Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Finally, Meiko faces a wrestler capable of withstanding her wrath: Stalker Ichikawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I believe in KAI.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate announced that the Twin Gate match for Final Gate is going to be YAMATO and BxB Hulk challenging Big R and Eita. Considering that's 3/4ths of my 2018 MOTY, this is easily one of my most anticipated matches in the near future.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate got a new logo.

https://twitter.com/dragongatekido/status/1202139782136004608

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Thauros posted:

i kinda dig the logo but question why a new one was necessary at all. also having a logo featuring animal that symbolizes the company facing forward and baring its fangs strikes me as a bit new japanish but it's not "n-1" level and i seem to be the only one who even saw it that way

It’s been pretty turbulent back stage in Dragon Gate this past year and a half with CIMA leaving and Okamura stepping down as president and the takeover of the Yoshino/Doi/Kido regime and the return of Ultimo. Guess they view it as a similar situation to the original Dragon Gate/Toryumon break, and a new logo and corporate poo poo to match the new situation was seen as necessary.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Stalker, Fujii, and Maria is an incredibly powerful team, and I'm glad the magic of Doi Darts brought it to us.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/dg_jae/status/1207063190028177414?s=20

So for tomorrow's/tonight's Korakuen DG show, Jae will be in the commentary booth.

Finally a real legend on the show. They should book a match between Jae and Stalker.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I think a Dragon Gate gen team is getting the Twin Gate, probably either the YAMATO/Ben-K team or the Kzy/Dragon Dia team. Since Toryumon has the Dream Gate, and RED has the Triangle and Brave gates, I think they'll want to balance out the factions at the beginning of the year by giving the Dragon Gate Gen the other "main" title.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It'd probably be YAMATO/Ben-K but my thinking was A. They're high on Dragon Dia, and the mini-push he got at the end of 2019 might be prepping him for bigger things this year, and giving him a surprise flash win over Hulk seems like something DG would do, and B. I'm thinking they might want to give Kzy a belt, since he's essentially the co-leader of the Dragon Gate gen with YAMATO, and YAMATO doesn't really need a belt at his moment.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I just signed up for DG network. Someone link me to some stuff I should watch.

I also signed up to stardom and I think I'm not going to keep three services. So I'll see what I get the most enjoyment out of between them after 2 months and cancel one. There's only so much time in the day to watch wrestling.

A good starting point would be the 2019 Kobe World show, which was the first Dragon Gate show to get English commentary, and serves as a good starting off point for the current stretch of what DG is doing: https://dragongate.live/title/?program=match_KPF2019_EC. My show of the year.

Also the 2011 Kobe World show in the middle of the Blood Warriors/Junction Three war is a candidate for Dragon Gate's Show of the Decade, every match is fantastic or tons of fun: https://dragongate.live/title/?program=kobe_world&episode=1350

For a non-major show, check Infinity 550, which features a recap of Dead or Alive 2019, and then has the opening matches of the King of Gate tournament at Korakuen Hall the following week, which are all very good and was low-key one of my favorite shows of 2019. https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_infinity2019&episode=12

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'll watch the Kobe show. I'm watching the PAC/BenK match right now. Have they done any English commentary since then? If so I'll watch anything in English and then just catch upcoming shows with Japanese commentary. I have to admit I'm really not understanding now to navigate this. If I wanted to like, for instance watch the 2019 King of Gate I'm not sure how I'd do that. In the NJPW thread we always say "go watch the G1" to get caught up on everyone. Would that be essentially the equivalent?

Oh the website and it's layout are awful, it constantly logs me out for no reason while trying to get to shows, and the archives are spotty because of dumb TV rights poo poo with GAORA. But this is still an improvement over buying each show individually using like three separate Japanese websites to try and buy something.

Anyways, the other shows with English commentary are Dangerous Gate, Gate of Destiny, Final Gate, and the two December Korakuen shows. The upcoming Korakuen on the 15th will also have English commentary.

