Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I just got a hold of some NOAH matches from 2005. Once I figure out wtf, I'll post some thoughts.

I'm not going to be able to sit down and check this stuff out until friday. Could anyone offer up how different this is from TNA's style of wrestling?

coconono fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 3, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I got my hands on NOAH's "Navigation With Breeze '05" PPV. I'm only about 45 minutes into it but several things of notes:

-Stiff loving chops. Those dudes leave the ring with these huge welts on their chests.
-Suckyass yankee wrestlers can actually enjoy modicum of respect. Get your rear end on the boat Spanky.
-There indeed exists contract signings that don't end in chair shots.
-crowd reaction is kinda weird. I just watched a dude stomp a another dude's shoulder from teh top rope and the audience didn't even peep. Yet some some dude chops another guy out on the floor and they go beserk.
-I don't speak a word of japanese, so I was somewhat shocked to hear the three count done in english.

coconono fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 9, 2006

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

J-Ro posted:

Edit: Deathmatch Wars #84 / #85 were taped at that event. :)

Holy crap, I think I have those lying around somewhere. Was the female ref there? I think she's ultra-cute.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

Not very, they'd have to shell out for at least 10-15 tickets and that would, like, double the talent cost even spread out over two shows. Plus even big feds struggle to fill Korakuen, so they'd be looking at a couple hundred tickets sold.

They could run it in a smaller venue (and probably would end up barely breaking even). I think it would really depend on if the japanese crowd cares enough about ROH like the east coast kids do.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WeaselWeaz posted:

Anyone know where I can find any HUSTLE stuff, preferably subtitles? It looks entertaining, especially for someone who doesn't watch Puro.

Yeah, that would be nice. However, some of the stuff is best without it because its totally "WTF is going on?", making it even funnier. Like the Hustle Ranger matches (why is the fat one's suit too small?).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

American Balloon is one scary young man.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

This just in:

Simon Inoki has resigned from New Japan. That means we have a wrestling promotion owned in toto by a toy company.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

Which is better than having one run by Simon Inoki.

His leaving means the TNA-NJPW deal is finished, which is why AJPW's Great Muta was at the last TNA PPV. I'm not really too current on AJPW's roster but do they have any decent smaller guys that TNA can use in the X cup(if they even bother with it)?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I just had a chilling thought. The AJPW-TNA deal isn't official yet which means TNA could possibly go with NOAH. That means we could have Morishima with the ROH belt on a TNA PPV.

If Simon goes with his own promotion, he'll be in a bit of a bind. Most of the top tier Japanese talent are already under contract, meaning he'll have to setup a talent development program. From what I understand, Inoki isn't that hot at making stars.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much fantasy booking right there.

While possible, its not highly probable. Just a random scary thought.

So much for Tomko and A-Train holding the IWGP tag belts.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

-NOAH and TNA have started a relationship, and TNA seems to be saying that they won't be tied down to any one Japan promotion

*ahem* OK, enough crowing. This is a good move on TNA's part as it'll allow them much wider access to talent. Now its a matter or seeing how they can utterly screw it up.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

Is it possible the NOAH/TNA relationship only exists for Angle and maybe Joe since it is doubtful AJPW could afford Angle with the rates TNA wants?

Because I really doubt NOAH is going to send anyone of value to TNA.

TNA might get to do the KENTA/Daniels match they promised me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

[russo]They bring in Gail Kim and have her dating KENTA on-air. Then say that Kobashi is KENTA's father. Then it turns out Kobashi is Gail's father and KENTA has been sleeping with his sister. TNA! TNA![/russo]

I feel so dirty :smith:

needs more poles and a series of awkwardly named matches(that might actually be gimmick).

I hope NOAH brings their own booking team when they bring over talent.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Captain Charisma posted:

If anyone gives a poo poo about New Japan, there's a new IWGP champion.

NJPW, 4/13/07 (WPW/PPV)
Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
5,700 Fans

1. El Samurai & Yujiro beat Taichi Ishikari & Mitsuhide Hirasawa (8:14) when Yujiro used a diving headbutt on Hirasawa.
2. Special Tag: Jushin Thunder Liger, Milano Collection AT & BxB Hulk beat Koji Kanemoto, Wataru Inoue & Tetsuya Naito (12:32) when Milano used a backdrop clutch hold on Naito.
3. New Japan vs. GBH: Riki Choshu & Takashi Iizuka beat Toru Yano & Tomoaki Honma (3:52) when Iizuka used a sleeper hold on Honma.
4. Special Singles Match: Manabu Nakanishi beat Orlando Jordan (7:59) with the Hercules Cutter.
5. BLACK vs. GBH: Shinsuke Nakamura & Black Strong Machine beat Togi Makabe & Tomohiro Ishii (11:58) when Nakamura used the Landslide on Ishii.
6. IJ Tag Team Title: Jado & Gedo (c) beat Masaaki Mochizuki & Yasushi Kanda (14:52) when Jado used the Crossface of JADO on Kanda (2nd defense).
7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Minoru (c) beat Ryusuke Taguchi (18:27) with the HEAT clutch (3rd defense).
8. IWGP Tag Team Title: Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko (c) beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Shiro Koshinaka () when Tomko pinned Tenzan after the Magic Killer (1st defense).
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Yuji Nagata beat Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) (23:34) with a backdrop hold to become the 46th champion.

Nice to see that somewhere in the world, some promoter's getting some use out of Tomko and A-Train.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Deathlove posted:

That's more referring to a "yellow stripe down their back", as in a chicken.

I think they also said nipped that in the bud. Hahaha, get it?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gus Sawchuk posted:

I'm currently in Japan and I want to go to a puro show, but it seems like the only one I will be able to fit into my schedule would be the 7/15 NOAH show at Budokan. This is apparently the final show of the tour. I'm not really familiar with NOAH besides the old AJPW guys, but would this show be worth seeing? Do you think there will be some pretty big, worthwhile matches?

NOAH has some pretty awesome juniors(KENTA, Marufuji et al). Their upper card I'm not too keen on but it'd still be a pretty bitching show no matter who is on the card.

Also ROH really likes working with these guys if that means anything.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRayPer posted:

Poor Danielson, NOAH is jobbing the gently caress out of Richards on this tour which means Danielson is losing like every match :(

I believe Richards had committed some kind of cultural faux paux by screaming like a girl every time he kicked someone. Either that or KENTA requested he be put on the learning tree.

AmDrag has also shown up on NOAH shows before(I believe) so he's probably going to have a mixed run unless the promoters go apeshit over him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

:siren: NOAH's director Ryu Nakata said on Samurai TV that Samoa Joe was coming to NOAH's show in Yokohama on October 25th. :siren:

:dance:

whooo. Finally, Joe gets to work a proper match again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

Apparently NOAH has been asking for him for a couple months, and they recently announced having a working agreement with TNA. TNA's getting a lot of recognition at the moment, Akiyama had his eye on Joe for a while, there you go. He won't do tours but he might be important enough now to warrant getting flown in for one/a couple shows.

The only thing I'm worried about is if Joe wins the GHC(?) Heavyweight title and TNA does yet another "hay! lets fight over this big pile of belts!!!1" angle.

How is IGF faring without its main title?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

coagulate posted:

According to Wikipedia, Gordy didn't want to job to Hogan, but Hansen was cool with it.

Speaking of Hansen, I just saw his 1990 match with Steve Williams. Decent old-fashioned brawl, but I marked like crazy for the first lariat I've ever seen Hansen do. Holy poo poo that is awesome.

Hansen is a loon. Have you seen the 89(or was it 93?) match between him and Vader. He hits Vader so hard, Vader's eye pops out.

Spoiled in case you want to keep that a surprise.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/70421
THIS WEEK: I crush the dreams of Samoa Joe fans. And with gusto.

:(

I could live with Misawa and Joe going to a one hour draw. Just put Misawa on a heavy cardio routine and he'll hang in there fine.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

More NJ 1/4/08 matches: Tanahashi vs Nakamura for the real IWGP title, and Hirooki Goto vs Great Muta. Could we see dueling Muta Scales?!

Did I miss something? Muta is working for New Japan again? Isn't he the president of the AJPW?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

for some strange reason, I've been really enjoying NOSAWA matches lately. He comes out, does his garbage stuff and then, in true Japanese fashion, HE CLEANS UP AFTER HIMSELF. That last part makes me giggle everytime.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Capsaicin posted:

So er, I'm watching Samurai Fighting TV, and I see a lot of a guy dressed in a maid costume with kitty ears. Who is this?

I'm wondering too because the guy is in FPR. Or maybe its a different dude in a maid costume.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

Lastest Inoki show featured them flying in Angle to face... no, not Josh Barnett as rumored... no, not Booker, who was advertised... but KENDO KASHIN. Booker wrestled... no wait all he did was appear in a recorded message. Tadao Yasuda wrestled twice.

Wow.

I wonder who screwed that up. TNA or IGF.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The_Rob posted:

I have always been a fan of Nosawa. He doesn't have 5 star matches, but he is a very entertaining wrestler with a unique look. So he is good in my book. You don't have to be great. Just entertain me.

That's the way I feel about wrestling in general and why I love puro. You take the oldschool guys like Misawa and stack them against the likes of Hogan in terms of wrestling goodness, Misawa and his ilk always bring something entertaining.

EDIT: Don't post and have stuff break.

coconono fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 22, 2007

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Here's another one for file of coco's the last to know:

http://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=264&id=2434

ROH's store would like you to know about this NOAH DVD posted:

All Matches in Full length/uncut!
with English Commentary & Graphics!

I don't know if the other NOAH dvds have english commentary, but that would be awesome.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Random Dragon Gate thought:
Yoshino is the man. He reversed a Suicide Dive with a chair shot.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All I got for Beast:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMW_Brass_Knuckles_Heavyweight_Championship

minimal info on Blayman:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuhiro_Matsunaga

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Dr. Muscle mask? I'm digging it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I just became a huge Tiger Mask mark. Thank you, internet!

http://highspots.com/product.asp?id=18378&category=0

GOGO TIGAH!

Also, I've had this for the longest time but never found a match listing:

http://highspots.com/product.asp?id=18089&category=0

coconono fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 9, 2008

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

HwoodNG posted:

From DGUSA:

I love KENTA and Shingo. BB and Taiji are great punching bags.

So do NOAH and Dragon Gate have a working relationship or is this a one time thing?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Isn't it some kind of tradition that RG gets brutally murdered every now and then? I vaguely remember Bob Sapp teeing off on him towards the end of last year.

Also, Kawada/Misawa vs. Gordy/Williams. Brilliant match. Those plucky Japanese guys gritted out a drubbing. Ny favorite scene was Williams striding back over to tag Gordy as Misawa and Kawada are laying there, utterly destroyed.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

coconono posted:

Also, Kawada/Misawa vs. Gordy/Williams. Brilliant match. Those plucky Japanese guys gritted out a drubbing. Ny favorite scene was Williams striding back over to tag Gordy as Misawa and Kawada are laying there, utterly destroyed.

here's mah crappy screencap of this:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Maybe its a sign that Misawa has found someone to pass the torch onto. As much as it galls him, he and Kobashi won't be wrestling forever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Captain Charisma posted:

Uh I don't think Misawa is really protective of "his spot" whatsoever dude.

I agree. I also think that Misawa is conscious of the international interest NOAH creates. Therefore its in the best interest of the business to keep putting the belt on internationally recognized stars.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply some Jeff Jarrett kind of conspiracy or anything.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Okay I didn't think it could get any more bizarre, until I learnt he was singing about being the girl with the small bottom and begging people to look at his bosom.

OH wow. I knew I heard that song from before. Its from one of my favorite fan service live action shows.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

Thankfully we know DG hooking up with PWG in LA will be dandy, and the fed in Hawaii has been standup with puro stars in the past, so nothing odd should happen this time.

is that the fed run by Don Mauroco?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sweet. I didn't figure that Hawaii would have two promotions considering you can ride a bike from one end of the main island to the other in a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

If you're using firefox, try opening it in IE. That's what fixed it for me.

or updating your firefox.