Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Directed by: Dennis Dugan
Starring: Rob Schneider, David Spade, Jon Heder, Jon Lovitz

From the bowels of comedic sweatshop Happy Madison productions comes another movie celebrating the virtues of nerd-dom and the inevitable moral victory of the underdogs versus the oppressors. Wait, that was way too eloquent of an introduction for this movie and anyone who'd get enjoyment out of it. Here, let me make it more fitting: POOP! BOOGERS! STAR WARS! FARTS! :lol: That should pretty much sum up the entire movie.

The plot is incidental and nothing you've never seen before. Just pour equal servings of Napoleon Dynamite, Sandlot, Bad News Bears, and Waterboy in a bucket, swish vigorously, fart in it, and you have The Benchwarmers. Taking cues from past Post-SNL crew gigs, this movie is filled with gratuitous cameos, toilet humor, and ranks of characters with bizarre personality defects who take up screen time for no apparent reason.

To this point, you are probably wondering why I've rated movie anything above "minus 4 billion." I'll tell you why: Because even though the humor is contrived, stupid, totally immature, and outmoded if you're past the third grade, it's still funny. This isn't one of those movies that makes you laugh because the characters are clever, or because the writing is good, or because you get any sense of personal satisfaction out of it. This movie is good because it takes a lovely script with lovely b-list comedians, rolls around in a big pile of stupid, and runs naked screaming through the halls wearing a crash helmet and waving a light saber.

My fiancee, a firm opponent of anything Rob Schneider touches (she punched me - hard - for making her sit through Deuce Bigalow) found herself laughing literally into a sobbing fit more than once through the movie. If you were ever picked on for being a nerd in school (essentially what Benchwarmers tries to focus on), or if you like the bottom-scraping, farts-are-funny, mega-groaner humor of Waterboy and its ilk, or just have some strange genetic defect that makes you think Jon Lovitz and David Spade are absolutely hilarious, go see this movie.

If you hated Napoleon Dynamite or are searching for anything that makes more sense than "Dude, Where's My Car" you'll probably hate this movie and hate me for giving it a good rating. See at your own risk, don't expect much, but expect to laugh if you're in the right frame of mind. Regress.

RATING: 4.25

PROS: Relateable characters, snappy (if stupid) humor.
CONS: Trite, predictable plot. Another

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0437863/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenny
Jul 4, 2003

Hmm. Something's Not Right Here.
I saw this movie last night, and, I must say, I absolutely hated it. The plot was so far-fetched and idiotic that I was constantly repeating "You've got to be kidding me" to myself during the movie. Their are some funny jokes, but I would say that they are not worth sitting through this terrible movie.

I usually like stupid "farts are funny" movies, but this movie just seemed to be missing something critical.

Rating: 1.0

Jizzle Drizzle
Feb 7, 2005

SKIBI DOO BOP I’M DA SCAT MAN
I saw this movie a few days ago, as a favor for a little kid I know. Let me say I was not looking forward to it. The Jizzer is right though. It's actually a funny movie for what it is. I wouldn't compare it to some more intellectually funny movies, but this is just one of those "feel good" movies where you can turn off your brain and laugh at the stupid people.

Rating: 4.0

Joe Rogue
Apr 11, 2006
WHEN I SEE VOMIT, I THINK OF GIRLS
I saw the movie 2 days ago and loved it. I am a fan or the 4 main actors so it helped alot. There is alot of stupid-funny stuff through out the movie. It is by far not comedy gold but worth seeing for shits and giggles. All in all good fun movie. Now go see it damnit!

I give it a bad rear end 4.

Ian: This is a great movie!
John's dad: You think this is great, wait till you see your first pair of tits. Your going to be amazed.
Ian: Funny you say that. I had sex with your daughter, she has amazing tits.
John's dad: Walks away speechless.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think this movie is classic, I've seen it a bunch of times now, I just love it.
It's a bit more rididulous than other Happy Madisons, because once again the whole thing is set up so they people don't have responsibilities, they just get to do stupid poo poo.

I like all the actors in a cheesy way in this movie, I love the line when that baseball player turns out "look it's Mr T" "no way that's Dr Dre" and just the subtlety of Jon Heder.
I hope I watch this movie every couple of years.

4.5/5