King of Gate is weird because it's not huge in the way the G1 is so a lot of the matches are spread out over a bunch of essentially house shows as they tour for that month, rather than being an appointment event like the G1, so not everything makes tape and sometimes what does is essentially unedited no commentary hard cam footage. The finals are here on Infinity 513: https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_infinity2019&episode=16

Essentially the archives are incomplete and you should yell at Jae on twitter about it.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 13, 2020

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ok let's say I wanted to watch one of those. How would I go about finding final gate? I tried searching and came up with nothing.

One of the things about the Dragon Gate Network is that shows are taken down after a week until they are eventually aired a month or two later on GAORA TV. This sucks and everyone knows it sucks but it's a concession they had to make to GAORA (who are part owners of DG) to even get the network. If you can't find it it's because GAORA hasn't let them put it up yet.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Punch McLightning posted:

So what’s the best way to actually watch Dragon Gate this year?

The easiest way to watch current Dragon Gate is the DG Network as long as you’re willing to watch within a week of the show airing, you shouldn’t have a problem accessing those shows.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

All the Japanese smarks are just intimidated by how cool and sexy and handsome YAMATO is.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Those Dragon Gate Trios look very intriguing.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So on the 31st, Dragon Gate is running a Toryumon Reuinion show at Korakuen Hall that'll have English commentary, probably Larry Dallas and Jae. The exact card hasn't been annonced but they have announced a bunch of the people involved:

Ryo Saito (Cycler gimmick)
Genki Horiguchi (Surfer gimmick)
Kenichiro Arai
Super Shisa
Shachihoko Machine
Don Fujii
Second Doi
Dragon Kid
K-ness.
Kagetora
Konomama Ichikawa

Toru Owashi
Henry III Sugawara
Koichiro Arai
Masahiro Takanashi
Takeshi Minamino
Kanjuro Matsuyama
Amigo Suzuki
Hisamaru Tajima
CHANGO
Tsubo Genjin

With M2K and more interestingly, Italian Connection reuniting. If it's for a match, this will be Milano Collection A.T.'s first match in at least a decade.
〈M2K〉
Masaaki Mochizuki
Yasushi Kanda
Susumu Mochizuki

〈Italian Connection〉
YOSSINO
“brother” YASSINI
Condotti Shuji
Milano Collection a.t.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Ah drat I've been had. I should have read closer.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

With it being billed as Toryumon Reuinion show, is it expected to fit into the broader storylines going on in DG overall?

It's being presented as a separate show being run by Ultimo Dragon, that while being aired on the Dragon Gate Network, is supposedly completely separate from the broader Dragon Gate world. Though I suppose it's always possible that R.E.D. could show up and crash the party.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Ultimo's theme slaps and his feud with "Audio Muted For Copyright Reasons" is the most infuriating part of his current Dragon Gate run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XxWx7IEb6s

And it's not for a single wrestler, but the theme for the Blood Warriors faction might be the best wrestle song ever/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4hKLnIbOSs

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 28, 2020

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Toryumon show should be lots of fun, and having Jae on commentary will be a godsend since he's probably the single most knowledgeable english speaking person in the world when it comes to Toryumon.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/POSTwrestling/status/1223826342153723905?s=20

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

That NOAH/MLW deal lasted about 3 seconds.

Don't MLW use Stronghearts?

CIMA and T-Hawk were on the most recent MLW tapings, judging from CIMA’s Instagram.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Finally, all us Ho Ho Lunatics out here getting our Ho Ho Lun fix.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Ishida vs Horiguchi should be good.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The Marafuji/Mochizuki team sounds cool. So many kicks.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gamma being a Punch fanboy is a wonderful joke.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Apparently while every show was cancelled, Dragon Gate put Jae and Larry Dallas to work and had them go back and retroactively do commentary for Dead or Alive 2019. They pretend it's live but you can tell that's not true because they audio is well-mixed. If you've ever wanted to watch the clusterfuck cagematch but have been intimidated by the whole, I have no clue what the storylines are for this clusterfuck match, here's your chance.

https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_20190506_apg&episode=1

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The 2011 show is one of the best wrestling shows I’ve ever seen, and the 2019 one has English commentary if you’re into that.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Hopefully after seeing how WWE has handled Tozawa, Uhaa, PAC, and Ricochet, Dragon Gate will stay far away from them.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So this weeks free Dragon Gate shows are the last three Dead or Alive shows, which is the big yearly show built around the big clieterfuck apuestas Cage match main event.

