Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Animals know when you've saved them...I bet with a little bit of care and affection, he'll be a sweetheart in no time. I don't know what you plan for the future, but in my opinion, it's much easier to raise an affectionate cat if it is indoors only. That and it's much safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

bru posted:

that really looks like my cat did as a kitten. i found him on the street also. hes always been friendly from the start, although he was (and still is too a degree) pretty timid. if he dont know you he wont let you touch him or go anywhere near him, he just runs away. i guess it could be the same with your kitten, but as apposed to running it hisses.

and all cats bite when playing, i think it just takes em a while to get used to what will hurt you and what doesnt, i know it did with mine.

anyway, thats a cute cat... post more pics!

The bite inhibition thing really seems to vary widely from cat to cat. My oldest will give a warning before he bites, unless he's playing. The two youngest are from the same place, a year apart, gotten at the same age. The older one bites to kill every time, often drawing blood, so I have to make sure I don't do anything to provoke a bite. The youngest is so gentle, even when playing rough...she's just the sweetest thing.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Count Gretschula posted:

What's worse is that he did the same thing with a neighbor's cat who would always eat our cats' food (which I didn't mind, as his owners would go away for days at at time and just leave him outside)... only this time, the cat found his way home after two days. I'm guessing he'd been abandoned before.

Yeah, Dad was kind of an rear end in a top hat when it came to pets.

I'd have to explain to Dad that as soon as he becomes inconvenient, he's gonna be driven somewhere and dumped. Guess he better hope he doesn't get Alzheimers or something.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Mickazee posted:

My girlfriend found a stray kitten at her work last week. She took it to the vet and got the all-clear (other than a few fleas which are all gone now). The vet liked her so much she was going to keep her if we didn't.

Anyway, I've had her at my place the last week so trying to get to grips with keeping her entertained enough to not keep biting/scratching me when she plays. I've taken to using a plant sprayer and giving her a small spray but don't know how effective this is. The 'yelp' trick doesn't seem to do anything. She just pauses and then resumes biting. When she's settled down though she's adorable and will come up to lie on top of me.

Questions:

I was feeding her kitten milk (which was lactose reduced) but her stools were really loose (not quite diahhrea though). I stopped the kitten milk two nights ago and will check her tray when I get home today and see if there's any change. Is there any other things that might be causing this? The cat food I give her is dry food / canned kitten food and I feed her once at night with the canned and some dry food in the morning. I'll call the vet soon if it doesn't change...

Edit: She's been using her litter tray from the word go which was good. Although had an accident on my bean-bag last night (although her tray was quite dirty I noticed). I'm going to empty the beans into a garbage bag, wash the bean-bag itself and refill it with the same beans. Does anyone think I need to replace the beans too (in terms of that whole smell attracting her to the same spot thing).

In terms of behaviour, am I taking the right approach in giving her a small spray if she bites/claws at me during play? She seems to constantly want to jump up on me (which I don't mind) but will commence the biting/scratching almost straight away. I can keep her distracted by waving toys around but there's only so many hours a night I can keep waving a stick around until she falls asleep :-)

Sounds like she needs another kitty to take out some of that energy.

Don't mind me...I just want everyone to have houses overrun with cats so I look more normal.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Madama Butterfly posted:

Hey, my new wallpaper!!

I want another kitten SO bad, but hubby says no I only have 2 cats and a dog, surely one more kitty wouldn't be much trouble??

Once you get up towards five, he won't even notice when you bring in new ones

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Captain Stink posted:

What if the kitten has worms?

Kittens as a matter of course should see the vet at least three times and be dewormed. My kitten was thoroughly dewormed and there is always dry food out. She still bugs the hell out of me when I go anywhere near the area where she gets her supplemental wet food.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

No more wasting film on real estate. Barley is your ticket to ...well, maybe not forture, but definitely a bunch of awwwwws. That last pic is a heartbreaker.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Freedom Foundry posted:

Crap, I didn't realize the food's almost gone. If I don't get to the store this weekend, would it be healthy to feed him tuna?

Feeding tuna for any length of time is unbalanced and thus unhealthy. For a day or so, though, it's better than letting him go hungry.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

It's great that this thread went gold, but what the gently caress? It's only 4.88? That means people have voted it less than five. I just don't get it.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

I never noticed that off-center stripe on his nose. Could a kitten be cuter?

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Posts Balls posted:

Here's him getting back at the bottle that squirts him

He's losing his tiny kitten look! Quick, into the cryogenic stasis chamber!

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Awwww...you made your new light with a Barleyhole

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Oddity posted:

Well from experience with other things that involve creating things, what YOU the creator see as a mistake and flaws in your work, most people who want that item you created for purchase see NO PROBLEM AT ALL. If you didn't frame their dog right, or didn't get the focus just right, or any number of things, as long as that animal is cute as hell, or just reminds them why they love their animal, they will sooo happily pay you big big bucks.

I paid for a bunch of extra yearbook pics from highschool, even though I looked like hardboiled rear end, because my beloved horse was in them.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

AlbertGator posted:

What can you do if they don't like running water either? My little kitten actually never drinks water...she's uninterested in the water bowl, and completely terrified of running water (since her little butt has had so many baths on account of her digestive problems). She's on subcutaneous fluids because she won't drink, but she hates that and I really don't want to have to do that indefinitely.

Will she eat watered down wet food, or soggy kibble? How about trying low sodium chicken or beef broth (make sure there's no garlic or onions in it)? There's also lactose free cat milk, made by several companies.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Lactose free milk, catmilk, low sodium broth, watered down wet food or soggy kibble are all acceptable ways to get fluids into a cat. Of course, she'll probably not drink much water given a choice between water and something yummy.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Posts Balls posted:

Did I forget to tell you he is soft, so soft, are all kittens this soft?

It's part of their resources to lure us in. After that, they suck out our brains, take us to the mothership for probing, and return us and live as parasites for the next 15-20 years. They are really marvelously adapted for this.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

skoolmunkee posted:

I always thought that the biological reason that kittens are so cute and soft was so you didn't murder them for being a kitten.

I've never been that annoyed by kitten antics (and with five cats, I've seen some antics, at all hours), so I pretty much assumed they sucked my brains out right at the start.

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

Posts Balls posted:

Proof that cats really are aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asshole casserole
Mar 6, 2006

It's weird, though. All six of my cats go nutty for catnip, but all but one hate anything mint flavored. They flatten their ears and run away if I offer them mint.