Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
light_urple
Sep 26, 2002

Meow!

We had a kitten like this at the shelter - very young, very scared, and very quick to hiss (my cat's didn't learn how to really hiss for a long time, so I was very surprised to hear a full adult hiss out of a 4-6 week old kitten!).

Basically, you just have to cuddle the hell out of them, touch them all over, force them to play with toys (not hands! try squeaking/squealing if play gets to rough on skin - that's what his siblings would do), and eventually, they'll get the idea that you're not bad and you = food, fun, and cuddles. Try wrapping him up in the bottom of your shirt so he's close to your body when you snuggle - They LOVE the heat and heartbeat. Another thing my own cats liked when they were little was when I played with them down on their level. I'd get low to the floor so they could get right up to my face to sniff me. If a cat starts sniffing your nose (and you trust them not to swat at your face), continue breathing normally - that's how they recognize eachother.

What a sweetheart! And Barley is a fantastic name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

light_urple
Sep 26, 2002

Meow!

Assisi (the mobile spay/neuter unit that visited our shelter) did early spay/neuters by weight - kitten had to be 3 pounds. The male surgery is SO easy.

Catnip probably won't affect him until he's older. Try again at 6 months. If not, try again at a year. It took ours awhile.

Kittens need bellies full of food to give them the energy for cuteness!

light_urple
Sep 26, 2002

Meow!

If you make a calendar, this seriously has to be January's pic...

Posts Balls posted:

Then everyone can see where it all started :keke: