Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Euphoria
Jan 19, 2006
Directed by: Jessica Sharzer
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Steve Zahn, Elizabeth Perkins, D.b. Sweeny,

While trying to find information about this movie online, it became apparent to me that this movie is pretty underground. It hasn't been promoted or seen as much as I believe it should have been, even though it was an official selection at Sundance ( not sure what that means) The few reviews I found on it gave nothing but praise.

Since many people aren't familiar with this movie, I will give a brief summary to give you insight into what this movie is about

The movies story is based on the book "speak" by Laurie Anderson. It revolves around a disturbed freshman girl (Kristen Stewart) who goes from being a popular well adjusted teenager to an outcast who is rejected and ridiculed by not only her friends, but the entire school. She is ostracized and tormented because she called the cops at an end of the year party, where many of her friends were apprehended by the police. To the ignorance of everyone around her, Melinda was raped at the party. Being to emotionally devastated and to afraid to speak out, Melinda bottles up all her frustration and plays the role of a selective mute, moping through life and just going through the motions at school.

There are some actress’s that are just born to play certain roles, that is the case with Kristen Stewart in the movie "speak". Kristen Stewart's tone of voice, her appearance, her mannerisms, every detail of her performance conforms perfectly with building her character. Her performance can only be described as "TO REAL" The way she promotes this dull, depressed, callous and disturbed teenage girl is absolutely amazing, you couldn’t fault the movie in anyway regarding her performance, it is the best aspect of the movie.

You can really connect and feel genuine pity and empathy for her character, her trauma is so real and it really effects you, especially because what she went through is completely plausible in real life. It seems like something that could have or might have happened at one of the parties I or anyone else have been to.

If you recieve the movie at all like I did you will become fixated at her attempt to escape from life, to curl up and ignore what happened...and be further captivated by the gradual process of her finding herself with the help of her art teacher (Steve Zhan - Also great in the movie), who indirectly enables her to express the pain and misery that was caused by the traumatic event through his inspiring assignments and general guidance.

I would also like to emphasize that the movie also succesfully adds a comedic tilt. Melindas only friend would talk endlessly ( Allison Siko) to her with enthusiasm while Melinda just nodded occasionally. Also the appearance of a crazy, frazzly looking english teacher was pretty amusing and Steve Zahn was also pretty funny.. so this movie wasn't completely morbid

To summerize, the movie emotionally riveted me from beginning to end, I felt a very somber connection with this girl, and the misery she was feeling after being raped. I truly felt for her. The end of the movie which involved a chilling and heart wrenching scene was so perfectly played I can't even begin to describe it.

If you want something different, something out of the mainstream that is in fact just as good as any mainstream movie out there, this movie is perfect.

RATING: 5

PROS: Kristen Stewart, Kristen Stewart, Kristen Stewart,
CONS: There was a part where several amateur actors (they actually went to the school it was being filmed at) screwed up, but that part of the scene was in the background and not the focus of the scene anyway

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378793/

Euphoria fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiler
Nov 14, 2005
Melancholy Knight
I too found this movie to be very good. As a fan of the book, I can also vouche for the fact that the movie does it justice. The cast fits the movie perfectly, and Steve Zahn is always fun to watch on screen.

When I first saw that it was a movie on the Lifetime channel, I was a bit put off. But, the movie turned out to be great and I enjoyed the time spent watching it.