Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riban
Feb 11, 2004

by Ozma
Directed by: (not on IMDB and I left my film guide in utah)
Starring: (not on IMDB and I left my film guide in utah)

A winner at sundance (At this point I must beg forgiveness from my fellow forum members, that I do not have pertinent information such as actors, directors, what award it won, etc. I left my film guide in utah, where sundance is located and where I spent a weekend), Dear Pyongyang examines a family living in Japan, expatriated from korea for over 40 years. The family patriarch vows constant dedication to North Korea, despite a poignant awareness of the struggles his three sons must endure, who were sent to live in North Korea decades past.
The documentarian is the family's one daughter, a filmmaker living in New York with no allegiance towards North Korea.
In the film, the parents and the documenting daughter return to North Korea to celebrate the parent's anniversary with the entire family. The film portrays a sentimental exposure to the state of modern North Korea.

While I do not know if this has achieved any US distribution, it seems of the right caliber to be sent to DVD by some pseudo-indepednant distributor, at least.

RATING: 5

PROS: Touching documentary that focuses on a family but conveys a greater issue.
CONS: Seemed drawn out at the end of its 70 minutes, yet still had closure lacking.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0492454/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU