Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Ditch posted:

http://theditch.biz/results.html

All Japan '90s project voting is done! Take a look at the winners. I think the top 50 is a really great mix of what made it such a special product in the annals of pro wrestling.

51. Misawa vs Kobashi, 6/11/99

As my favorite match of all time, this makes me :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ditch posted:

:siren: Morishima beat Misawa to win the GHC title :siren:

:hellyeah:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

A guy who hates Misawa makes an MV of the GHC Title match. The TPIR failure theme or the Super Mario death theme should be played at the end of EVERY match:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-bmVLzKIH6I

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Holy motherfucking poo poo. :froggonk:

RAPADOOOOOOO always has to overcome the odds, but Tanahashi's facial expressions are really throwing down the gauntlet to Cena's expressions.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Raffles posted:

I seriously cannot believe this (spoilered for the make benefit of nerds):

8. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Keiji Muto All Japan beat Shinsuke Nakamura (c) (22:34) with a moonsault press to become the 49th champion.

Jesus loving Christ. Making Nak a dominant champ would've done wonders for the belt and for his career.

Just put the loving belt on Nagata or Tanahashi for 2 years straight when they get back. Hell, Tenzan still deserves a halfway decent reign after their bullshit booking of him from the end of '03 to '05.

EDIT: On the bright side...IIZUKA HEEL TURN! :dance:

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 27, 2008

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

:smithicide:

Ah, well. Fun while it lasted.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ditch posted:

Yone's okay at first but once you've watched a lot of his matches and he does the same 5 or 6 things every time as the entirety of his moveset... and 2 of those being restholds... it gets ooooooooold.

B-b-b-but his 'fro and his music make up for it!

Ok, not really. :smith:

Still, his music. :slick:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ditch posted:

Meanwhile, Jado and Gedo are booking New Japan. And doing great.

:psyduck:

Wait, just the juniors, or the whole promotion? :psyduck:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ditch posted:

NOAH will end the year with a 32-man tournament featuring all its top stars :dance:

...oh and all matches have a 10 minute time limit, and a "ref committee" will decide winners for the draws.

:(

I'd be all over this if it was New Japan. Their heavyweight style fits 10 minute matches quite well.

Does NOAH even have 32 guys on their roster? :v:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Holland Oats posted:

So why did Trevor Murdoch get released anyway?

They had "nothing to do" for him. :jerkbag:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Tias posted:

A little slang talk: What does spotfest mean?

A match made up almost entirely of these:

quote:

Also, when I talk cartoon physics, I mean insane highflying moves a la the mexicans. Sort of like the .gifs you posted in FYAD at one point, with the guys who look like they're on wires :)

Mid '90s Michinoku Pro and older Toryumon are your best friend for these. :)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'd also recommend M2K vs. Do Fixer from the Toryumon 6/29/2003 show. Blew me the gently caress away upon 1st viewing, and unfortunately gets lost in the shuffle of lucharesu 6-man tags.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I am going to be very, very angry if Nak and Goto lose.

And "Ballistic Interception" is officially the greatest Engrish phrase ever. EVER.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

HwoodNG posted:

Speaking of NOAH,

On the pants that Marufuji wears at ROH's A New Level and New Horizons, on the left leg does it say:

MARUFUJI
DUREX

and if so, what does that mean?

Probably a sponsor of some sort (a la Tanahashi and Power Production). His pants bore an "I.V.Y. GEAR" logo on them during the early part of the decade.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Dissolusion posted:

I like the image of Marifuji being sponsored by a condom brand. I think just because the idea is so ridiculous, like the sport stadium in the movie Baseketball being sponsored by Maxipad.

Best ever was Roberto Guerrero being sponsored by Scientology in the mid '80s.

Back on topic, I agree with wanting Kobashi to just call it a career. As much as he's killed himself in the ring, it would be very :smith: to see him in a wheelchair or worse 5 years from now.

I got into puro thanks to the J Cup, but Kobashi's match with Akiyama in Dec. 2000 made me a fan of his for life.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

All Japan has remained in business since losing NTV, although its popularity has greatly waned and the company has battled serious financial problems over the years, including periods when the wrestlers and office people would be paid in tickets, which they could sell to make money when the company could no longer afford to pay them.

:drat:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Luckily for Puro, MMA hosed itself over in Japan so they might get some top notch young athletes who might have done MMA a few years ago. I'm surprised NOAH did run March/April Budokan shows this year, it seemed like they had cut back on Budokans this year.

But you also have to wonder how many guys nowadays are wiling to put up with the bullshit that allegedly goes on in the dojos.

And it is so drat disheartening to think AJPW hasn't run the Budokan in nearly 5 years now. :smith:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Gordy posted:

It sucks that Dragongate has stopped doing the lucharesu sprint, it doesn't seem like any puro show that I can get a hold of does them anymore.

