Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Curseword
Mar 21, 2006
You Know What You Did...
Directed by: James Cameron
Starring: Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, Michael Biehn

Growing up, on of the films I watched over and over on VHS was James Cameron’s 1989 Thriller “The Abyss”. I loved every moment of it, from the first crash of the US army sub by a strange unknown force, to the final encounter with the N.T.Is. the film was sharp, intelligent, exciting, and masterful. The acting was genuine and involving, and the story original, but also hinted at other great classics like “Alien”, “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”, and “The Day The Earth Stood Still”.

I watched the film so many times that I wore through to new VHS copies in 10 years. So recently, with the death of my last VHS copy I decided to make the jump to DVD. I was excited to find that one of my favorite films was available in a 2 disc special edition box, with a brand new version of the film including a “dramatic new ending”. I had earlier purchased “Aliens” and was pleased with James Cameron’s special edition version of that film, preferring it over the original.

I immediately turned on the special edition version of the film “The Abyss” as soon as I got home, and for the most part was pleased with the earlier newly added scenes. But then came the new “Ending”. Mr. Cameron… what have you done to my beloved movie…

For those of you unfamiliar with the film. “The Abyss” was released in 1989, after the success of Cameron’s “Aliens”. The film was ambitious, expensive, and generally well received. In truth the film is more a kin to Ridley Scott’s original “Alien”, then with Cameron’s sequel.

The film takes place 20 000 Fathoms below the Pacific Ocean. At the beginning of the film a US navy nuclear submarine, floating like a long steel goliath through the cold dark waters tracks a strange signal on there Sonar. The signal changes directions rapidly, accelerates to impossible speeds, and as one sonar operator notes “[the noise it gives off] Doesn’t even sound like screws”. The signal passes close to the sub, every system goes offline, and the sub crashes violently, not before launching an emergency buoy

Enter the US Navy, there large war ships floating over an experimental underwater oilrig 20 000 below. The company that owns the rig has graciously turned over operations to the navy, who intend to use it in a rescue operation for the downed sub. The head of the rig, Bud (Ed Harris) isn’t too happy with this. But with the arrival of trained US Navy SEALS, and his notably angry ex-wife, he cooperates.

From there its tension, fear, and thrilling excitement as the Rig becomes separated from it’s lifeline to the surface by a violent hurricane that cripples the ships above and causes wide spread casualties. Isolated and alone in an underwater rig that is so noticeably claustrophobic were reminded of the dark Nostromo from the film “Alien”. The SEALS leader, Lt. Coffee begins suffering from pressure sickness, and in a great performance by Michael Biehn begins to go steadily crazy, and become violent.

Then there are the Aliens. Strange underwater creatures that at first seem ominous and threatening gradually evolve into wondrous peaceful creatures a kin to Spielberg’s aliens in “Close Encounters”. They become curious about the humans and there rig, and in a spectacular special effects sequence for the 80’s, a sentient water tactical explores the rig, and interacts with the crew.

Coffee however grows suspicious of the creatures, and in his demented mind sees the only solution to there “invasion” is there annihilation at the hands of a salvaged nuclear warhead. This leads to a suspenseful “which wire do I cut” sequence with is given added suspense by the fact that the cutter can’t tell the difference between the blue wire and the red wire. And finally we are spared the obligatory movie cliché of a bright red digital readout counting down the seconds.

As I mentioned earlier the new footage and scenes work well through out most of the film. Were given added sequence depicting the normal operations on the rig before it’s taken over by the navy, more development of the love/hate relationship between Bud, and his estranged ex-wife (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) and a couple for scenes of suspense during the two major action sequences. But when it came to the ending, Mr. Cameron dropped the ball.

Through out the film there are added scenes of newscast depicting the increasing tension between the Soviet Union, and the United States. And near the end of the film, both sides seem poised to destroy each other in a nuclear war. The aliens, after bringing Bud into there fantastic underwater city do something that seems so grossly out of character that it turns the film into a preachy morality play. The new longer ending seems to spoil the film. It ruins all the mystery and wonder about the aliens, and destroys any sense of subtlety the film once had.

I’m just thankful that the DVD contains the same old theatrical release that I have grown up to love.

4 – 5.5

RATING: 4

PROS: Great Acting, Supurb Special Effects, Fantastic Story
CONS: New Matrial Does Great Disservice to Film

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096754/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU