Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Heckler & Kochblocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Jehde posted:

They finally found a demonstrable fault with the G36 platform.

Simply fold the stock. Superior german design let down by user error. G36 still the best rifle ever produced.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE8HNzUWTcw

In case you've never seen them, the Danish Navy has the Sirius sled dog patrol. Every 5 years or so, the 12-man team patrols the wilderness of northern Greenland to check on the environment and condition of the national park. It takes 26 months and crosses over 5000 miles.

Because of the risk of being attacked by polar bears and musk oxen, they're equipped with M1917 Enfields (loaded with a 3:1 ratio of AP and hollow points) and Glock 20s.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, Gun Nutt responded to Paul Harrel's response to Gun Nutt's video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpC-bx157bg

I haven't watched this because it's an hour long, and while a one-hour Paul Harrell video is guaranteed to be worth the price of admission, either ironically or not, this guy... I doubt it. I may come back to it tomorrow.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

tl;dr - "I'm not owned, YOU'RE owned!"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Am I a bad person for hoping that Yankee Marshal gets involved somehow, and the three of these people keep releasing progressively longer videos? (Feel free to say yes if that's your opinion; I'm a bad person for a lot of reasons, and I've come to terms with it. I just need to know if I have to add this to the list.)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

An hour of Paul Harrell is about 2 hours more than Iíd want to spend watching him. Which says something because Caleb is always the weakest panel member on the P&S podcasts he appears on

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I only lasted a few minutes of both the response and the response-to-the-response. I gotta give the W to Harrell, if only because Caleb pulled out the "I'm not mad. Actually, I'm laughing" defense and that equals an automatic loss.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I'm not gonna watch the other guy's video, and made it as far as Paul's talk about how he was only replying because he was advised he legally had to (yeah, I bet) but I'm pro anybody who makes Harrell upset.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

DeesGrandpa posted:

I'm not gonna watch the other guy's video, and made it as far as Paul's talk about how he was only replying because he was advised he legally had to (yeah, I bet) but I'm pro anybody who makes Harrell upset.

Making Harrell upset seems really easy. He is an authority, though!! His video on authorities says so!

I couldn't handle him actually recommending counting your rounds so you wouldn't go into slide lock.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Lightbulb Out posted:

Making Harrell upset seems really easy. He is an authority, though!! His video on authorities says so!

I couldn't handle him actually recommending counting your rounds so you wouldn't go into slide lock.

One of his videos (the Ruger 57 one I think) he talks about hunting deer with an FN Fiveseven and missing the vitals so he had to shoot it multiple times. He goes to the range and finds out that his sights were knocked out of alignment while hiking, and then takes the Fiveseven out deer hunting again. The sights get pushed out of alignment (again), and he fails to hit a vital organ (again), so he has to track it down to finish it off.

Paul Harrell just goin' out maiming deer like it ain't no thang.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Trillhouse posted:

One of his videos (the Ruger 57 one I think) he talks about hunting deer with an FN Fiveseven and missing the vitals so he had to shoot it multiple times. He goes to the range and finds out that his sights were knocked out of alignment while hiking, and then takes the Fiveseven out deer hunting again. The sights get pushed out of alignment (again), and he fails to hit a vital organ (again), so he has to track it down to finish it off.

Paul Harrell just goin' out maiming deer like it ain't no thang.

Isnít the Five-Seven not even close to recommended for deer anyway?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Isnít the Five-Seven not even close to recommended for deer anyway?

It would be legal in Virginia but I'd never hunt with it. It's got the muzzle energy of like a 357 magnum from a quick google search, which I would not hunt with either, though it is certainly a thing that is done.

e: Well, might be. I don't actually know at what point the DGIF considers a bore larger than .22 lr.... but it does meet the minimum energy req.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 14, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Lightbulb Out posted:

Was that in a defensive or competitive context? That's very common in competition, but I question my ability to count while so much of my focus in a self-defense situation would likely be on maintaining control of my bowels.

Muzzle energy on a 5.7 from a 16" PS90 might be close to muzzle energy on a .357 revolver, but nowhere close on a pistol barrel, the numbers I'm finding have it at 350 - 400 foot-pounds from a 10.5" P90 barrel. Also the whole <40gr bullet seems iffy on a deer even if you're using FMJ.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 15, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Was that in a defensive or competitive context? That's very common in competition, but I question my ability to count while so much of my focus in a self-defense situation would likely be on maintaining control of my bowels.

Muzzle energy on a 5.7 from a 16" PS90 might be close to muzzle energy on a .357 revolver, but nowhere close on a pistol barrel, the numbers I'm finding have it at 350 - 400 foot-pounds from a 10.5" P90 barrel. Also the whole <40gr bullet seems iffy on a deer even if you're using FMJ.

I didnít watch it, but Paulís videos are almost entirely about defensive gun usage. I donít even think he shoots competitively.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

chitoryu12 posted:

I didnít watch it, but Paulís videos are almost entirely about defensive gun usage. I donít even think he shoots competitively.

You should go comment that so he can make an hour long video as a rebuttal

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'd never even heard of this dude until the last month or so and every single thing I've heard about him has made me hate him more

edit: I've stopped listening to P&S episodes because Caleb was talking too much, but somehow Harrell is such a dangerously stupid blowhard that he's coming off even worse

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I interpreted it that way - it certainly wasn't in a competitive context. The fact that he mentioned it a number of times, and then in another video was talking about it again was just a little thing that I thought was bad advice to be putting out there. IIRC it was in regards to new shooters. Harrell is one of those guys that knows - just ask him.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I like most of Harrell's videos.

Then again, most of the videos of his that I've watched are the ones he compares one cartridge or firearm to another, and goes over the pros and cons of each. I especially enjoy the time he takes to demonstrate certain things, like the comparative power of different rounds, or the power of a single round when fired from a variety of firearms (usually with barrel length being the main factor). The videos he did on the Taurus Judge convinced me that the Judge, and by extension the Governor, is a neat gimmick gun that's worthless by nearly any other metric.

Sure, shooting a meat target is a little goofy, but at least it's not the TFR guy telling me that the reason I prefer a Mini-14 over an AR-15 is because I'm too much of a pussy.

Besides, I just love the way that Paul's videos end. He has his tagline, which in and of itself is a little goofy (and I don't think it's intentional), and then it cuts to a big title card with his name, right in the middle of a distorted guitar note whose attack was clearly cut off by at least a couple of beats. It's so amateurish that it just has to be done badly on purpose... and I know, I know, it's not.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Now here's some real guntube drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VCRFVMpSc8

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

I oversteep my tea and don't really care about the colour, I also don't use any milk. Might as well be the xbox vs playstation console war to me.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yes by making tea you're doing it wrong, I agree

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I noticed they missed the steps where you pour the hot water into a french press full of coffee so what are they even doing with their lives

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

I noticed they missed the steps where you pour the hot water into a french press full of coffee so what are they even doing with their lives

Correct but one of those Vietnamese drip things

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Something something toss it into the harbor.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, look at you fools who think that you can only like one beverage.

I've got me some fancy gently caress loose leaf teas that taste amazing, and I've got some really good coffee.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

If you're not starting the day in the era of COVID-19 with a vodka red bull I don't know what to tell you.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

mischief posted:

If you're not starting the day in the era of COVID-19 with a vodka red bull I don't know what to tell you.

The entire work from home community is on airport rules and it's a wonderful destructive thing

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

The entire work from home community is on airport rules and it's a wonderful destructive thing

Nah, only the newbies.

For the new WAH folks, today is part vacation, part work, many parts distractions, etc. For me, it's Wednesday.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Nah, only the newbies.

For the new WAH folks, today is part vacation, part work, many parts distractions, etc. For me, it's Wednesday.

Probably fair. I'm not a wfh fan right now aside from the commute savings/being able to sign on hungover as poo poo at 6am and bill it. Looking forward to the office reopening

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7kNaKmH4kM

Dunno how I feel about the vid but love the concept. Karl is a rad shitposter.

e: Silence of the lambs is an almost perfect film and one I watched a few months ago most recently but still need to rewatch.

DeesGrandpa fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 16, 2020

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to work.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

DeesGrandpa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7kNaKmH4kM

Dunno how I feel about the vid but love the concept. Karl is a rad shitposter.

e: Silence of the lambs is an almost perfect film and one I watched a few months ago most recently but still need to rewatch.

At first I was all "Mom, Karl is shitposting again!" but the ending part with the chorus and the goop ties it all together.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Proč bychom se netěöili kdyě nŠm PŠn Bůh zdravŪ dŠ?

DeesGrandpa posted:

Correct but one of those Vietnamese drip things

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Heh. I enjoyed this little segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IklTy7shTAU#t=146s

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Is the the right place to ask for a "best of" primary and secondary podcast selection? By whatever criteria you want, most informative, funniest, had your favorite guest, etc.

I've never listened to it, and would like to, but I'm not going to make it a regular thing, so I'd like to try working my way through a choice dozen-ish. Definitely gonna listen to the Paul Harrell one.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

That's rough, just because they cover such a wide variety of topics that it's hard to single one out with some additional criteria.

Are you looking for stuff on civilian defensive shooting, technical gun nerdery, performance gun nerdery, competition in a defensive context?

The Paul Harrel discussion is in the beginning of Quarantine Open Mic 1. :edit: Quarantine Open Mic 4 about 30 min in.

MantisClaw fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 6, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is the the right place to ask for a "best of" primary and secondary podcast selection? By whatever criteria you want, most informative, funniest, had your favorite guest, etc.

I've never listened to it, and would like to, but I'm not going to make it a regular thing, so I'd like to try working my way through a choice dozen-ish. Definitely gonna listen to the Paul Harrell one.

Gun related or just any topic?

The Dollop is probably the most consistently funny podcast I've ever encountered. The two main presenters are both veteran stand up comedians and it shows. They talk about the most ridiculous things in history and I've learned a lot from their comedy podcast.

They are both pretty left/liberal/whatever the gently caress phrase won't get me yelled at, but it isn't something that comes up a ton until recently. Even then, they are normally doings stories about long dead murderers and slavers so it's not like their bias really changes anything.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sorry, by casting a wider net I meant to make it easier for anyone to recommend episodes they particularly liked. So, with the caveat that I'd try any episode anyone recommended, let's say I'm most interested in self defense and "practical" competition.

Edit: I don't find much time for the Dollop these days, but I'm never disappointed when I do. And 10 cent beer night is an all time great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sorry, by casting a wider net I meant to make it easier for anyone to recommend episodes they particularly liked. So, with the caveat that I'd try any episode anyone recommended, let's say I'm most interested in self defense and "practical" competition.

Edit: I don't find much time for the Dollop these days, but I'm never disappointed when I do. And 10 cent beer night is an all time great.

The Reagan two parter with Patton Oswalt is "spit out your drink" funny.