I'm fine with this. When you can accurately predict about 5/8 of the spots in every tag match before they hit, it's time to give it a rest.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

1. The tag match disappoints me to no end because it's an instant reminder that all of Liger's best opponents are dead. How fun would it have been to see him vs. Pillman here? Also I would have much rather have seen him vs. Koji in a single.

His partner was one of his best opponents. :v:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

It still pisses me off to think how NJ has hosed Tenzan over so many times. I remember being so stoked when he won the G1 and later the IWGP belt in '03, only to lose it on his 1st defense. :ughh:

TenKoji :911:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

DOIIIIIIIIIIIII

Typhoon has to break up :saddowns:

So Doi will probably lose defend the belt against CIMA at Sumo Hall then?

NO BUYS.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Wazzu posted:

low ki?

4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title ~Ballistic interception~: Tiger Mask beat Low Ki (c) (8:48) with a modified Tiger suplex hold to become the 56th champion.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ditch posted:

Go Shiozaki is getting a BIG push this tour, with a bunch of singles wins, a new powerbomb variant finisher, and now they've unlocked the "can win a match with a lariat" option.

Very happy to hear this. I always thought the Go Flasher was very contrived and not too impactful looking.

I hope against hope it's the Diamondhead. :v:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Because Tanahashi has so much luck with women. :ese:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

KENSUKE OFFICE IS TAKING OVER NOAH YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

-- Great Sasuke was arrested for assault yesterday. From what I gather, he was on a train without his wrestling mask on and someone decided to take his picture with their cell phone. He got so upset that he allegedly kicked them and throttled them by the collar. He has denied the allegations.

Someone have that clip of him potatoing the crap out of Dirtbike Kid? ChikaraFanDan's account got taken down awhile back.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

So, who are the faces and heels in DG nowadays?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Is it wrong that Chono does nothing for me? Maybe it is because I first saw him in WCW and he was terrible there, but I've never enjoyed his work, especially compared to most other Puro stars.

Chono took awhile to grow on me. Some of his stuff is really great, other stuff puts me to sleep. Anything with him during the G1 Climax is highly likely to be in the former category.

I also really loved his IWGP Title match against Takayama in 2003. Fantastic brawl.

quote:

-Mascara contra Caballera: Cyber Kong vs. Anthony W. Mori

mask vs. horse?

Mask vs. hair. Damned if I didn't want to see a bald Mori. :v:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Wazzu posted:

Well, I imagine battlearts and big japan normally wouldn't score that well.

Just to give you an idea, Tokyo Sports voted loving Nagata vs. Fujita the 2001 MOTY. :psyduck:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ditch posted:

-Nobuhiko Takada vs Genichiro Tenryu in 1996. This isn't even thought of as MOTY for Takada let alone everyone else.

They chose this over Takada's Tokyo Dome matches with Mutoh and Hash? Both of which not just completely ruled but also were legit huge money matches? :psyboom:

quote:

At least they got 1995 right.

6/9/95 is probably the answer, but damned if I don't love the hell outta that Champion's Carnival final.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Acute Hepatitis posted:

He has been wrestling in Hustle as Detective Alan Kuroki

I first read this as Detective Alan Kulwicki.

Still, I'd love to see Magnum TOKYO back, as I used to be a pretty big mark for him. But only with his old theme song.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

I hope CIMA gets his groove back cause I keep hearing otherwise. :ohdear:

Same. Injury or no, dude's been total crap since BloodGen ended.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Can somebody please elaborate on Jae's quote in Ditch's interview with him that Ultimo Dragon is insane and an egomaniac?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ditch posted:

For a big Toryumon show he put together a dream match AND FLEW IN DISCO INFERNO TO BE IN IT.

Point taken.

Show was still loving great.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, man. Kikuchi vs. Kanemoto. :flashfap:

And I know I'm the only person who will feel this way, I feel kinda :unsmith: that Nakanishi finally gets a run with the belt.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Christ that is awful.

Since it's been posted in the threads on this at DVDVR, Strong Style Symphony, CZWFans, and freaking everywhere else talking about this, Jun Akiyama saves the day :unsmith: :

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

These guys are gonna catch hell if they are still booked for the DGUSA shows.

I seem to recall that Kojima had an entry on his old blog about finding and adopting a stray cat back around '05 or so. I'll see if I can track that down soon.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

My memory sucks; is Tanabe the MPro ref who counts very, VERY loud?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

TheDuelies posted:

Sugiura challenged Tanahashi to a match after his win! YAY! YAY! YAY!

:flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Couldn't they have made Nakanishi a transitional champ in say October to give him his lifetime achievement reign? My American smark brain is not processing the strong style booking here.

Questioning IWGP Title booking is so 2004.