Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Titor
Aug 26, 2014
If I wanted to recover lost data on a healthy HDD, would there be any risk involved if I were to boot from a storage device or a connect it to a computer to only read from? I'm curious whether or not you decrease the chance of recovering data from using these methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
http://i.imgur.com/EPbOp4A.png

I've been experiencing HDD issues and found this in my SMART log. Very notable is the Calibration Retry Count. Is it telling me that I should replace my HDD?

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Alereon posted:

Yes, though replace your SATA cable, run a memory diagnostic, and fix your case ventilation too. Your drive is running extremely hot, and the interface CRC errors mean either a problem on the SATA cable or system RAM.

E: Geemer is right the temperature is fine, all of my drives hold current temperature in C in the current column so I assumed that one did too. My bad!

Temperatures are completely fine; I keep my system ventilated enough and neatly internally organised.
I replaced the Sata cable and did a memory diagnostic, issue still remains.
My HDD often keeps spinning up and down while making a clicking noise when in use.

I'm really gonna suspect I might have to replace it.

Titor fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 8, 2014

• Locked thread