Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've got a Thermaltake Venus 12 heatsink/fan on my Athlon64 3200+ (socket 754, sigh) and it is seriously loud as gently caress. I don't have this thing overclocked at all, so it sure as hell doesn't need to be this loud.

It came with 2 fan speed controllers, one that is bay mountable and the other would occupy a spare PCI bracket.

I've got the one in the bay hooked up but it does jack poo poo. It will work maybe 1% of the time. Could there be any reason for this or is the drat thing just busted?

{edit} After an hour of loving around, I discovered that one of the wires was slightly disconnected from the controller's PCB, so after some quick soldering it works.

However, there is still awful grindy noises coming from my box somewhere. I don't know if its my harddrive (120GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA-150), video card (BFG GeForce 6800 GS OC AGP), or power supply (Enermax 430w, about 4 years old). It sounds like the bearings are grinding or something.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've got an old computer (P4 1.4, 512MB PC2100DDR, 40GB HD, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB) that I want to turn into a bit of an HTPC.

I'll go ahead and assume now that this thing isn't powerful enough to do HD playback, be it .avi or .mkv files? I'm probably stuck with DivX and XviD eh?

Additionally, I've got a few external USB harddrives. How difficult is it for somebody with zero NAS experience to set up FreeNAS on a system and use it as such from other computers across a wired and wireless network? Networking is my downfall :(

Also what is Samba filesharing/SMB or whatever, and should I care?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 8, 2007

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Darth Ronson posted:

I recently saw this tiny USB stick at a PC World store in the UK - it's a tiny, tiny 2GB USB stick. I haven't see any others this small in any physical stores, so I was wondering if anyone else makes them this small - and cheaper - , and if there's a disadvantage to getting one this tiny. Aside from the possibility of losing it.

Kingmax Superstick. I have a few of them now, I got my last one, a 2GB, for $13.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have a 256MB 8800GT (yeah, yeah).

I want to get one of those newfangled 23" monitors that run at 2048x1152. I'd use that as my primary monitor, and my current 20" at 1680x1050 as a secondary (so, dual monitor setup).

Would I run into issues due to lack of video memory?

• Locked thread