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1249567850290962434

Obviously the main events here are the draw, as they’re all entertaining high stakes clusterfucks worth watching. However 2017 has an awesome Brave Gate match between Kagetora and Takehiro Yamamura and a great Twin Gate match between CK-1 (CIMA and Dragon Kid) and T-Hawk and El Lindaman.

2018 has a great Twin Gate match between T-Hawk and Eita vs Big R Shimizu and Ben-K as well as an excellent Triangle Gate between MaxiMuM and Natural Vibes.

2019 once again has a fantastic Brave gate match between U-T and secret wrestler of the year Susumu Yokuska, and a great Dream Gate match where PAC murders Dragon Kid with the most insane Falcon Arrow ever.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Watching the 2017 DoA has me all nostalgic.

The Yamamura match against Kagetora was bittersweet, because Yamamura is so incredibly good and at the time, it wasn't a question of if he'd be a future Dream Gate champ but whether he or Ben-K would get it first. But only a couple months later he'd suffer an injury that took him out for over a year, and now three years later it's questionable if he'll ever wrestle again, not to mention that it probably won't be in Dragon Gate since he left with CIMA.

The CK-1 match was so good too, it got me to go back to the Kobe World and Gate of Destiny Twin Gate defenses which are both spectacular. I remember the reaction at the time of their reign among western Dragon Gate fans was incredibly negative, to the point it felt like I had fallen into an alternative dimension and was watching a completely different title reign than everyone else. Their defenses against North Tribe, Kzy/Maria, T-Hawk/Lindaman, Speed Muscle, and Big Ben were all amazing and told a consistent throughline story of a veteran team that might been just a step behind physically, but where the ultimate wily veterans completely aware of their surroundings and able to capitalize on every mistake their younger opponents made to just barely scrape out a win, with each match forcing them to dig deeper and deeper. It was compelling stuff. Plus they were super over with the live crowds. The only negative is that Kid got injured like two weeks before they were defintely going to drop the belts to the newly reformed T-Hawk and Eita team.

And finally, R.I.P. Cyber Kong.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

This week's(?) free Dragon Gate content is the 2014, 2015, and 2016 Dead or Alive shows.

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1253177773721436160

The 2014 DoA was the first Dragon Gate show I ever watched and it blew me away. Still one of the best wrestling shows of the last decade. You've got the aforementioned fantastic Flamita/Susumu match that basically made Flamita, an awesome Twin Gate match between Shingo/Tozawa and Mochizuki/Fuji, a real fun Triangle Gate match with the classic Millennial's team of T-Hawk, Eita, and U-T, the best singles match of Ricochet's career defending the Dream Gate against full top heel YAMATO, and the first appearance of the really wacky and convoluted DoA cage match that culmnated in an amazing face turn for BxB Hulk and kicked off his nearly flawess run for the rest of the year. Also has Gamma and Maria getting really weird. A must watch show.

The 2015 DoA was ok but everything outside of the Tozawa/Dragon Kid Brave Gate match was pretty underwhelming. That year's DoA match was marred by another failed attempt to get T-Hawk over.

The whole 2016 show was focused around the all Verserk cage match, with most of the show being matches where the loser was forced to become a delegate for one of the entrants in the main event and risk their own hair. This culminated in what is to me maybe the best cage match any company's put on. It's absolutely a must watch. YAMATO and Naruki Doi's performances are out of this world.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_BigEventsFeature

The Dead or Alive's of the past decade are all free right now. 2014 was my first Dragon Gate show and it's an all timer show.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jae superfanned his way into being an official announcer for Dragon Gate, something I think we can all agree is very cool.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate has announced that King of Gate will be going ahead this month in a series of empty arena shows.

