Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I've tried looking into this before, but the correct info always seems to be troublesome to track down. I've got an eVGA 6600GT (AGP.) What are my options as far as aftermarket coolers go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

TopGun posted:

Huh, strange. I thought it would work, simply because the computers at work use a dual-screen setup. They don't have fantastic video cards, and when I looked in the back, both monitors were hooked up by what looked like a simple splitter cable, which then plugged into the VGA output of the video card.

I figured that sort of setup would result in mirroring, but the monitors functioned as one large desktop, and in the display properties it recognized two monitors, so I'm unsure as to how it was done.

There are video cards that are designed for outputting to multiple (4+ usually) monitors), but they're intended for stock trading/industrial control room/serious CAD applications and the like where you pretty much need to have that many screens of information/workspace available at any given time. Because of this, they're generally expensive since it's a niche market. And aside from the FireGL/Quadro CAD cards (which can easily cost more than the rest of your system combined if you want good 3D performance) they usually have terrible 3D performance. So yeah, a good dualhead PCIe video card and then a cheapo PCI (or PCIe 1x) card for the third monitor is your only real option.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Dobermaniac posted:

I've always wondered... what is the difference between onboard nics, cheap-o realtek nics, and the 50+ dollar intel(or another expensive brand) nics?
And
is it worth ponying up the money for a more expensive network card for a computer that is going to be doing heavy transfers to multiple computers?

Onboard is going to depend on the exact chipset it uses. I've seen onboard NICs that uses the Realtek RTL8139 chipset, and I've seen onboard NICs that use Intel Pro or 3com 3c905/3c920 chipsets. For an average home network, I'd just use whatever was there. For something going into a home fileserver, I'd pony up the extra cash for a good Intel/tulip chipset/SMC/3Com/etc card.

From what I understand, the problem with the Realtek cards (at least the RTL8139, which is the most common Realtek chipset out there IME) is that the design/implementation is hideous. Here's the comments from the source of the FreeBSD RTL81x9 driver that explain the suckage.

code:
[/usr/src/sys/dev/pci/if_rtk_pci.c]
/*
 * Default to using PIO access for this driver. On SMP systems,
 * there appear to be problems with memory mapped mode: it looks like
 * doing too many memory mapped access back to back in rapid succession
 * can hang the bus. I'm inclined to blame this on crummy design/construction
 * on the part of Realtek. Memory mapped mode does appear to work on
 * uniprocessor systems though.
 */

[/usr/src/sys/dev/ic/rtl81x9.c]
/*
 * The RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.' This is
 * probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made, with the possible
 * exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC. The 8139 supports bus-master
 * DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance
 * gains that bus-master DMA usually offers.
 * For transmission, the chip offers a series of four TX descriptor
 * registers. Each transmit frame must be in a contiguous buffer, aligned
 * on a longword (32-bit) boundary. This means we almost always have to
 * do mbuf copies in order to transmit a frame, except in the unlikely
 * case where a) the packet fits into a single mbuf, and b) the packet
 * is 32-bit aligned within the mbuf's data area. The presence of only
 * four descriptor registers means that we can never have more than four
 * packets queued for transmission at any one time.
 * Reception is not much better. The driver has to allocate a single large
 * buffer area (up to 64K in size) into which the chip will DMA received
 * frames. Because we don't know where within this region received packets
 * will begin or end, we have no choice but to copy data from the buffer
 * area into mbufs in order to pass the packets up to the higher protocol
 * levels.
 * It's impossible given this rotten design to really achieve decent
 * performance at 100Mbps, unless you happen to have a 400MHz PII or
 * some equally overmuscled CPU to drive it.
 * On the bright side, the 8139 does have a built-in PHY, although
 * rather than using an MDIO serial interface like most other NICs, the
 * PHY registers are directly accessible through the 8139's register
 * space. The 8139 supports autonegotiation, as well as a 64-bit multicast
 * filter.
 * The 8129 chip is an older version of the 8139 that uses an external PHY
 * chip. The 8129 has a serial MDIO interface for accessing the MII where
 * the 8139 lets you directly access the on-board PHY registers. We need
 * to select which interface to use depending on the chip type.
 */

TopGun posted:

Quick question that sounds strange...

How do you guys use two hard drives?

Ha... what I mean is, if you're building a system, is it good to buy a fast, low-capacity drive for the operating system and a large-capacity drive for everything else.

I suppose that's a sub-question as well. On the fast, low-capacity drive do you put ONLY the OS, or do you put the OS and the applications themselves. OR do you use the large-capacity drive for both data files AND applications?

What's the right way to do it, or does it even matter, and does anybody have comments on something I'm missing. Thanks!

On my Windows box, I don't worry about this all that much. My "system" drive is a 100GB Western Digital, so it holds OS, apps, games, and whatever lives in my My Documents. I've also got a 200GB data drive that holds all my CD rips and downloaded installers and random media and whatever :filez: happen to make their way to my HD.

On my linux box, I've got a 9GB SCSI drive for the OS/Apps, a 20GB drive for my home directories, and a 200GB data drive. That way I can switch distributions/reinstall at will and not worry about having to copy off my home directory to another location.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

retsboLdeR posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I can upgrade the CPU on my Satallite A105-S2131. Currently it has a 1.4 Celeron M in it, which is 533fsb and 478pin. I guess my question is: Can I replace it with a Centrino M of the same bus speed and Pin size? I figure I could call toshiba as a last resort, but I have a strong feeling that they are just going to lie to me about what I can replace the processor with.

I was looking at the Pentium 750(1.86ghz), 760(2.0ghz), 770(2.13ghz). Would any of those work? Should I even bother undergoing this endever?

According to the instructions here, it should be possible to pull the old CPU and replace it with a new one. As far as upgrade options go, you'd have to find out what chipset that motherboard has on it (Toshiba's site should have that info...somewhere) and figure out from there what the fastest CPU you could use would be.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Anatole posted:

Is it necessarily bad that SpeedFan says my +12V feed is at 12.22? The rest are all spot-on the right voltage. I have a Asus A8N5X if it matters, with a Athlon64 3200+.

Even with good Antec/Sparkle/Fortron/etc PSUs I don't think I've every seen a system that has spot-on voltages across the board. There's always some variance. According to the silentpcreview.com FAQs variances of ~5% +/- are acceptable. You're at +1.8% right now, so I wouldn't be concerned.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Quick question about laptop hard drives. Are 7200RPM drives as big an improvement over 5400RPM drives in laptops as they are in desktops?

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

angryhampster posted:

Google helps ;)
http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+apply+thermal+paste&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Seriously though, just make sure you wind up with a thin layer that covers the top of the processor, and is not spilling out over the sides.

There's also this, which was posted in the parts picking guide thread a week or so ago. It discusses the best methods for different types of heatsinks.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Here's an interesting issue I ran across this weekend while building my new system.

My mobo (Gigabyte EP45-UD3L) came with two SATA cables; one with straight connectors at both ends and one with a right angle connector at one end labeled "HDD". With the way I installed everything else in the case, it made better sense to use the right angle cable with one of my optical drives. I originally had the my new Pionner DVR-216DBK connected with the right angle cable and my old Samsung SH-S203B connected with one of the straight cables. Both drives showed up fine in the BIOS, got assigned drive letters in Windows, etc. The Pioneer acted like it was spinning up to read a disc when you put one in, but it wouldn't ever boot from it/start an installer/show the data on the disc. My first thought was either a faulty drive or bad cable, so I swapped cables between the two drives figuring. I figured either the Pioneer would still not work (bad drive), or the Pioneer would work but the Samsung wouldn't (bad cable). Instead what happened was comedy option C: both drives work fine. For some reason the Pioneer just didn't like that right angle cable, but the Samsung doesn't have an issue with it.

Anyone know what the gently caress is going on here? It's all well and great that everything works fine, but all weekend I've been trying to figure out WHY this happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

Straker posted:

Was the Pioneer drive at, say, the top of the case? Only thing I can think of. SATA connections are flaky as gently caress compared to something like IDE. If the cable was forced to loop around and push up or down on the connector in the process...

Yes it was. I tried to keep my cable routing pretty clean though, so the cable should have been going straight in. Oh well, I've got a setup that works, that's what matters.

• Locked thread