Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
The SpeedBoost gimmick won't do anythin to boost performance if you aren't using exclusive "SpeedBoost" devices in your network.

I'd also recommend a Linksys Cable modem. It should be compatible with your ISP, considering most of them only require a DOCSIS2.0 compliance.

If you are only using the router to share the internet, the WRT54G is a perfect solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

Drogadon posted:

I have a Radeon 9600 and two identical Acer LCDs, the radeon has VGA + DVI-I, my LCDs are VGA-only.

The problem is that the one connected to the DVI port through an adapter looks bad, like if you turned the contrast all the way up or something (and no amount of tinkering with the contrast/color settings has helped), and it's not the LCD because I switched them and the crappy image is still on the one connected to DVI. Is this normal? I used to have two different CRTs so that's probably why I didnt notice before.

Do you have another DVI->VGA adapter to test? If not it may just be the port on your video card. Also see if you can tinker around with any settings in ATI control panel to make any adjustments to the DVI connected VGA LCD.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

the godzilla of pudding posted:

When I take my laptop somewhere where it can't be plugged in, I always turn the brightness on the screen all the way down in hopes to prolong the battery life. However, if I'm outdoors or in a well-lit room, I have to turn the brightness up to see it and I feel guilty and worried that my battery will run out quickly.

The question is: does the monitor brightness really consume as much as I think it does, or can I leave it on full blast without worrying?

Yes, the backlight in the LCD monitor consumes quite a bit of power. Turning down the brightness is an effective way to prolong battery life. Some manufacturers also have "horsepower" throttling services that can run to slow down the PC and use less juice when unplugged.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
I hear all of this talk about S-IPS, TN and other LCD panels. What exactly are the differences?

I just bought my first LCD (Samsung SyncMaster 2200WM) and its nice enough for me, and it was only $250 at Frys.

• Locked thread