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1257664161443528706

Dragon Gate posted:

King of Gate 2020 will take place exclusively on the Dragon Gate Network in the month of May. All matches will be held in empty arenas.
This year will be contested under a tournament format, with 24 competitors split into 3 blocks. The winner from each block will advance to the semifinals. The final semifinal spot will be decided via a special battle royal where a participant who was defeated in tournament play will have the chance to gain entry back in.
The current broadcast schedule is as follows. Dates for the second round and beyond will be announced at a later date.

May 15th, 2020 (Friday 12:00 JST)
〈King of Gate 2020 A Block 1st Round〉
Kzy vs. H・Y・O
YAMATO vs. Ryo Saito
Dragon Kid vs. Diamante
Yosuke♡Santa Maria vs. Susumu Yokosuka

May 16th, 2020 (Saturday 12:00 JST)
〈King of Gate 2020 B Block 1st Round〉
Kaito Ishida vs. Jason Lee
BxB Hulk vs. Keisuke Okuda
Genki Horiguchi vs. KAI
Big R Shimizu vs. Naruki Doi

May 16th, 2020 (Sunday 12:00 JST)
〈King of Gate 2020 C Block 1st Round〉
Kagetora vs. Ben-K
Strong Machine J vs. Eita
Kazma Sakamoto vs. Masaaki Mochizuki
Dragon Dia vs. Takashi Yoshida

Subscribe today at dragongate.live!

I don't know who Dragon Dia pissed off to get put in a singles match against Cyber Kong.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I dunno, watching a show at 10:00pm rather than 3:00am is really nice for me.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lol, Ben-K has really been acquiring mass during quarantine.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate decided instead of spending money to make their network not rear end, that they'd rather use it to get a crane-camera. And heck, they were right.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Also the Dead or Alive Cage Match is happening September 21st. Participants are Eita, BxB Hulk, Big R Shimizu, YAMATO, Kai, and Masato Yoshino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate knows what the people have been missing in quarantine, and it's convoluted bullshit!

First, the main event for the August 12th's Korakuen Hall show.

Dragon Gate English posted:

【The Gate of Adventure 2020 Series Card Information】

August 12th, 2020
Tokyo, Korakuen Hall
The Gate of Adventure 2020

▪️Road to Dangerous Gate Special 6 Way Match
YAMATO vs. KAI vs. Masato Yoshino vs. Eita vs. BxB Hulk vs. Big R Shimizu

The six neutral corner turnbuckle will have the numbers 1-6 hidden at random inside of them. The match will be competed under survival rules, with pinfall, submission, and over the top rope in play. The competitors will be allowed to open a turnbuckle in the order that falls were scored during the match. (For example, Yoshino throws Eita over the rope as the first fall of the match. Yoshino has survived, and gets to pick first. Eita will continue in the match until he scores a fall). The number draw is the number where the competitor will enter the 9/21 steel cage match. In the event that a competitor does not score a fall during the match, they will automatically be assigned the number 6 position. For advantages and disadvantages of entry position, refer to the rules for the steel cage match.

Leading to the cage match at Dangerous Gate on September 21st.

Dragon Gate English posted:

【Dangerous Gage 2020 Steel Cage Rules #1】

September 21st, 2020
Tokyo, Ota City General Gymnasium
Dangerous Gate 2020

▪️Steel Cage 6 Way Match
YAMATO vs. KAI vs. Masato Yoshino vs. Eita vs. BxB Hulk vs. Big R Shimizu

The 6 competitors will enter in order based on numbers drawn on 8/12. 1 & 2 will start the match. 3 will enter after 5 minutes. 4 will enter 4 minutes after 3. 5 will enter 3 minutes after 4, and 6 will enter after another 3 minutes.
As per the usual steel cage rules, a competitor can escape the cage by climbing to the top and retrieving a flag. In the past, the match has started with all 5 flags available. This match will start with only 1, with 1 more added as the next competitor enters. The 5th and final flag will be added when the 6th and final competitor enters. As the 6th competitor will not join the match until 15 minutes have elapsed, they run the risk of only having a small number of flags available to aim for.

Further rules and risk stipulations will be announced.