Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Does anyone know what the difference between all the new intel chipsets for the new Core 2 Duo CPUs are? I can't seem to find anything on this on their own site, and I tried googling for this. If anyone has a link to a comparison chart or something equally snappy, I'd be very grateful.

EDIT: I actually found a comparison chart on Intel's site, but it's rather retarded, and very hard to get any actual information out of, or maybe it's just me.

EDIT: Apparently, I looked right past that one.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've been looking at some different motherboards, and it seems that there are some with SingleBios, some with DualBios and some with QuadBios. I've searched on google, but I can't really find any info on this. What's the use of this?

strwrsxprt posted:

These are usually found on enthusiast boards. The idea for dual BIOS was that if you managed to severely break something while overclocking (won't POST) or you screw up a BIOS flash you can revert back to a safe BIOS. The quad BIOS is similar in that it's designed to have multiple saved configurations, typically for overclocking.

So, if I don't plan on overclocking at all, I shouldn't waste money on this?

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 4, 2006

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have an LG Widescreen LCD monitor L204WT, but when I play old games that don't support widescreen it gets stretched. Is there a way to switch if it should stretch or not like widescreen TVs?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Zorilla posted:

Scale the image at the adapter instead of the monitor by using Nvidia flat panel scaling. This is completely broken in Vista though. I don't even know what your options are for ATI or Intel.

I found that but when I select "Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" and press apply it just resets. Anyone know what the deal is?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've got some problems with frame-dives in Crysis, Modern Warfare 2 and Left 4 Dead 2. It's getting really annoying to the point where I don't really know what to do about it. I've tried running some AV programs, cleaning up the disk a bit, updated drivers and such, but it doesn't really seem to help.

Core 2 Duo E6600
Nvidia GTX285
Asus P5B Motherboard
4 GB Ram (can't remember specs)

I've tried overclocking the CPU a bit to 2,6 GHz (It wouldn't start with a 300 Mhz FSB), but then the power button weirdly takes 5-6 seconds to actually turn the computer on, and when I play MW2 for a bit of time, it suddenly freezes like it's only able to draw half the polygons on the map, and then crashes. In addition, it freezes after longer periods of playing No One Lives Forever.

I'm contemplating upgrading the CPU to a Q8200 as I can get it "relatively" cheap but I don't know if that will help.

Are there any programs or such that can help me diagnose this problem, or is my computer just too slow to handle the games properly? The E6600 is supposedly the minimum requirement for MW2.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I tried just running that Prime95 program and my CPU temperature has (I hope) evened out at around 91-93 C, 195-198 F. That's seems pretty high, doesn't it? I've got the stock cooler on the CPU. I'm apparently running at 2.63 GHz, so I figure the FSB is set around 292, so it's probably overclocked a bit from when I used that AI Nos program that came with the motherboard.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I read most of that guide, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've deleted the Asus programs and rolled back the Nos settings. My CPU still runs a bit hot, though. I had Hardware Monitor going while playing a game of Generals:

Click here for the full 475x603 image.

Which one of those temperatures is the one I should be paying most attention to?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
It seems like it's correctly installed. I've tried vacuuming out some dust that was caught in it and the temperature has dropped quite a bit now. Would it be worth it to buy a better fan if I'm going to be overclocking?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
My local shop has a Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU that I've been looking at. Will that do the job? They've only got the Coolermaster with a 92mm fan.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've just upgraded my GTX285 to a GTX660ti, and I'm suddenly experiencing a loss of framerate. I just tried with Just Cause 2, and the first time I launched it, I got a very high fps, but I tried tweaking the settings, and it gives me 30-40 fps even though I put all the settings to the lowest. What should I try?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

TheSpiritFox posted:

Hey I've got a simple question. I've never replaced a video card before (always had cards last as long as my system did) and I just bought an XFX radeon 6670 budget card to replace my older slower piece of poo poo.

Do I need to do anything special when I stick it in? My drivers are pretty updated, to the last version that supported my current card and within 3 versions of most updated so as old as this card I'm buying actually is it's definitely fine with the current drivers, but still do I need to do anything other than plug the thing in and reattach cables? Anything driver specific to make it recognize the new card instead of the old one or anything in hardware manager?

Or should I just wipe drivers and reinstall anyway? Already downloading the latest catalyst.

I've never had any problems with just removing the old one, installing the new one, and installing new drivers.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Boz0r posted:

I've just upgraded my GTX285 to a GTX660ti, and I'm suddenly experiencing a loss of framerate.

Apparently, accidentally blocking the fan for both the CPU and the case can also have this effect. I'm an idiot.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've had a D-Link DIR-645 router for about 6 months and the past two weeks it's started dropping the connection every 1-2 hours. It refreshes itself after a bit of time, but I usually go into the administration and tell it to renew the DHCP connection, so I won't get dropped from an online game or something.

Has anyone tried this, or know what could be the cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I have both a desktop PC and a laptop. I'd like to get a docking station for my laptop, but I'd like it if I could switch my keyboard, mouse and screens between the laptop and the desktop at the click of a button. What would I need to be able to do this?

• Locked thread