions by starting their own overseas than working with anyone else.

WCW had it's New Japan realtionship until the end IIRC and all through out the Monday Night wars, even if the New Japan got horrible booking in North America. Working the big New Japan shows probably was still good money for talent especially during the final years as while New Japan was in decline it hadn't hit freefall yet so the big shows still paid good money.

WWE was off and on in it's working relationships with Japan. It had some when business was lean or when Vince was just starting out (The last New Japan relationship actually helped Vince out while he waited for the first Mania cash to arrive in) but when business was real good Vince didn't see the need. And the downturn in Japanese business in the 2000's probably meant that Vince though he could probably run there for a few shows instead of working with another company

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

God loving damnit Jun

The only positive here is that WWE can't get the tape library

Jun wants to get into a Hall of Fame okay!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

this is gonna end up with kento as okada’s third lieutenant in chaos

Better fate than catering or jobbing on the Largo Loop

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Akileese posted:

What are the contract situations with All Japan? Any chance Kento jumps ship if AJPW gets sold to WWE?

I'd imagine they're probably just paid for by dates given the size of All Japan and the concept of loyalty to the company that gave you your start is what is keeping talent there. Which would go away if the Company does get sold to WWE so I'd expect Kento to have a lot of offers

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They probably could of been in a position to capitalize on the rebound of New Japan too even with the loss of TV/Death of Misawa if they didn't have the Yakuza finance scandal too

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rikio-Tanahashi is super interesting match for all the wrong reasons as NOAH really set Rikio up for failure by having him have his first title match on a card with Sasaki/Kobashi and Misawa/Kawada thus insuring his match would not get over (and in NOAH the title match should main event or else the crowd is going to doubt your ability). And Tanahashi really felt like he was in the final years of Tiger Mask 2 phase where he was going through the motions due to Inokism glass ceiling.

Not that Rikio would of made it as a top guy but that match and how it was built is a good sign of why NOAH had trouble making new top main eventers

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Inoki being involved will 100% piss off All Japan's fan base

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

the chance of Jun getting into the HoF for brining WWE to Japan moves him to sub zero.

WWE hall of fame baby!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Looking forward to some wrestling as I'm going stir crazy after 3 days of self isolation due to having (non covid) sore throat

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave mentioning in this weeks observer that the shutdown in Japan has companies that wouldn't bother with WWE now wanting to sell has me worried (though hey, WWE probably won't have the money to buy after it's next Financial report)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

No point having a later show if no crowd. Probably better for talent and everyone

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

im not sure if any of you saw, but someone uploaded the weekly pro wrestling bridge of dreams show to youtube. 6 hours. 13 promotions. every group in japan sent a main event match (except war sorry tenryu) to fill a card. legendary show, not available until now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttH0S2s5Zww

We have a Pacific Rim episode on this show I need to listen too and just watching the All Japan 6 man tag and while the video/audio is very much VHS 90's level I get why people said this was a great match god drat

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's amazing news

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NOAH fans may have wanted just the big 4 but NOAH at the time was also not that great at supporting talent when they pushed them to the top. Rikio was never gonna be a guy but having his first defense of the title be on a dome show with Kobhashi/Sasaki and Misawa/Kawada was always going to kill his run dead. And having Marafuji win the title on a roll up over Taue and his first defense be against Kenta also killed that run dead

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah it and Morishima's first run was but I could see why they did it if the spot show money was drying up as they wanted more Misawa than say new guys (which sadly led to Misawa's death so,....)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ditch posted:

It's really a shame they didn't go with Morishima instead of Rikio as "the future" in 2005, when it wasn't too late to maintain some momentum. I'm not sure it mattered because neither one held a candle to the '90s stars, but Morishima was exponentially more compelling.

Rikio's first defenses being against Saito and semi-green Tanahashi was also such criminally bad booking on top of the fact that Rikio was never going to pull it off. Nakamura or Nagata would have been exponentially better for the Dome. Oh and of course they had Rikio vs Saito go 25 drat minutes rather than do a tight 12-14 minute slugfest that would actually play to their strengths. So Rikio had two totally boring and essentially free defenses right off the bat. (Yet somehow Rikio vs Taue was good, go figure)

According to Eggshell's the original plan was Nakamura for that match but New Japan refused as they had plans for him in the G1 and that probably was the final nail in the reign for Rikio especially given the state that New Japan was in 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Tanahashi wrestled in NOAH? Was he invading from NJPW?

I started watching this person's YT video series on King's Road: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5rIvqco0YWrJ5Q02m3csJ7kjB0f_IcEV It's pretty nice (although I kind of cringed when he enunciated a Japanese accent for Stan Hansen's Lariat(o)).

Tanahashi has quite a few matches in NOAH in the early 00's, though mostly tags as the Young Lion with Nagata . But no it wasn't an invasion it was more just NOAH booking a New Japan guy to get some buzz (even if booking Sasaki later in the card outshone it). He'd go back to NOAH for a single vs Shiozaki in 2010 which is rough in spots but is more fun as Tana gets to be a prick and enjoys it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Takayama's recovery is amazingly great news.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Is Takashi Sugiura the most underrated wrestler of the 21st century?

Sugiura vs Ishii is an interesting mirror image as Sugiura has had the big title reigns but not the world wide renown whereas Ishii hasn't had a bit title but is well known around the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I honestly would not be shocked if All Japan goes out of business in 2021 or does one worse and ends up selling to WWE