Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Directed by: Wolfgang Petersen
Starring: Josh Lucas, Kurt Russell, Richard Dreyfuss

quote:

While ringing in the new year aboard the cruise ship Poseidon, a giant wave crashes into the ship and flips it upside down. A ragtag group of survivors realize their only chance is to make their way to the deepest bowels of the ship, now at the top, if they are going to have any chance of getting out.

I caught a free sneak of this tonight and I had alot of fun. The film is nothing special, in fact it's pretty much a carbon copy of every other disaster flick you've seen, but it's still very enjoyable, and you'll most likely find yourself pretty thoroughly engaged.

One of the things I thought they could've done was add more character development, especially for the Josh Lucas character. Each main character gets about two minutes of characterization, and I don't think that was enough for the audience to sympathize for the survivors. Also the dialogue is pretty corny but hey, you don't go to this kind of movie for an Oscar-winning script.

Poseidon is a good time. Very formulaic, but still enjoyable. Be sure to lower your expectations and leave whatever tendency you have to analyze the hell out of movies at the door.

edit: meant to vote it 2.5

RATING: 2.5

PROS: Solid action/diaster movie
CONS: Really nothing special (formula to the core), lack of character development

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0409182/

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 11, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardowned
Oct 28, 2004
I saw this with a group of friends tonight.

It sucked. We were mostly laughing at the crappy acting/dialogue/cliche plot the whole time.

Basically, the boat gets hit by a wave and Josh Lucas feels like leaving so he does. He brings along a girl with her son, an old gay guy, some random chick, and a hot girl with her dad and fiancee. They climb and cross a lot of things, each time narrowly escaping death by fire or drowning. The acting sucked immensely with stupid little one-liners meant to evoke suspense but failing. The movie ended like you would imagine.

There was practically zero character development in this film. So little that I only remember Josh Lucas' character's name and CONNER because his mom wouldn't stop yelling CONNER the whole movie. I didn't give a poo poo when the random chick died or when they all got saved.

If you need something to do to waste time I guess you could see this, but if you want to watch a decent disaster movie I suggest looking elsewhere.

Rating: 1.5/5

PROS: It was funny. Especially when the old gay guy kicked Valentine in the face to save himself, the old gay guy got hit in the face by the hatch to the prop, and when the dad drowned. Also, the hot girl was hot and the shirt she was wearing showed a good amount of cleavage.

CONS: Everything else.

Manic Shampoo
Feb 9, 2004

Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale!
I'll make a few comparisons to the original. If you haven't seen the original, you may want to avoid this review as it may contain a few spoilers. It will also have a few minor spoilers about the movie, major spoilers will be put into spoiler text.

One thing a movie needs is characters you find interesting and can relate too. They don't have to be good characters, they just need to be characters that you actually care about.

Poseidon lacked this trait.

In the original the characters weren't developed much, but you still cared about them. They had a certain charm and you didn't know who was going to live and who was going to die. About the only two characters you knew were probably safe were the brother and sister, but the two kids had a certain charm to them that you were rooting for them to make it.

About 5 minutes into the movie I realized I was going to hate this piece of poo poo. It wasn't a direct remake of the original, as this movie has all new characters. All of the classic scenes in the original are missing in this one.

None of the characters you're able to relate too. I can't even remember what the lead character did for a living but it wasn't anything dramatic or interesting like a preacher. Other than the lead character, everyone else was a rich white person except the girl who died.

It's down right predictable, with the little boy being the most annoying character ever. As soon as I saw that kid I groaned...and I spent the whole movie hoping for the boy to die a painful slow death.

We're suppose to care that the frat pig boyfriend asked the ditzy rich girl to marry her? Oh but the father has some tension with the frat pig! This is the biggest drama in the movie! Did I mention the father is the former mayor of New York? Yes, the former of mayor of New York! Of course His death was predictable and retarded and you cheered for all the wrong reasons.

The movie has serious racist undertones. But I'd argue it was also mysogynist. The women in the movie are nothing more than screaming worthless idiots. They do absolutly NOTHING to help out. This isn't like the original with the fat woman saving the day. It's the white men being brave while the women were meek and submissive. To save the boyfriend they need a man to help them! Of course, why the boyfriend was able to move around when it appeared he had serious leg injuries I'll never understand. But I don't understand how the little kid got trapped in that cage either (and needed one of the big strong men to come save him while his mom stood there all helpless!).

The movie is a giant shipwreck much like the actual Poseidon. I give it a 1 because it was a short movie.

ColonelSanderson
May 18, 2006
Music for your stomach.
Huge lack of review and image leeching removed by Ozma, have a nice day!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

It definitely lacked character development but it had the essence of a popcorn flick and no more-- while I wouldn't really characterize it as a "good" movie by any means (it had some laughable parts) it was fun to see if you're willing to ignore science and decide there's little point in actually caring about characters.

Titanic seemed kind of brutal to me but this was worse, they really make sure you see how everyone is dying!

3.0- I'll never really need to see it again but I expected little and it really was entertaining for me. It's also pretty short too, which is a huge bonus. I loathe super-long movies, especially action ones like this. It didn't drag on too long at all.