Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Kageneko posted:

I will hold you too this in 2050 when we're using 32,000 x 28,000 or some poo poo.

By then we'll hopefully be able to plug into the matrix and not need low-tech poo poo like visual devices any more :megaman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Wiseblood posted:

Is there a header or something that tells you where an image is linked to? The only way I can see this so called "automatic" banning system working is if it retrieves the HTML of every page referrer and checks that. That's not something I see someone who is no doubt paying a lot of money for bandwith doing.

Yeah, he would have to download and go through each page manually. It wouldn't be impossible to do, and the only practical way would be to check only the top sites, every few hundred hits or so.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Mayor Wilkins posted:

Me. I don't mind, really. But I get to lash back. That's the deal.

I'll lash you good then run away and you will have no lashing back

:argh:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Macbeth posted:

The reason ImageShack banned somethingawful.com and its associated IP address is because Radium started rewriting ImageShack backlinks to a different site other than ImageShack. He could have actually solved the user problem, but he decided to redirect to a different site instead of actually stripping out the URL.

For instance:

THIS IS OK:

[ url=http://imageshack.us ] [ img ] someimage [ /img ] [ /url ]
[ img ] someimage [ /img ]

THIS IS NOT OK:

[ url=http://someOtherSite.com ] [ img ] someimage [ /img ] [ /url]

As soon as Radium ceases the system-wide url rewriting, Somethingawful.com and its associated IP address will be unbanned and all images will be show up immediately.

You might have a problem with Radium/lowtax/whatever, and thats your perogative. But remember your also loving over the general userbase of SA with this, who AREN'T radium/lowtax/whatever.

I dunno man. Maybe you need to PM radium and try and work out something that works for everyone.

Regardless;-
http://www.stardrifter.org/refcontrol/

kltpzyxm*
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma

adwkiwi posted:

None of it. Its repeating what Macbeth said and then saying "you're only pissed off because of that". Its a tautology at the very least.

OK, try this: surely this is as if Radium bought a Coke, ripped off the wrapper and put a Pepsi label on it. Same content, credited to a different location. Am I wrong?

I would be pissed because pepsi is awesome and sweet, whereas coke tastes like bitter crap.

oh and imageshack sucks because pics posted with imageshack dont do that nifty automatically resize thing when quoted. I'm not sure if thats part of the SALR extension, but I like it and imageshack links ruin it.

Herr Ottomator
Dec 7, 2004
H AND K H AND K H AND K

tres dessert posted:

Jesus christ people does an image hosting service going down merit a 32 page forum-wide hissy fit

It does when it breaks a lot of the forum.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Mayor Wilkins posted:

Aww. That's not really fair. There's not much one can do after being hit with the banning whip.

Anyways, I think someone should make another goon-run host, and actually run it professionally. None of that kth.cx bullshit.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Mayor Wilkins posted:

You're like so fat, and you probably would taste of beetroot if simmered for 45 minutes if I was that way inclined culinary speaking.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Macbeth posted:

The reason ImageShack banned somethingawful.com and its associated IP address is because Radium started rewriting ImageShack backlinks to a different site other than ImageShack. He could have actually solved the user problem, but he decided to redirect to a different site instead of actually stripping out the URL.

For instance:

THIS IS OK:

[ url=http://imageshack.us ] [ img ] someimage [ /img ] [ /url ]
[ img ] someimage [ /img ]

THIS IS NOT OK:

[ url=http://someOtherSite.com ] [ img ] someimage [ /img ] [ /url]

As soon as Radium ceases the system-wide url rewriting, Somethingawful.com and its associated IP address will be unbanned and all images will be show up immediately.

i dont know about anyone else but i always deleted the link to imageshack on the picture before i posted it because it was annoying as hell

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

tres dessert posted:

Jesus christ people does an image hosting service going down merit a 32 page forum-wide hissy fit

I think you mean a 33 page forum-wide hissy fit.

Macbeth
Jan 30, 2003

E_Motion posted:

True, but wouldn't just sending radium/Lowtax a PM or mail or whatever be the way more wise and faster thing to do at this point?

Sending a private message to Radium about the URL rewriting proved to be ineffective in solving this issue before it affected such a large amount of users.

quote:

May 20, 2006 01:25

ImageShack Links

Radium,

Changing ImageShack's linking codes is prohibited without prior permission, via the ImageShack Terms of Service (http://reg.imageshack.us/content.php?page=rules ).

Please cease URL rewriting for any and all ImageShack-related linking code, domain names, urls, etc.

ImageShack will restrict access to the somethingawful.com domain name if url rewriting does not cease immediately.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

IRBMe posted:

Also, will you at least admit that it wasn't a script? We've all already called you on that one...

What I find so funny about all this is that he actually seems to think anyone fell for his magical script bullshit enough to actually start making demands on how things are done on this forum. Especially when you consider how much he owes his success to it.

He isn't the first and certainly wont be the last image hosting service on the net. I don't see why anyone should miss it, considering this is the second time a hosting service has imploded on the forums.

Macbeth posted:

Sending a private message to Radium about the URL rewriting proved to be ineffective in solving this issue before it affected such a large amount of users.

See guys, it's not his fault, they made him do it!

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This is getting pretty ridiculous. Let's shake hands, make up, disable the filter and use the direct link instead of the version that has the obnoxious URL tags. Everyone's a winner again.

Professional Lamer
May 11, 2004

by mons al-madeen

*mxyzptlk posted:

I would be pissed because pepsi is awesome and sweet, whereas coke tastes like bitter crap.

Suprisingly appropriate in the context of the analogy.

Macbeth posted:

words

In the future, can you include a section with just the [img] tags and the image url, please? :)

Professional Lamer fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 20, 2006

Matlock, BRB
Jun 23, 2004

by T. Finn

tres dessert posted:

Umm... looks like you're taking the internet a bit too seriously?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Macbeth posted:

But I...

I thought it was an automatic script????

Chipotle
Jan 17, 2006
Hey Macbeth, can't you just let us save all of our images for a second and then be a crypto-fascist again? I mean you make enough money of of this "free service", can't you just show some kindness to the forums? :(

EDIT- Oh, and why don't you ban the hotlinked iamges to Myspace ad other social networking sites? A LOT of those remove your precious link codes.

Chipotle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 20, 2006

Mayor Wilkins
Nov 18, 2002

by Lowtax

tres dessert posted:

If you think it's going to stop before it hits fifty pages, you're so naive and innocent that it's just bordering on adorable. :)

TehNSA posted:

Aww. That's not really fair. There's not much one can do after being hit with the banning whip.

Banning is not how I lash out. If you've never seen me put a troll in their place without pushing any probation or ban buttons, then you've been missing out on some fun, man.

THEINHKO posted:

You're like so fat, and you probably would taste of beetroot if simmered for 45 minutes if I was that way inclined culinary speaking.

You're ugly and I had sex with your sister.

CHEESE-kun
May 20, 2004

by Peatpot
This thread is almost spawning pages faster than I can read :haw:

Mr Creosote
Apr 30, 2004

rawr
This thread might just break the Sassmaster 4000. For a forum that seems to universally hate passive-aggressive poo poo, there seems to be enough of it here.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

igloo house posted:

This is getting pretty ridiculous. Let's shake hands, make up, disable the filter and use the direct link instead of the version that has the obnoxious URL tags. Everyone's a winner again.

I think it may be too late but we can keep a positive attitude nonetheless!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Bah, images are overrated. The wave of the future on these forums is ASCII art.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Mayor Wilkins posted:

Banning is not how I lash out. If you've never seen me put a troll in their place without pushing any probation or ban buttons, then you've been missing out on some fun, man.

I'm still too afraid (and poor) to tempt fate. :(

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Hey Macbeth, if you're in the morally superior position, why lie earlier in the thread? I mean, you're claiming you're the good guy here, right?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Mayor Wilkins posted:

You're attractive, you smell nice and damnit boy, when you walk by, my heart goes a'flutter.

I can win this.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

igloo house posted:

The problem is that MacBeth is complaining about what SA does with the SA forums. No one should make up because he's being a bitch about what sa should/shouldn't do.

IRBMe
Jul 13, 2005
Noopid Stewbie

adwkiwi posted:

None of it. Its repeating what Macbeth said and then saying "you're only pissed off because of that". Its a tautology at the very least.

OK, try this: surely this is as if Radium bought a Coke, ripped off the wrapper and put a Pepsi label on it. Same content, credited to a different location. Am I wrong?

That's a bad analogy. For a start, people use images as links all the time. There's nothing new there or wrong with it. Also as far as I can see, there isn't anything on imageshack that says "If you're using an image hosted here as a link then it must only link to imageshack!". Furthermore, imageshack itself allows you to direct link without the URL attached. What does it matter if somebody uses the direct link to the image with no URL attached or if somebody uses the direct link to the image with their own URL attached? It doesn't make any difference to imageshack, and in fact, there is no (feasible) way to tell either way (hence calling bullshit on this so called "script").

Now, I am NOT saying that this makse it ok for radium to replace all of the imageshack links with that of a competitor. What I'm saying is that Macbeth trying to claim that using an imageshack hosted image to link to anywhere other than imageshack is what got SA "automatically" banned is just bullshit. He's just using that as an excuse because he doesn't want to admit that the only reason he banned SA was because he was pissed off at what radium did.

And to be fair to him, I would be pissed too, but it's still a pretty lovely thing to do - especially now that he's trying to effectively hold the images hostage or something.

BATH TUB
Jun 27, 2003
Imageshack is so gay :mad:
Doesn't he know that I'm entitled to abuse free services on the internet in any way that I see fit, even if it comes at an expense to the owner?

Nutmeg posted:

The problem is that MacBeth is complaining about what SA does with the SA forums. No one should make up because he's being a bitch about what sa should/shouldn't do.

Maybe because it costs him money.

GBS is full of hypocrites. Somebody hotlinks one of Lowtax's images from SA, we have a 500 page crusade full of people looking up houses on Google Maps. Then the tables turn and suddenly we can't host images on somebody else's dollar and it's a moral outrage.

BATH TUB fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 20, 2006

Cooter Brown
Sep 24, 2004

duck monster posted:

Between this and your calling Macbeth a liar 20+ pages after the fact you makes me think you really need to read the thread or at least skim and read what the admins\mods have posted.

Mr Wilkins, I dont want to bash you. Can I have a cuddle and maybe some thumb war?

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

If the link was stripped altogether would that be a fair comprimise?

0d
May 12, 2004
How about we remove the imageshack "hotlinks" instead of changing them to a competitor to fix all the old stuff? This will apparently appease Macbeth but his bandwidth will be used and his adverts won't be seen! Then we all stop using imageshack. Everybody wins. Not that I care too much whether everybody wins or everybody loses.

radium
Nov 10, 2001

adwkiwi posted:

The way I see it, its like me using a friend's DreamHost webspace for image hosting. Except... my friend has this script that generates vbcode for me and it sticks a link to DreamHost in there.

Wex Major
May 3, 2005

PRO-PAIN

Nutmeg posted:

It's his service. I think he has the right to say what we should/shouldn't do with it.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Kefkanigma posted:

Bah, images are overrated. The wave of the future on these forums is ASCII art.

Penisbird represent!

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Honestly, this whole fiasco is unfortunate, but the only thing that I really didn't understand was the promotion of Photobucket, which has a tendency to kill high-bandwidth images and isn't made for handling the kind of high traffic we see on the forums. Everything else that went on is totally understandable, radium changing the links because Macbeth abused the forums for his personal financial gain, and Macbeth trying (and I would say, miscalculating big time) to protect his business interests.

PovRayMan
Dec 25, 2002

Never get Freudian on a man holding a pickle.
I'm pretty sure that I've only ever done straight up [ img ] url [ /img ] on the forums. In cases where the images were too big I would tag on .th just before the .jpg so in effect I would do this.

[ url=http://imageshack.woohaa/goyouallincheck.jpg][ img]http://imageshack.woohaa/gotyouallincheck.th.jpg[ /img][ /url]

So clicking would directly load the fullsize image and none of this php generated ad covered page.

I'm really sad to see how things went down because I love both the forums and the image hosting. There are plenty other image hosters out there, but the transition sucks.

Real Rod Hull
Oct 3, 2003

by Fistgrrl

duck monster posted:

But remember your also loving over the general userbase of SA with this, who AREN'T radium/lowtax/whatever.

Because the general userbase aren't in anyway being ungrateful cocks after years of free imagehosting, and ostracising him because it's the flavour of the moment mob mentality thing to do?

This whole situation is hosed up. No one's coming out of it looking good, not Imageshack, not the SA staff, and not the SA community.

Surely this whole thing was entirely avoidable in the first place?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Mayor Wilkins posted:

You poor thing.

P.S. That image is on Random M but I made it link to Imageshack because I'm a nice guy!

adwkiwi
Nov 16, 2004

I understand perfectly. And I don't care.

Nutmeg posted:

No, he's complaining about SA messing about with his referral link for, as far as I can see, no obvious reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Danbo Daxter posted:

In the future, can you include a section with just the [img] tags and the image url, please? :)
There is a goddamn direct link at the end of the uploaded picture's page.